Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
161 - 180 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Congrats on the deer !! … and I agree … the new format is much more user friendly. I was hoping to grace these pages with pics and a story of my buck … but the darn thing won’t make an appearance while I’m there !! Still have a week and then another week with the smoke pole. I have a lot of activity around my camp recently. Two small bucks, with each an antler broken off, that I can almost set my watch to … a 5 point, several does and fawns. And recently … a nice 8 point. Of course … he was out Thursday morning at 7:45 am … and I had an appointment and couldn’t go. That’s how my luck goes. Congrats to all those that tagged out. There seems to be an abundance of really nice deer taken this year. I’m on a few FB groups, and there is some dandy’s on there.

·
GREYBEARD
3,056 Posts
Congrats on the buck Dave and good story as well!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Congrats on the deer !! … and I agree … the new format is much more user friendly. I was hoping to grace these pages with pics and a story of my buck … but the darn thing won’t make an appearance while I’m there !! Still have a week and then another week with the smoke pole. I have a lot of activity around my camp recently. Two small bucks, with each an antler broken off, that I can almost set my watch to … a 5 point, several does and fawns. And recently … a nice 8 point. Of course … he was out Thursday morning at 7:45 am … and I had an appointment and couldn’t go. That’s how my luck goes. Congrats to all those that tagged out. There seems to be an abundance of really nice deer taken this year. I’m on a few FB groups, and there is some dandy’s on there.
Kind of how our luck has been this year, late season anyway. We are either at the wrong stand, wrong time of day or completely the wrong day! Cams show deer, just when we are not there!!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Congrats Dave enjoy your harvest!!!
Don’t think I ever told you before- THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Well looks like the season is done. This year my team consisted of five people and it was a great success even tho everything went totally nocturnal for about two weeks. Five hunters and nine deer. Two deer taken from one area while the rest were taken in other areas miles and counties apart. It was a little rough helping the one young guy who is not able to walk as my son was not able to help carry him in and out of the woods this year and sitting in a vechile was not the way he wanted to hunt. Thankfully the 4 wheeler helped immensely. He shot a doe with a muzzy and a nice 6 with a rifle. Hunting has literally changed his life and his outlook on life and it’s been a honour to be involved in that!!! The only one in the group with a tag at this point is myself but my freezer is almost full and should be enough to last until next year. My opportunities were numerous both while still hunting and when sitting at bait sites I just choose not to take a second deer. Came very close when a big ten showed up last week with a doe but I finally talked myself down which wasn’t easy!!! If it had of been a six or four pt it would of been a different story but not really interested in a burger buck! It was a long busy season making sure the sites and stands were ready for everyone else and moving ground blinds when needed. But I enjoyed it all. Yes there is a week to go but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to go, just got home from cataract surgery and when I asked the doc if I could hunt later this week he said NO definitely not. Too bad cause this week would have been just about me and I was looking forward to it, but hey next years coming!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
One thing I found a bit odd. One area I hunt is along an old woods road that run for about 12-13 Miles,all woods. I scouted a spot to ensure no one else was in close proximity and set up one spot east of the road and another west, both about 500 yds in off the road. The east side had numerous deer both day and night. But the spot on the west side only night time not a single day time pic in five weeks!!!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Looks good on you for helping everyone else get tagged out.
Maybe once you can get out again and can see the hounds chasing bunnies well get ya out

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
GRATS Dave 'n Daniel, and everyone else too !!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Congrats Dave, I am loving the FU to the neighbours in the residential area by snapping photos on your front lawn. Put them on notice and set the tone lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What a very odd hunting year, here is ours so far, not very exciting either. I am not hunting this year, hubby as always is. He filled his muzzleloader tag with a nice little doe early. As many of you know, we try to be self reliant, so this year we really could do with that second tag filled, in order to eat red meat more than once in a blue moon throughout the year!!! We have very hungry young adults here, my son likes his steaks, lol. We have two set ups, at the first one we had deer fairly regularly, after 3 days hubby sat, no show and that bad trend continued! So, he moved to the second stand this week, we had two smaller bucks the past 3 mornings, same time every morning. Almost like clockwork, so after 3 days hubby went out this morning. No show!! Two stands, the exact same thing. Deer on cam most days, same time, go out to sit, no shows. This has never happened before, very odd indeed. Are the deer smarter this year? Nothing has changed with gear, gun, stand, all the same, lol. Weird.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The deer have covid this year … according to some studies .. so they are doing everyone a favour and practicing social distancing. On a more serious note … I have had a really weird season myself. The deer numbers have dropped considerably.… almost to the point of concern.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The deer have covid this year … according to some studies .. so they are doing everyone a favour and practicing social distancing. On a more serious note … I have had a really weird season myself. The deer numbers have dropped considerably.… almost to the point of concern.
I nearly choked when I read masks are recommended when processing deer or when in close contact with town deer!! WT very F!! Your right, the season is a messed up as the first line of this paragraph!! Still time, but it it not looking great at the moment.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
What a very odd hunting year, here is ours so far, not very exciting either. I am not hunting this year, hubby as always is. He filled his muzzleloader tag with a nice little doe early. As many of you know, we try to be self reliant, so this year we really could do with that second tag filled, in order to eat red meat more than once in a blue moon throughout the year!!! We have very hungry young adults here, my son likes his steaks, lol. We have two set ups, at the first one we had deer fairly regularly, after 3 days hubby sat, no show and that bad trend continued! So, he moved to the second stand this week, we had two smaller bucks the past 3 mornings, same time every morning. Almost like clockwork, so after 3 days hubby went out this morning. No show!! Two stands, the exact same thing. Deer on cam most days, same time, go out to sit, no shows. This has never happened before, very odd indeed. Are the deer smarter this year? Nothing has changed with gear, gun, stand, all the same, lol. Weird.
The deer are there when no people are but not when people are there. The reason can only be that the deer know he’s there. Most probable cause is human scent. Check all hunting clothes and don’t use soap that smells like perfume. Deer have a better sense of smell then dogs!

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
No indication of covid in canadian whitetails yet.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I wear a mask when I have to enter a retail store.... only because I have to ... BUT ... I'll be GODDAMNED if I'm wearing one while processing a deer. They'll soon want you to wear one in your living room while you're watching TV.... when you're alone !! Lord knows ... I see enough people driving their car .... alone ... with their GD mask on. People must be scared to death of this flu.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
DDD .... The deer are here when I'm here. I chase them off the bait pile, only for them to walk out 15 min later. I have 2 in particular that I can almost set my watch to. When there are carrots there ... they will come out every 2 hours until they are gone. Doesn't matter what time of day. The weird part for me, is the lack of doe's and bigger bucks. Places where I have hunted for 30 years with healthy deer populations are almost null and void of deer. That is strange.... especially when it's only me hunting that area. Good numbers last year ... this year it seems they packed up and left.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The deer are there when no people are but not when people are there. The reason can only be that the deer know he’s there. Most probable cause is human scent. Check all hunting clothes and don’t use soap that smells like perfume. Deer have a better sense of smell then dogs!
We use only non scented natural stuff, which we have used for as long as I can remember. So it is odd that he is doing the same thing as always but seems to be stuck in a weird kind of rut (No pun intented) ! But yes, there is a reason, not sure what yet! Loved reading your story DDD, as always it is great to hear about all the folks you help out :)

161 - 180 of 271 Posts