Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Well i waited long enough to get a deer 430 tonight
Steve was very generous and offered a blind to me that still had lots of action. His only rule, dry does only.
I went in Thursday morning with him to another blind and he rattled and i watched and waited for one to come but it was not to be. Once 1030 rolled around he took me to another blind close by, this was the one id be using for the week.
Left for lunch and back in directly after. It was a quiet sit as i listened to things around me. It was time to head out before i knew it. Walking the trail out i jumped deer ahead of me, i counted 3 tails swishing along the trail ahead if me, i couldnt see the deer just the tails.
Things got busy and i couldnt get in again until this evening. I was full of hope as id seen deer last time.
Down to the blind 230ish and look things over to familiarize myself with the woods. Everything looked like it had when i left, the only thing new was a bigger pile of apples as Steve had brought more in this morning. Squirrels in the crunchy leaves had me thinking deer were constantly around me, their chattering was an intruder alarm. They had me hyper vigilant, looking for the deer around the corner.
Over an hour passed when the squirrel stopped running around and chattering, i relaxed a bit and decided to check the time, 415pm.
Wait now?!? Where did she come from?? How did she get to the apples without me noticing?? Broadside, wait to see if shes alone, 5 more minutes to wait and watch her eat. No other deer in sight, slightly quartering toward, cross hairs on front should in a direct line to the heart. Breathe, boom! Shes gone and the woods around me go to chaos. I see a deer run across in front of me to my left, more commotion behind me, there were more deer around than i saw.
I wait an agonizing 15min, with darkness fast approaching i had to know if i had blood and hair. I cautiously approached where she was when i fired, movement to my left, deer standing there looking at me, raise the rifle and shes gone. Almost heart broken, i relax and still decide to look for blood.
Another few steps and shes laying there behind a downed log. Wahoo tag filled in the last few minutes of the season.
No skunked trophy for me!!
View attachment 97199
Those were honey Crisp apples, I picked one out that am and ate it on the way down

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I wouldn't know those hot temps never hunted September for deer. I figure most guys who tag out then are getting a city/townish buck still snacking on summer feed. Honestly I am not even a fan of the first week of rifle season. Don't get me wrong I have tagged some smaller/medium sized bucks then but I actually prefer mid to late November. By that time rut is full on, food sources are becoming more scarce just better hunting all around. A few areas had some squalls towards the end of November but no real dumpings to speak of.
I was actually referring to your post about the last day being cold at -2C which is 28*F and saying it would be the first day it was not too warm to be hunting and that back in the day temps like that were common in mid October. Back then the season was Oct 15- Nov 15.
As to shooting big bucks early is just as good esp before general season starts as the big boys are more relaxed not having been chased as yet. Plus the meat is much better. Food sources aren’t quite as important when still hunting compared to baiting but all deer feed every day. Big bucks usually don’t go completely nocturnal until humans invade the woods the first day of general season.
As far as township bucks go I guess if you consider Maitland, Kennetcook and Walton towns then I’m guilty of shooting townies!
This is the first and only year I can remember that we did not have at least one decent snowfall during the season which is/was a little disappointing because I love being out the day after a good snowfall.

·
Registered
15,751 Posts
Here's a thought. 20years ago i had a Nosler partition bullet split in half in flight and found the two pieces imbeded in the apple tree behind were the deer had been standing.Even LAST YEAR I WAS LOOKINKGON THE SUN AFTER THE LAST DAY FOR A DEERWITH A RIFLE ,MY NEWPHEW HAD HIT WITH A 270SHORT MAG 150GR AT 50Y, I walked up to the deer after much searching and it was sleeping.It had been shot but no penatration.Just a flesh wound.Yes she woke up and stood up 5y from me and just stared at me for a minute then jogged away. Big doe.This Nosler might have done the same and a tubbling fragmented bullet would hit a deer , knock the wind out of him.:geek:
Cannot say I have ever heard of a partition split in flight or knock the wind out of anything
They have been around for 70 years and by far have taken more game successfully than any other bullet design ever made and still to this day the go to bullets for many hunters
Mine have sure knocked the life out of anything I hit with them not the wind
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
3macs1
Cannot say I have ever heard of a partition split in flight or knock the wind out of anything
They have been around for 70 years and by far have taken more game successfully than any other bullet design ever made and still to this day the go to bullets for many hunters
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

👍 100%

·
Registered
15,751 Posts
3macs1
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

👍 100%
This old brain is trying to figure how it could do it in flight with the copper jacket on it
But I can't

. Hit something first maybe but a slim maybe IMHO from using them for many years and still my go to bullet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
I've taken a pile of big game with them and also had a kill on a white tail with the 270win150gr at 600y dropped in her tracks so these partitions work Even at long range. Also had a confirmed picture taken of daul impacks, with a full refund from nosler company of a partition bullet break in half mid flight 30 30 win170gr. Cause, unbalanced bullet tumbling in flight, Some 15 yr ago i had one out of the 270win150 gr tumbling and hit the deer and kill it instantly as the bullet entered sideways and disenteged inside the odd looking entry hole told the story. So I have had proof of this over the years.I still choose them to hunt with. Man made is not perfect:oops: but It will Killlll:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't know those hot temps never hunted September for deer. I figure most guys who tag out then are getting a city/townish buck still snacking on summer feed. Honestly I am not even a fan of the first week of rifle season. Don't get me wrong I have tagged some smaller/medium sized bucks then but I actually prefer mid to late November. By that time rut is full on, food sources are becoming more scarce just better hunting all around. A few areas had some squalls towards the end of November but no real dumpings to speak of.
So tru,Down thise end of provance no deer in backwoods, all out around urben area farms and homes.Huge amount off hunters hunting these areas close to people,they the oness usually getting multiple deers.Wishh they change regulatiiins make it at leest 1.5-2km from home or establissment.Whatch the harvestt numbers drop then lol

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
So tru,Down thise end of provance no deer in backwoods, all out around urben area farms and homes.Huge amount off hunters hunting these areas close to people,they the oness usually getting multiple deers.Wishh they change regulatiiins make it at leest 1.5-2km from home or establissment.Whatch the harvestt numbers drop then lol
Strange you say that my brother in law has a camp wtf back in the woods down in Digby and there’s lots of deer there

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Here's a thought. 20years ago i had a Nosler partition bullet split in half in flight and found the two pieces imbeded in the apple tree behind were the deer had been standing.Even LAST YEAR I WAS LOOKINKGON THE SUN AFTER THE LAST DAY FOR A DEERWITH A RIFLE ,MY NEWPHEW HAD HIT WITH A 270SHORT MAG 150GR AT 50Y, I walked up to the deer after much searching and it was sleeping.It had been shot but no penatration.Just a flesh wound.Yes she woke up and stood up 5y from me and just stared at me for a minute then jogged away. Big doe.This Nosler might have done the same and a tubbling fragmented bullet would hit a deer , knock the wind out of him.:geek:

I think that's one for Ripley's orrrr William Shatner 🤣 🤣

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
3macs1
Just my 2 cents
Cheers

👍 100%

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Friend of mine called last night to ask if i could cut his deer up. It seems he was out Saturday afternoon and while he was still hunting back to his car a doe jumped out onto the trail 20ft in front of him and watched while he lifted his muzzy and put the crosshairs on her. A quick bang, flop and he was done. He says it was the 3rd deer hed seen since oct1 and he doesn't understand the 2 deer where he hunts in 107.
Its local pockets of deer and very scarce between them. In any case he has meat going in his freezer and no skunked trophy from me lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Strange you say that my brother in law has a camp wtf back in the woods down in Digby and there’s lots of deer there
That good.Nu membr here but from what i read in oldd post most members ignor you think i doo the same.Have safe hunting seson

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
That good.Nu membr here but from what i read in oldd post most members ignor you think i doo the same.Have safe hunting seson
Great you do that hit the ignor button.
But hey talking bout old post well that’s where he lives old post road ha ha ha....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Is this you
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Finally got around to doing up my archery 8 pointer from September. This time, I went with purple felt and some rope border. Turned out pretty good I think. Just need an engraved nameplate for the bottom.
Picture frame Wood Natural material Art Fawn

221 - 240 of 271 Posts