Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Both my older brother and myself both had dates at 2 sites of am bucks tending lick branches. I arrive to take the upper blind and it started to rain, he arrived 10 min latter to go the river bottom stand. The rain changed his mind and he came with me to the tree stand. We both climbed up and I sat on a milk box and he took the chair we then switched guns, he got the smoke pole. I had the sigle 30 30. The posted date timeof 7 am to 8:30 went by. I decided at 9 we will stick around to 10am. :cautious: At 9:15 1 of our dates showed up a 7 pointer:oops: He got 1 step into the open and the smoke pole went off. :confused: Inside the blind. tore apart the screen, some smoke in the blind . Then heard something crashing right beside the blind:oops: it looks like the second buck was arriving, This big guy ran right down the property line 20y and dropped . BBD, let just say the 4 wheeler comes in Handy moving the big boys around.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Female neighbour shot an 11point piebald last week. .
Then a 12 point with muzzle loader. The 12 point is coming here she said.
Would love to see a picture of the piebald, thats if you have one. PM if you or her don't mind sharing and are scared that 3macs1 will talk shat at you.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Would love to see a picture of the piebald, thats if you have one. PM if you or her don't mind sharing and are scared that 3macs1 will talk shat at you.
Yep you should spend your spare time learning shotguns vs kicking me in the nuts, I was OK to help you last week however:rolleyes: BUTT SORE for a year now you are
Plus he boils heads so is scared on no one :D:D
Cheers

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I remember seeing it when she posted it on Fakebook. Some comments were kind of rude. “How can she shoot a sacred deer” … and the likes. Good for her. It’s a beautiful animal and I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on that. VERY worthy of a shoulder mount. Not sure if she is getting this one done or not.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yep you should spend your spare time learning shotguns vs kicking me in the nuts, I was OK to help you last week however:rolleyes: BUTT SORE for a year now you are
Plus he boils heads so is scared on no one :D:D
Cheers
Spare time is only for retired folks and people who have time to watch veggies grow. No spare time here. Asking you about shotgun stuff saves me a lot of time, you either had that knowledge first hand or spent some time on the internet getting me the info. Thanks for that btw.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Spare time is only for retired folks and people who have time to watch veggies grow. No spare time here. Asking you about shotgun stuff saves me a lot of time, you either had that knowledge first hand or spent some time on the internet getting me the info. Thanks for that btw.
No problem only willing to help where I can and some day you will see retired folks have NO spare time if they are active at all.
Remember this and some day you will say my god he was right
Going back to work would be a rest for me and I mean that 100%
I am sure others retired here would say the same. It has been proven you push yourself harder and for longer hours when it is your time
Cheers
Oh yes like my tomato buddy and I say we don't grow veggies we grow 5 dollar bills :D:D many of them and anyone that thinks gardening is easy doesn't do it or have enough planted

·
Registered
919 Posts
Veggies are too close to the ground for me. I would like garden beds like the ones they make on Homestead Rescue. You know, the ones that start with a dead tree trunk, a bunch of dead branches piled all around, then covered with black earth and finally cover with bales of hay. I love vertical gardening.
Now that I am officially old I do more paper work and spend more time on the phone than Lily Tomlin from the show Laugh In.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Veggies are too close to the ground for me. I would like garden beds like the ones they make on Homestead Rescue. You know, the ones that start with a dead tree trunk, a bunch of dead branches piled all around, then covered with black earth and finally cover with bales of hay. I love vertical gardening.
Now that I am officially old I do more paper work and spend more time on the phone than Lily Tomlin from the show Laugh In.
I hear you my friend
Sorry Walter for the brief side track back to regular programming:)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Seems to be the strangest, hardest year yet, Just no patterning anything in my woods. Doe after doe, as many as 13 one evening then nothing for the last week or more. I have been going since last week September. Only seen on 2 point, 3, and 4. Terribly small bodied. Got tired getting up at 5 yesterday and going and seeing nothing. Stayed home instead to do some work and a recharge. Headed out yesterday for the evening hunt early to get to the blind and set up. Windy, cold, -1. First day really with the proper wind direction. Same old nothing as the clock ticked down. Started to fight off a chill for some reason, not what one wants at that time. 4:45 and wait a doe pops out on the old road below me heading to my bait pile. Half way there she is frightened to death by something and runs away over the hill. Before I could take in what happened, was it that bear again I get a glimpse of a buck as he jumped jumped the road below in hot persuit. Wondering what to do I gave it a couple minutes then grunted. Few minutes went by and I see a deer coming, its a doe. Its coming from where the one had run. She makes it to the pile and starts to eat. This was short lived as something again scared her of the bait. I took the rifle up and to my surprise it was the 4 pointer. Thinking is this as good as this year gets and examining him in the scope, he too becomes alarmed. As he takes of I see a buck coming barreling out at him diagonally across the bait pile. Not much light left by this time and having the rifle already up on that spot, when brown went through the hairs I pulled. The buck just accelerated. Disappointment, have I missed? why did I even shoot with such a poor opportunity? Down out of the blind, proceeded to the pile to only be faced with the 4 pointer who is there pounding the ground and snorting at me, 20 feet away. I left him there to search in the direction I thought the buck went. There is no sign, no blood. A few circles nothing out of place, no blood on saplings, no turned up sod, etc. Its really now flashlight time. Back to the bait pile with the 4 pointer still there. He is snorting again. I had laid out my bait in a long line this year because of the cranky porcupine not letting others eat. Looking further up the bait pile there was a big clump of brown hair. The hair was a considerable amount. Now getting a better reference I headed to the tree line. No blood but did pic up a track where sod was over turned. Yep he went this way. Still no blood to be found just the track, a little ways ahead I could see a head with horns turn and yes I had to finish the job there with the light. There was still next to nothing for blood to be found. Hit him on the run on the edge of the shoulder, appears to be the only damage, could have been much worse with the 356. Got to thank the guy that reloads my ammo. Healing day, my body is old and sore. Snow and crap here this am.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Seems to be the strangest, hardest year yet, Just no patterning anything in my woods. Doe after doe, as many as 13 one evening then nothing for the last week or more. I have been going since last week September. Only seen on 2 point, 3, and 4. Terribly small bodied. Got tired getting up at 5 yesterday and going and seeing nothing. Stayed home instead to do some work and a recharge. Headed out yesterday for the evening hunt early to get to the blind and set up. Windy, cold, -1. First day really with the proper wind direction. Same old nothing as the clock ticked down. Started to fight off a chill for some reason, not what one wants at that time. 4:45 and wait a doe pops out on the old road below me heading to my bait pile. Half way there she is frightened to death by something and runs away over the hill. Before I could take in what happened, was it that bear again I get a glimpse of a buck as he jumped jumped the road below in hot persuit. Wondering what to do I gave it a couple minutes then grunted. Few minutes went by and I see a deer coming, its a doe. Its coming from where the one had run. She makes it to the pile and starts to eat. This was short lived as something again scared her of the bait. I took the rifle up and to my surprise it was the 4 pointer. Thinking is this as good as this year gets and examining him in the scope, he too becomes alarmed. As he takes of I see a buck coming barreling out at him diagonally across the bait pile. Not much light left by this time and having the rifle already up on that spot, when brown went through the hairs I pulled. The buck just accelerated. Disappointment, have I missed? why did I even shoot with such a poor opportunity? Down out of the blind, proceeded to the pile to only be faced with the 4 pointer who is there pounding the ground and snorting at me, 20 feet away. I left him there to search in the direction I thought the buck went. There is no sign, no blood. A few circles nothing out of place, no blood on saplings, no turned up sod, etc. Its really now flashlight time. Back to the bait pile with the 4 pointer still there. He is snorting again. I had laid out my bait in a long line this year because of the cranky porcupine not letting others eat. Looking further up the bait pile there was a big clump of brown hair. The hair was a considerable amount. Now getting a better reference I headed to the tree line. No blood but did pic up a track where sod was over turned. Yep he went this way. Still no blood to be found just the track, a little ways ahead I could see a head with horns turn and yes I had to finish the job there with the light. There was still next to nothing for blood to be found. Hit him on the run on the edge of the shoulder, appears to be the only damage, could have been much worse with the 356. Got to thank the guy that reloads my ammo. Healing day, my body is old and sore. Snow and crap here this am.
Great story and congrats on a nice buck!
I usually never find blood trails more often then not it's a blind search in the direction I last saw the deer run, I have found quite a few bucks after dark with the aid of a flashlight their dead eyes still light up quite nicely.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Awesome reading! Congrats on that beautiful buck! Well done :)

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Good job you old Goat :p I knew you would do it. Nice deer Don't you carry a spray of peroxide
I bet you would find some blood spots back when I hunted deer it save my ass a few times
Take care

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Good job you old Goat :p I knew you would do it. Nice deer Don't you carry a spray of peroxide
I bet you would find some blood spots back when I hunted deer it save my ass a few times
Take care
I save the peroxide for my injuries :) I think I need a case. The wife being a jokester bought wine weeks back. She said its for the buck celebration. She never chilled it because no on she said would be drinking it. I told her to pay up.

·
GREYBEARD
3,057 Posts
Congrats on the buck TS, good story as well.

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Well done Tunder stick olllll boyyy !!! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then...lmao
I'd say that your wife owes you a case of wine...not just a bottle for all you dealt with this yer !! Pay up indeed..lol

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Well done Tunder stick olllll boyyy !!! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then...lmao
I'd say that your wife owes you a case of wine...not just a bottle for all you dealt with this yer !! Pay up indeed..lol
Or in this case one with one eye and one paw :p

81 - 100 of 271 Posts