Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I’m sure every hunter at some point in their hunting career has had a “buck fever” experience. 1993 was mine. Missed a B&C buck at about 100 yards. I was hunting a fresh chopping and heard this buck continuously grunting. I couldn’t see him but he was getting closer and closer, and my heart was racing faster and faster. When I eventually saw him, he was walking the edge of this chopping. When I put the crosshairs on him, no way I was steady. Had I walked another 30 feet, I could have rested against a tree. I tried my best to steady and pulled the trigger. He stood there and looked at me and then turned and walked into the woods. I was sick. Probably the biggest buck I would ever shoot in my life … gone, just like that. I continued to follow his tracks but no such luck. A kid in the neighborhood shot him a few days later. I think it was his first year hunting and his first deer. Not exactly sure of the score, but it was around 172 net Boone and Crockett, with a very symmetrical 10 point rack. It’s in one of the editions of the NS record books. So … yes it happens. even to this day, when I see a deer in the woods, whether buck or doe, it still gets my heart racing a little bit. I would like to say that will be your last case of buck fever, but we all know it won’t be. Keep on hunting !!

·
Registered
294 Posts
It was a beautiful day in early October. I unloaded the bike and drove into an area I haven’t hunted in many years because it’s about two miles in and too far to drag one out but with the bike everything changed!
I hid the bike off the road and headed in through the the softwood forest slowing down as I approached the transition area ( soft woods to hardwoods) slowing working my way through what was always a good area and one I had scouted earlier. I had two cameras in there watching trails with numerous deer pics on both!
I’d been still hunting appropriately an hour when I saw movement and caught the glint of sunlight on antlers, I froze, slightly ahead and to my right a buck was moving along and if all went right he would pass in front of me under twenty yds away. The deer was totally unaware of my presence. I was somewhat hidden by small evergreens and when he was totally hidden I came to full draw. A minute or so later ( seemed like an hour!) he stepped into the opening. That’s when I realized it was a big big deer, definitely in the 215-220 lb range, but he was old, more gray hair then Thunderstick!!! He is / was well past his prime tho and the rack, 8pt , was obviously past it’s prime and in the reversal stages,lol. So I let off with the bow and he caught the movement and looked straight at me but didn’t run. So I took two steps toward him waving my hands and telling him to smarten the hell up ! He took off like a bat out of hell then! I just figured he lived this long and deserves to live out his natural life span. Plus even the hamburger would have been tuff! Although I had this deer on camera 4 or 5 times before he never appeared again in daylight,so I think he got the message.
About an hour later I put an arrow through the lungs of a six pt at about 16 yds. Dressed out at 144, great meat deer!
Well, that made me laugh, reversal stages! Awesome story DDD, and is so good to have you back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Caught a full case of buck fever today. Decided to give up the bait pile as the bears have claimed victory over that. Ventured out to some logging roads with my father that I’ve frequented in the past, parked the truck at sunrise and started walking the edge of the clear cut. 10 mins in we bumped 3 deer over the ridge ahead of us, wind was in our face so I decided to let out a few grunts. 15 mins later I see a spike come up over the ridge where the other 3 went. Let him get within about 40yds and decided to let him walk. (2nd spike I’ve passed on in 2 days). Jokingly said to myself “Lord there better be some good fortune in my future” lol. Hunted the whole perimeter of that cut and decided to go out into another cut we’ve never hunted before. Got on a real solid deer trail around 2:30pm walking a hardwood ridge, fresh droppings still warm, scrapes everywhere. As we come out the backside of the ridge back into the clear cut, my father stops me and says “don’t move, there’s a monster buck out there”. Sure enough, 50-75yds into the cut theres this beautiful thick framed buck bedded down on a south facing slope in the sun. Winds in our face, he’s got no clue we’re there. Ok how do we get him now? Moved around trying to get a clear shot as there was a ton of whips and alders in the way. Got setup, thought I had a clean shot. BANG! Buck stands up, looks at me and takes off. Crap! Went and checked for blood, it was a clean miss. Shot right over his back. My fault, I rushed it. Kicking myself pretty good over that one now.
We all either miss or balls up at some point, it is part of hunting! Just you wait and see, you will get a good one! Keep at it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I’m sure every hunter at some point in their hunting career has had a “buck fever” experience. 1993 was mine. Missed a B&C buck at about 100 yards. I was hunting a fresh chopping and heard this buck continuously grunting. I couldn’t see him but he was getting closer and closer, and my heart was racing faster and faster. When I eventually saw him, he was walking the edge of this chopping. When I put the crosshairs on him, no way I was steady. Had I walked another 30 feet, I could have rested against a tree. I tried my best to steady and pulled the trigger. He stood there and looked at me and then turned and walked into the woods. I was sick. Probably the biggest buck I would ever shoot in my life … gone, just like that. I continued to follow his tracks but no such luck. A kid in the neighborhood shot him a few days later. I think it was his first year hunting and his first deer. Not exactly sure of the score, but it was around 172 net Boone and Crockett, with a very symmetrical 10 point rack. It’s in one of the editions of the NS record books. So … yes it happens. even to this day, when I see a deer in the woods, whether buck or doe, it still gets my heart racing a little bit. I would like to say that will be your last case of buck fever, but we all know it won’t be. Keep on hunting !!
Over the years I have come up with a practice of blocking out whats about to go down by looking away, trying to think of something else and breath, I found over the years keeping eyes on the buck just made things worse with the anticipation of it finally stepping out on the bait pile. At the time it steps out every thing is immediate, happens so fast, I don't wait, I have little time to think or shake. I never go to the woods any more for a sit unless I have two hand warmers in an old sock stuffed down between my first two shirts in the middle of my back. That has been a game changer for me, I can last hours. Some really cold days I also place them in my boots and gloves. Getting a chill at the same time you see a big one is not good, not good at all.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Over the years I have come up with a practice of blocking out whats about to go down by looking away, trying to think of something else and breath, I found over the years keeping eyes on the buck just made things worse with the anticipation of it finally stepping out on the bait pile. At the time it steps out every thing is immediate, happens so fast, I don't wait, I have little time to think or shake. I never go to the woods any more for a sit unless I have two hand warmers in an old sock stuffed down between my first two shirts in the middle of my back. That has been a game changer for me, I can last hours. Some really cold days I also place them in my boots and gloves. Getting a chill at the same time you see a big one is not good, not good at all.
Hope you buy them by the case. Way cheaper and my mrs will go through at least 1-2 cases a year and loves them like you
Cheers

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
I have the hot hands working levers:p Yes think they are grabbers I believe. Every once and a while I will hit a package that becomes so hot I basically have to strip down to get the friggers out.
Yes my mrs is spoiled and won't use those she says the others are hotter and last about 4 hours longer
Anything would be good for lever hands even a book of matches:p

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's my story from many years ago. Hunted all day not seeing much sign. It was cold with snow on the ground. While heating soup at lunch sitting by the river I heard ice breaking. Looked but didn't see anything so thought it was just a piece breaking off and going down stream. Hunted back toward the camp down river and came across two sets of tracks going through the hardwoods so followed. Came back to the river at a spot with a small island. Standing there scanning the island I hear ice breaking again down stream from me. I look down river. Nothing. Glance back to the island and then back down stream. There standing directly broad side to me is a beautiful buck. At least 8 point, maybe more. Not a twig in the 120 or so yards between us. You could not ask for a better shot set up. I say to myself, the deer season is over. Raise the rifle and fire right over his back. He doesn't even flinch! So I shoot right over his back again! He then runs right at me stopping about 15 yards from me. So this time I shoot right past him! At which point he finally sees me and effs off. To my recollection I wasn't shaking at all, just jerking the trigger and thus flubbing the shots. I got a really nice 8 point back in 2003 but that deer from 1978 is still the biggest. I've ever shot at!

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Congrats to all that harvested an animal!
Gary- you best pick it up don’t let the boys get ahead of you or you’ll never hear the end of it!

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
The buck fever episode that haunts me most was many years ago,I was in my early twenties.
On a big hardwood hill as I came around a turn on an old logging road a huge buck was standing in the middle of the road about twenty yards away looking at me. I was awestruck ashis rack was ginormous. I just stood there staring mouth agape for probably ten seconds and then watched him walk away, never even raised the rifle I was that dumbstruck!
As far a missing deer well that happened many times and will probably happen again.

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
After passing on numerous does early my son shot a big doe with his muzzle loader on Oct 19, the next morning he had his hip surgery. A week later he insisted he was going to hunt the General season so I had to help him get on and off the bike and to his blind into the blind etc etc. Kinda comical to see a guy on crutches hobble through the woods, got some odd looks on the back road with crutches strapped to the rack of the bike. Last week (Tuesday) he finally connected by putting a 300wsm bullet through the head of a small 8 pt. I was couple miles away but got there quick as I could and to my surprise he had it dressed. He also had a big smile on hi s face!

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Decided to get out early this am. Got in the blind early around 6:10. After 20 minutes or so snorting starts on the other side of the bait pile. Had the right wind, never stirred, not something I caused, could be another buck approaching someones territory. Light comes on and a hour later 5 does come by, that was it for the morning so left at 10:00. Snowed here all day, bait pile was covered when I left. Went back in at 2:00, bait pile is uncovered. Nothing until around 4:00 when a small buck jumps the road on the edge of the hill. Couple grunts, 45 minutes later he comes around, 5 pointer, skinny, small, ate two carrots and carried on. Beautiful day in the woods, snow and cold. Really don't think there are any big ones this year poking around. Nothing bothering the does it seems.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have the same problem TS. A few does buzzing around and numerous small bucks (1.5 years old). The big ones that normally pass through are not around. Checked all cams today. 6 pointer passed through yesterday and I have a 5 pointer that I could set my watch to. Saw him many times. Nothing I want to put a tag on.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Decided to get out early this am. Got in the blind early around 6:10. After 20 minutes or so snorting starts on the other side of the bait pile. Had the right wind, never stirred, not something I caused, could be another buck approaching someones territory. Light comes on and a hour later 5 does come by, that was it for the morning so left at 10:00. Snowed here all day, bait pile was covered when I left. Went back in at 2:00, bait pile is uncovered. Nothing until around 4:00 when a small buck jumps the road on the edge of the hill. Couple grunts, 45 minutes later he comes around, 5 pointer, skinny, small, ate two carrots and carried on. Beautiful day in the woods, snow and cold. Really don't think there are any big ones this year poking around. Nothing bothering the does it seems.
It killed me not being able to hunt yesterday.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Morning started off with a doe being chased of the pile by the 5 point who had a travelling companion with him a 3. They left, in come a two does each with fawns, stayed 30 minutes, they ate and left and they were then followed by 4 mature does? All these does and no bucks but the small 5 and 3 farting around. Another perfect morning. I really think the zone is showing the big bucks are way down in numbers. Hopefully these little fellows make it through the season.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts