Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hope you have luck as well! What part of the province are you going to?
We hunt the West Coast. Area 11. Not far from Crabbes River/South Branch, then inland to an area known as Dashwood Ponds and little Mica area.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We hunt the West Coast. Area 11. Not far from Crabbes River/South Branch, then inland to an area known as Dashwood Ponds and little Mica area.
Nice! Yes I predominately hunt the west coast as well. I got a lot of friends down Burnt Islands/Rose Blanche area and will go over with them and help out moose hunt there, which is area 10, and can’t remember the zone in La Poile. Then in turn they come to my deer camp here for a week or so. My father hunts area 9. And my girlfriends family is from Gallants which area 6, and her uncle runs an outfitter there and have I gone with him once on a December hunt

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nice! Yes I predominately hunt the west coast as well. I got a lot of friends down Burnt Islands/Rose Blanche area and will go over with them and help out moose hunt there, which is area 10, and can’t remember the zone in La Poile. Then in turn they come to my deer camp here for a week or so. My father hunts area 9. And my girlfriends family is from Gallants which area 6, and her uncle runs an outfitter there and have I gone with him once on a December hunt
I also have hunted area 9, two years. Next year i am switching Outfitters. The one I have hunted with for 11 years will be increasing his price, mega time.Out of my Pay Scale. Least every year, maybe i can do it every other year?. The Guides are awesome and I do not what to leave them. I know another Outfitter, I have been friends with on FB for years. His price is really good, area 10, his success and reputation is awesome. Next year i am heading there. That will be three different outfits that I have hunted with. First was a fly in. Will not do one of those again. Too much waste of meat, plus that Outfit (which will remain unnamed, Nova Scotia owned) was terrible in the big PIC. Sounds like you have a good deal going on for you as well.Enjoy your season. Moose is addictive..

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ready to leave the Rock and sitting at the ferry terminal. Little more weight for the trip back. Sore, stiff and worn out but loved every second.

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
MOOSALAMI !!!!!! WTG Gary !!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
So the 2021 hunt was a success - great trip all around. Did the 3 hr trip thru the hills, valleys, rivers, lakes and bogs on Sunday morning to the lodge. First 11/2 hrs. were on side by sides then we switched over to Argos for the last 11/2 hrs.

Monday was the toughest and most physical. About 2 hrs from the camp the group of hunters/guides climbed a hill where you could look over the whole countryside. A bull was glassed in the distance so another hunter and myself along with the guide headed out to find him. The smart hunters declined the walk and went to the Argos to look for more moose. Cripes, if I never died of a heart attack I never will - we walked up and down hills, around lakes, thru bogs and took nearly 4 hrs to reach the area. The leg cramps later that night had me up screaming in silenced pain. The other hunter was in his 30’s and the guide was part mountain goat. We settled at the bottom of the hill where we seen the moose hrs ago did calling and waited. Half hour later a large cow came out at the top of the hill towards one of the other hunters who had a free Argo ride over and he shot the cow. Bull must have moved on but my gawd I was happy to finally get my body into the Argo for the trip back.

Tuesday morning was windy and clear when we set out and about two hours after we reached a spot to glass another guide on a hilltop spotted a cow and bull between our two groups so we doubled back because the wind would be in our face and easier to approach. When we got close we got off the Argos and ran along a bog until we reached the edge of the woods and made our way along a trail until we could see the hill the moose were on. Because of the distance we had to run I left my tripod on the Argo so when I got there I was beat and and wasn’t anywhere to rest the rifle. Because I had an either sex tag and the other fella a bull tag I put the scope on the cow. I figured she was 200 yds away and above us and only learned after I shot it was 205 yds. She turned for a second and i shot. Wish I had it on video because it went down then flipped in the air and tumbled down about 3/4 the way down the 45 degree hill which made it much easier to retrieve.

Now the funny part - when we got up to her she was a him. A small bull with little forked antlers we couldn’t see because of the big ears and brush. We gutted the bull there and shoved the entire pauch down the hill as it was still steep. Couldn’t save the heart because the bullet made a huge hole in the middle. The guide said the moose was dead before it hit the ground. Lastly, we tied a rope around his head and pulled him the rest of the way down to the meadow and then winched into the Argo.

Soon as we got back to camp the guides put it in the skinning building - skinned it, quartered then hung. Bullet went between two ribs and blew the heart up so basically no meat ruined. Next morning it went to the butchers to be hung in a cooler until I picked it up on Friday. There were 6 tags to fill and all were filled by Wednesday afternoon. Guides and owner were amazing. Moose now hanging at a local butcher and will be cut in a week or so then I’ll vacuum pack myself.

Sorry for the long winded description but for anyone considering doing this even once then cut back on the things you really don’t need and put it towards one of these hunts. Just make sure you do your research on the outfit and get more than one recommendation. And the best referrals are those that go back to the same outfitter often. And don’t believe Joe, (I don’t have lots of money lol) but I’m already saving for next year. It’s all about priorities!

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
That was a great story Gary !! Not long winded at all...esp for us that know you... 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Pete

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Congrats.....sounds like an awesome trip. We had some luck in NB. My buddy Ron drew a tag. We called in an awesome bull. It took about 6 hours to get him off the mountain and into the butchers cooler. >Pete

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Tree Boar

Plant Hunting Shorts Trunk Working animal

Plant Jeans Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Plant Tree People in nature Groundcover Grass

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Jaw Sleeve Shorts Pink Art

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Ready to leave the Rock and sitting at the ferry terminal. Little more weight for the trip back. Sore, stiff and worn out but loved every second.
Little more weight so you mean you put on twenty pounds or so while there and came home with that dickiedoo affliction! You best start going to the gym!!!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Congrats Gary- great story but too short ,,lol. Tks for sharing young fella.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
our crew is back from the Highlands - fantastic trip - pics/vids to follow.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Well done video Gary !! - would like to have a video of my NL moose hunt some day.

Which zone did you guys hunt?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Awesome Gary. Here is a PIC of our Trip to NL last week... I am not much of
Plant Hunting Deer hunting Working animal Trophy hunting
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
a story teller , so I will leave you with a PIC only...

Reactions: Moose Magoo

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Awesome stuff Gary !! ....methinks you instilled the love of the outdoors in Darren and Peter somehow....lmao
The crew looks they might be just a tad happy..happy...happy.
"BigBuck152" might have to now change handle to "Kilted Moose-whisperer" 🤣 🤣
Well done gang ...WELL DONE !!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts