Registered
1,795 Posts
Great hunt, awesome moose !! >Pete

Reactions: louisbear

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
who shot, Lee - you or your daughter?
Jennifer. I simply sat back and watched..LOL 200 yards, quartering away then head..All at 200 yards..

·
Registered
108 Posts
First year of Moose guiding in North Ont went well! I spent 16 days DEEP in the bush, only a 158km float plane ride, couldn't have walked out of there if I wanted to LOL! The weather was too nice the first week... it was hot and sunny every day which made for a great week of camping and fishing but mix in a full moon and clear nights there wasn't a moose to be found in the daytime. Week two things cooled off and the moose action heated up :)

A lot more pics and full write up to come when I find some time. Will have a full trip video too eventually, I got the client shooting on video but the moose isnt in the frame.

Sky Cloud Plant Military camouflage Marines
Sky Cloud Hunting Deer hunting Plant
Camouflage Military camouflage Hunting Cargo pants Sky
Tent Tarpaulin Sky Tree Shorts
Sleeve Food Staple food Darkness Midnight

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,517 Posts
awesome...can't wait !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Figured I’d add my successful trip to Zone 3 Season 2 here, now that I’ve found time. Between returning home from work, preparing for my son to be born in the next few weeks, and trying to slip in a bit of deer hunting.

I ended up going to Zone 3 season 2 as a companion hunter on one of my dads best friends tag. None of us were new to moose hunting, the tag holder being a Newfoundlander, and dad and the other campion hunter going to the rock every year the last 15 years. We hired a guide who was recommended to me by a friend of mine, who went in 2012 and shot a 18 point bull 2nd morning.

We ended up staying in Englishtown at a camp ground, as we took an 22ft 5ft wheel up. Met the guide the first night and went over the game plan for the morning. Up at 5am the first morning, rearing to go to actually get to hunt moose in our home province. Met the guide out on the pavement each morning and drove up the mountain to an area he knew, and scouted the last 2 months and had a nice bull on camera. We’re set up before daylight in a grew up chopping with the E-collar going making cow call sounds. I should note, when I’ve been to the rock it was always before or after the rut and never did much calling. Was anxiously waiting to hear branches pop or tines on alder bushes with every cow call. As daylight became clearing, I could see what I thought was a moose down the logging road, turned out to be a black truck parked. Someone had set up in the turn at the end of the logging road with a trailer between lunch time when the guide scouted the day before and that morning. So we regrouped and left. Went to another spot he needs, and upon entering a 8-7 year old chopping I found 22 beds, including seeing the bulls answers in the beds. Alder and maple trees eaten clean off at 4-5 ft high. We set up with the wind in our face and continued cow calling till dark. 10 minutes before the end of shooting light I got a glimpse of a cow walking through the chopping and disappeared like a ghost. Upon seeing the cow, we went back there first light, more of the same high wind, warm mid day and nothing responding to the call. On Wednesday morning we set back up in the chopping again, and dad and the tag holder split up to a power line. By lunch time we decided to change, to head back to where we were the first morning, but 600-700 yards away but closer to a pond/swamp in the area. That night we had our first responses to a call, but nothing committed to coming out.

On Thursday morning, our guide had talked to everyone he knew in the area and what we were seeing. The consensus was, with the warm weather wasn’t much responding to the calls. So his buddy said to go to a completely different mountain, where he and his father shot an 8 point bull first evening of the 1st season. But heard more bulls responding when the small bull stepped out. So we left the campground at 4:30 as we had to drive longer to the spot. Over 1:20 minutes in the dark driving a logging road straight up that never seemed to end we reached the spot 20 minutes before legal shooting light. Was little walk to where we were going, so packed all my lunch and stuff for the day. Dropped dad and the tag holder off at the first spot, then me, the guide went another 200 yards up the road to this clearing with an old sort of tree stand. This time he hung up these moose estrus scent tags, and turned the caller on. As soon as the caller went off, you could hear clear as day an audible moose grunt 150-175 yards away in the bottom of the chopping in the hardwood. The calling sequence went again seconds later, and this time you hear snap and crack of branches breaking. And we’ll before I seen him, he beat the crap out of a maple tree bush about 100 yards away. But he was trying to sneak through the thickest stuff and get downwind of us. Thinking he was trying to cross the logging road, I got up out the chair I was in, to cut him off. As soon as I stood up, I seen the figure of him covered in alder bushes 40 yards away, but no clear shot. So I stayed still as a statue. The guide let out another call sequence slight behind me. And at this point he was coming on a string. When he finally made it to a shootable area not covered by branches he was at 25-30 yards and staining right at me. But before he came in the open, I raised my gun and had it settled on him. I’m not a fan of headshots, but it was all that was presented and facing straight on. I put the crosshairs between his eyes and let a 180 grain Hornady go from my .300wsm. And watched him fold like a cheap lawn chair through the scope. That’s when the hill sting started and the guide give me a big high five and said he never seen one come in on a string like that.

Turned out to be a 14 point bull, not a monster we all dream of but a nice animal. After being gutted, the guide used this huge sheet of Teflon we tied the moose to, but a block and tackle around hardwood. Tied the other end to the truck (thankfully he was only 50 yards off the road). And what a slick way to take a moose out of the woods instead of quarters. What a trip I’ll never forget. I’m getting the head euromouted with the bullet hole inthe skull and will hang over the mantle of the fireplace at home

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Happy looking group of moose hunters! Congratulations.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
nice - adrenaline mustve been pumpin' - thanks for posting this up. Congrats to you & your group!

·
Administrator
10,517 Posts
LOVE...LOVE...LOVE these hunting accounts...they're done so as to drag you right in there with them !! Well done guys ! Thanks for posting and sharing with us !

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Great Story. Was your Guide " Lester" by chance?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes Lester MacAskill was the guide. Great fella, one of the better people I’ve had the pleasure of sharing the woods with
I Hunted with Lester back in 2006. I must agree with you, an awesome guy, plus he Hunts in areas that are not so much crowded with other Hunters..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Been a couple great threads in this group over the past months. This is one of them. Tyson also created another one with the Chronicals thread. Will not be many months before another one or two great threads can be given life, Moose Season is only 9 months off..

·
GREYBEARD
3,070 Posts
Great stories thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is my Zone 5, 2021 story. Multipart from our instagram:

Arrived home from the #novascotia Season 5, Zone 5, non motorized #capebreton moose hunt, today. It was truly an incredible experience and a trip to remember. Here is a pic of our #moosehunting crew and some of the scenery for our first day. Since the rut was over the moose were not responding to calls, that forced us to cover 20km on the first day.
Our group had covered 20km on Monday and the plan for Tuesday was to return to some of the areas that showed good sign.

Zone 5 had 15 moose taken from the area we were hunting during the previous seasons. The moose were now wary and pushed to the valleys. The rut was over so any calling would do more harm than good.

Tuesday the wind had dropped and it was overcast in the morning. We put some decent KMs on in the morning and regrouped about 4km from camp at noon.

We decided for the afternoon we would split the group with 2 guys going in closer to camp and the remaining 3 sitting on a corner where a valley came up to the top of the plateau. The entrance to the valley was a very gradual drop as opposed to the sheer sides of the plateau everywhere else. We picked this spot because there was a bunch of tracks coming in/out of the valley and one of the guys had heard a moose there earlier in the day. All of the other harvested moose from earlier seasons had been from other areas on the plateau so this area had seen little pressure.

After our noon break we went for a walk and came back to our spot at about 3:30. @ryansurette settled in about 200 yards away from myself and Ben.

Ben and I were chatting and he looked across the plateau to another hillside and saw a shape; and asked if that was a moose. I told him nope it’s a blow down I had already looked (we had been fooled by moose stumps for the last 1.5days). Ben insisted I double check. I got out my @vortexoptics Fury’s to confirm and I was wrong , Ben was right it was a moose. We could see pans but couldn’t tell how big.

The bull was located in the middle of a grassy field/hillside 900 yards away from us. We had to decide what to do….

Some Pictures

Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Vertebrate

·
Registered
156 Posts
Moose story part 2:

We ranged it at 900 yards, we had to decide what to do….

Ben, @ryansurette and I had a brief chat ; but there was only one option we had to go for it. With so little moose being seen, and harvested from the area before we got there we had to use every opportunity we had.

There was an old ATV trail coming from the area where the moose was browsing. We grabbed our stuff and headed down the trail.

We saw two hunters coming up the trail from the area that held the moose; we stopped briefly and asked if any other guys from their group were still back there, they said they were the only ones and were done hunting that area. So we kept moving.

Before we got too close to the moose we cut to the right and circled way way down wind of the moose. We ended up going down into a ravine, through a stream, and up the other side. We were aiming for a field/open timber patch a couple hundred yards downwind of the bull.

During this spot and stalk we were living our @stevenrinella @janis_putelis @meateater dreams. Which was extra special considering it was in the #capebretonhighlands

As we emerge from the ravine and walk up into the hillside/open timber we spot the moose in the tree line of the area we last saw it in. It was a bull and it looked big.

We had closed to 180yards but still had an alder patch with running water between us and the hillside where the bull was standing.

While we took a moment to appreciate the animal , I realized the bull had made us. It was staring directly at us, had its nose up in the air with lips smacking trying to scent us. That image, nose up, pans shining, bell hanging lips smacking will be forever engrained in my memory. My heart sunk was the bull going to bolt?

I could only see the head, neck and front quarter. My heart was pounding, I was setup with my shooting stick, gun ready, looking down the scope; @ryansurette was standing to my right and Ben was cautiously checking to see if we could close the gap more.

Ben moved uphill a tad. The bull steps out and turns to walk into the trees. Time and space stops and I realize it is now or never and pull the trigger…
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Ecoregion

41 - 60 of 84 Posts