Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Morning started off with a doe being chased of the pile by the 5 point who had a travelling companion with him a 3. They left, in come a two does each with fawns, stayed 30 minutes, they ate and left and they were then followed by 4 mature does? All these does and no bucks but the small 5 and 3 farting around. Another perfect morning. I really think the zone is showing the big bucks are way down in numbers. Hopefully these little fellows make it through the season.
Funny my bud was saying the same thing this morning and I asked how many did you kill there in the last three years and he said 6. But that has nothing to do with it he thinks
Cheers

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Funny my bud was saying the same thing this morning and I asked how many did you kill there in the last three years and he said 6. But that has nothing to do with it he thinks
Cheers
The side of the mountain I am on, 13 mature bucks were taken in a 5 click area two years ago. I am hunting where I don't really want to be hunting as the terrian is steadily shrinking. People from Ontario bought lands, its all being cleared for homes. 5 new house have gone up in the last year. The hill side is being stripped for lumber. The areas where deer once had cover to cross from farm to farm is now gone. Its very hard finding woods. What is left is where groups of idiot hunters gather fighting and sitting looking at each other. I am surprised no one is shot. Really going to have to put the thinking cap on for next year.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
The side of the mountain I am on, 13 mature bucks were taken in a 5 click area two years ago. I am hunting where I don't really want to be hunting as the terrian is steadily shrinking. People from Ontario bought lands, its all being cleared for homes. 5 new house have gone up in the last year. The hill side is being stripped for lumber. The areas where deer once had cover to cross from farm to farm is now gone. Its very hard finding woods. What is left is where groups of idiot hunters gather fighting and sitting looking at each other. I am surprised no one is shot. Really going to have to put the thinking cap on for next year.
Yes sir. I think you have it figured out where your bucks are gone
Sadly you may have to find a new spot :( as hard as it may be
take care

·
Registered
294 Posts
Cheers
We have seen similar this year, so many does and all we have seen for bucks is one skinny broken spike horn and one decent buck which was at night, usually we see more bucks and less does. We have been in a buck only area for years (Zone 3) maybe too many years because the thoughts here are buck numbers are too low. I even wonder if all the does will be bred, and that is very sad. Something needs to change with the regs.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
We have seen similar this year, so many does and all we have seen for bucks is one skinny broken spike horn and one decent buck which was at night, usually we see more bucks and less does. We have been in a buck only area for years (Zone 3) maybe too many years because the thoughts here are buck numbers are too low. I even wonder if all the does will be bred, and that is very sad. Something needs to change with the regs.
It had to be 25 years plus for us all buck until a handful of does tags this year
Cheers

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We are also seeing so much development around here, time in woods was once quiet, now all we here is people, cars and ATV's :(
Yes I smell burning brush, listen to excavator tracks clicking, power saws, dump trucks etc each day. Deer will still hide in these close areas but they are not rifle hunting areas, mine is heading that way. I hear a camp ground may go up next. Drove to Truro a week or so ago. Had to be twenty dead deer splattered on concreate. Man is developing everything.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
1993 was the first year for "buck only" ... at least it was for my neck of the woods. (Zone 102). I had 2 target bucks this year. I don't shoot she deer or small bucks. My one target buck broke his whole right antler off, so he gets a pass from me this year. ...and my other one disappeared. I know they have a large territory. I had pics of a bigger 4 point that was shot 3.5 km away. I'm assuming the other large one is in a freezer or has found a harem. I still keep going, because you never know when a big one will pass through... especially this time of year.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes I smell burning brush, listen to excavator tracks clicking, power saws, dump trucks etc each day. Deer will still hide in these close areas but they are not rifle hunting areas, mine is heading that way. I hear a camp ground may go up next. Drove to Truro a week or so ago. Had to be twenty dead deer splattered on concreate. Man is developing everything.
NS is the most densely populated province in Canada, and the population keeps growing and they want to keep growing it. It's sad that there aren't vast tracks of crown land like in other provinces.

Funny lots of people from Ontario and elsewhere think they are coming to a place that isn't crawling with people.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I took a university course in Toronto one summer. When I told other students where I was from they would state” is Dryden near Sault Ste. Marie ?”. When I showed them a road map, yes a folding paper road map, most people from around Toronto did not realize that when you flipped the map over, there was an other entire map of Northwestern Ontario on the back side. The distance from the Manitoba boarder to Saul St. Marie would be longer than driving from Yarmouth to Sydney. Most of NW Ontario is small mining towns, railroad towns or ports like Thunder Bay. Lots of Whitetail deer, a dwindling moose population and implanted elk. The amount of crown land for hunting opportunities is vast. You can even camp at crown land camp sites for 21 days free of charge before your are required to move your camp to another site.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well after 3 years of being skunked I finally get to add to the thread! I’ve been out a few times this season walking cuttings and sitting on the edges of them in mornings and evenings and have had no luck. Could have shot a button buck a couple weeks ago but the more I looked at him the tinier he got. Haha. So last week I finally decided I would put out my new blind and go find some ditch apples. Well that also meant I needed to find a spot for it because last years blind location is close to where a new guy set a stand this year. Private land and we both have permission so no harm no foul he was there first. Found a nice spot farther back and set it up. Few days later nothing on cam yet. No surprise really just dropping apples in random spot basically. Haha. Well the next trip up with a bag the place was cleaned right out! Pictures of a dandy buck maybe 10pt, sure looks it on night photo. No I didn’t get him:( Lots of does. So I kept putting big bags and they kept cleaning it. Sat today first time in blind this morning and saw.....nothing. Haha. 1030 rolls around and I decide that’s enough, other pictures were 8-930am. So I go back to truck to get apple bag and bring it back up deciding I would drop them and go for a walk around the whole area like usual. On way down the the slope from ridge I was on I thought hey I need to cut those two saplings that were in my sight line I hadn’t noticed before. So I stop, drop my pack get the saw out and cut three little twigs down. Pack saw up and look up and WHOA there’s a deer walking straight to my pile head on. Wind was from the side so I had no idea. And the way my site is I could see it coming at about 100m but there’s a low spot and then it comes up onto a mound where my apples are. So I lose sight of it and that gives me 30 seconds to get positioned set my Apple bag beside me and laid on my side with the rifle on it ready to rock and roll. Well he walked right up, apples at 50, and he looked around a bit and when he turned enough to give me a shoulder I let him have it. He ran up the side of the hollow and I could tell he was hurtin. He did that awkward hop and stumble run forward with one leg hanging. Well he made it about 30m, less than 5 seconds, and then toppled. Nice to be back on the board! And he was so kind as to run up on the ridge that I’m set on so all I had to do was drag him 50m along top and then slide him down the hill to the gravel pit! Haha. Good size body for small weird antlers. We will be eating good this winter. I will see if I can figure out photos on here

141 - 160 of 171 Posts