Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sat on Oct 2 The HWWA hosted a Newbee hunt at First to Flight Game bird properties. We had between 20 to 25 person hunting only with 3 dogs, one pointer and 2 flushers.with 34 harvested of the 50 phesants released, it was a fun and great day .It was a warm and windy day with a Smoked deer steaks wraped in bacon:unsure:, then sheppard pie wild things smokedo_O, then the huge juicy cheese burgers for lunch followed by home made chocolate cookies:D. I call that 4 course meal:) We hunted to 4pm then pictures which will follow. Our next event will be onNov 06/2021at the same properties.Thev owner Robert even droped me off two bags of carrots for hunting deer by my truck before we left. again it was a good day to enjoy the outdoors.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
The HWWA does some AWESOME STUFF for the youth and future hunters and shooters.
I'm SOOOO glad to be a small part of this phoenominal group of people !!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
This is the telling of one of the participants

"
October 2, 2021

Hants West Wildlife Association & First to Flight Pheasant Preserve

Some time ago I had a good friend ask me if I was interested in a day-long pheasant hunt. Um, YEAH! I’ve never hunted birds, of course I’ll go! What’s involved? I asked. Don’t worry about it, he says, I’ll send you info a little later, but keep the date open. OKAY! Fast forward about a month and here I am, an address, a time and very little other info, but I don’t care, I’m going on an adventure!

It was a very early start to the day for my first-time out pheasant hunting. Folks were supposed to meet 7-7:30 am at the Hants West Wildlife Association clubhouse outside Windsor, NS. Considering I’m coming from Truro, that’s a 90m drive time plus my stop for a much-needed coffee. Let’s just say my 4:30 am alarm was pushing it, even with the truck pre-loaded (with everything but the kitchen sink, just in case).

By 8 am all the club’s gear was loaded in various trucks and everyone had gathered caravan style (about 7 vehicles) to drive the 45m to the First to Flight Pheasant Preserve outside Berwick. We had some ominous clouds and some light rain for the entire drive over.

Upon arrival at the farm, we met a half dozen more car loads of eager hunters and the organizers, who led us through a maze of fields and corn crops, over some muddy spots and lovely scenic trails to our final destination for the day. Framed by corn fields and apple trees, every vehicle parked in a line. From there much gear was off-loaded, tents set up against the light rain, folding tables put out, and portable BBQ’s and a smoker were set, ready to go for lunch later in the day.

A note here: these guys are ALL volunteers – their time, experience, gear, ammo, birds and food. It was looking like quite the spread while we prospective hunters pulled out lawn chairs, camo clothing and hunters orange. Even a few shotguns were supplied by various club members for those us who needed one for the day. Before we were all gathered to get a run-down of the days plan, we were gifted a new hunter-orange ball cap as well.

To start out we all signed in, had a briefing on where birds were going to be released, were sorted into several groups so that each had an experienced hunter/mentor, (with noobs like myself this was important), and then directed to an area to hunt for our birds. Over the course of the day the pheasants would be released…. generally, 5 at a time, per area, as a mix of hens and roosters. These were beautiful birds. A smaller variety than our wild native NS pheasants, the roosters weighed in at around 2lbs (wild are closer to 4lbs) and these have a spectacular show of pale blue-grey feathers along their backs. They are very distinctive.

I had brought a 20g pump that was right out of the box which I was hoping to break in before the day was over. There was no shortage of experienced folks willing to walk me through operating my new gun. I had a lovely paracord strap to use on it that was gifted to me by a friend last year as well.

With all the activity and eagerness to find some birds, I didn’t take a headcount of participants, but I’m guessing there were close to 25 of us, ranging from teenage and up, plus the guys organizing this gig.
Three bird dogs were among the ranks who would prove VERY helpful and very eager in finding those birds.

The first spot I went to was a tract of apple orchard, with 4-5 pathways spanning its length. Basically, we had a dog and his handler with us, spread out 2-3 people per pathway and marched along in line with each other up & down with the hope of flushing any of the five birds we knew were stocked in the area.
Additionally, anywhere we went there could have easily been some native birds as well (pheasant and grouse) so everyone was trotting along on high alert.

Wooosh! Up comes a hen on the outside track quickly followed by shotgun fire. A near miss, a few feathers drifting down and a very lucky hen. The apple it flew past, not so lucky according to Brittany who took the shot. Turn at the end of the orchard, switch up positions and do it all over again…a couple times. We could hear shots at the other sites from other groups as well. Birds were down!

We had a beautiful day to work the site once the rain stopped and the sun appeared. By the time we regrouped and switched locations it was heating up. So off through a woods trail and out the other side to a set of scrubby fields perfect for bird cover and to walk through.

On a pathway we spread out 8 across with the bird dog and handler at center position. At their signal, off we go, high-stepping it through some very uneven ground and grasses up to my knees. Keeping our spacing and trying to stay aligned, guns up (never low toward a pup) we’re a line of orange beacons making out way to the far side of the field. Again “WOOSH!” and “POP. POP. POP” Out of the sky drops a pheasant. I think we took 2 in that initial pass.

While I’d love to say I got one, I can say I saw some! I made a rookie mistake by not reloading my gun properly after firing it my first time So, when a beauty of a male came up right in front of me, I wasn’t able to fire even though I did get my gun up and bead on him. That’s why it’s hunting though, learning and seeing and being in the moment. I’m confident I’ll do better next time, now that I feel more confident with my gear. It was a little hard to swallow though, knowing I blew what should have been a perfect set-up! Live and learn folks!

More passes were made of the field and more birds released for each group of hunters going into each spot. There was a total of FIFTY(!) birds set out for us and at the end of the day 32 were brought in. Not too shabby! And each time one was brought to ground the excitement was palpable. These critters were so good at hiding you could (and one co-hunter I had next to me DID) step right on one and flush it out. There were a few young boys among us who were proving to be crack-shots, bringing in a good number of birds in another hunting group.

Not only was there fantastic comradery across a large range of age and experience, but at the end of the day, these birds would be distributed so that each person who participated brought one home to process and eat.

Speaking of eating, the lunch that was provided was top-notch. There was bacon-wrapped smoked meat, huge wild-game burgers and even a wild-game shepherd’s pie. There were even some home-baked cookies being passed around. Nobody went home hungry.

It was a long but very full day meeting new friends and seeing some existing ones. By 3:30 we had traded stories, posed for a group photo and sorted through all the gear to store things safely and everything else was struck down for transport.

Needless to say, I slept like a rock that night and dreamed of flying pheasants. I may not have taken one down, but I got to see some beautiful sights. To me that’s more important then having a bird in the pan.
Here’s hoping I can go back again. With a camera AND a shotgun.

Darlene W.
Card holding member of the shoot-and-release club, ha!"

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Feedback like that Tim makes it all worth while. You guys do one hell of a job and kudos to all of you
Thanks for sharing

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
WOW...THAT'S A GREAT RECOUNT TIM !!! Kudo's to all ! It's what the HWWA does so well !!
I see he even mentioned the new orange hats Ross gave out to the new hunters ...kool !!

...keshun....Ummmmm...did you put that sheppards pie in the smoker again to heat it up and darken the potatoes ?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....I BET YOU DID !!! lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes it was a great day and the next one should be even better as it looks like we will have a few more dog teams. This will allow me to set up a special training program for the new hunters so they get a more one on one experience. This part of the program will help build confidence , by using a mentor instructor in a more controlled area afterwards if the new hunter wants to join into the regular hunt they can do so.

I also hope to have a photo showing off some of those " Gun Dealer " hats and the ammo with one of the Gun Dealer posters that we use. I feel very fortunate to have the type of expertise and general knowledge from all the members and invited support persons be it at the range, hunter ed, cfsc, and of course these events.

To the shooting and hunting / trapping community thanks for supporting the HWWA by trusting us with your courses. The courses are what helps us do the things we do, you are the sponsors in all that we do.

Mike O'Brien
President
HWWA

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
WOW...THAT'S A GREAT RECOUNT TIM !!! Kudo's to all ! It's what the HWWA does so well !!
I see he even mentioned the new orange hats Ross gave out to the new hunters ...kool !!

...keshun....Ummmmm...did you put that sheppards pie in the smoker again to heat it up and darken the potatoes ?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....I BET YOU DID !!! lol
Yup it had to go in to warm it up, no other way to do it where we were. I forgot the wood chips so we had to resort to the nearby apple tree for wood to smoke, a little whittling and we had enough for the day.

Next time im thinking about possibly a candied salmon filet as an appetizer before the bacon wrapped venison.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Yup it had to go in to warm it up, no other way to do it where we were. I forgot the wood chips so we had to resort to the nearby apple tree for wood to smoke, a little whittling and we had enough for the day.

Next time im thinking about possibly a candied salmon filet as an appetizer before the bacon wrapped venison.
:cautious::cautious::cautious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim Doesn't mention how some of us were dragging ourselves back to the main area.It was alot lot of stalk and walking.:cry: Shows me how i was out of shape. Next day walked to all my deer stands :oops:Someone said they had
a pedometer and we did 7km though high grass and even the woods for some of us. Kevin you have to be there to get those treats:giggle:

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
What....no more delivery???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kevin I'll be bringing back strap for the bacon delights on the Nov 6 hunt.Trying to get my older brother to come also my work buddy was invited back also.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
hope it's better than the LAST backstrap you had 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts