Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, no one else started a post this year so i did. Here my success story, yesterday in a no name blind i watched a spike horn for 10mins. then the wind till dark. Allot of soul searching letting that piece of sweet meat walk. But I wanted the deer we call the antelope. Long spike point inwards in velvet. So hit the spot again this afternoon. All Quiet till 5:50 then who walked out, the antelope what he's now a 4 point. Oh well, the spoke pole barked down he went, my usual rainy day spine day shot no chasing. Waited a full15 min loaded up and had to finish him with one to the neck. I was so close that his last breath was smoke. In 45 min he was home in the garage. Suppersicky was hunting the lower stand and joined me for cleaning and skinning. A good start to the season.:)

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Congratulations on your buck Long Range! ,it's nice to see guys getting some on the ground .I can't hunt this year because of a medical issue that i'm waiting for surgery on ,so i'll have to enjoy this fall through everbody else's success .

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Heres my story and im sticking to it
Up at 530, out the door by 6, sitting in the blind by645.
The moon was bright enough i didnt need additional lighting to get into the blind, the wispy fog was playing havoc with identifying anything in the early morning light.
I sat almost motionless until 830 then because my hands were cold i put them inside my jacket to warm up. I had been told that there were several dry does, a couple spikes, a 6pt snd a 10pt coming in daily between 7 and 9. 9 came and went, 930 same, i sent my wife a message 945 telling her its not looking good for today and ill pack it in at 10.
I no more than sent it off and im preparing to leave, one final visual sweep before i go... Deer!! Deer!! Coming in through the trees, leaving can wait.
I watch as the deer makes its way to the clearing , slowly walking in straight on. Im in a tree stand, ok a popup on a platform 25ft up. I shoulder the muzzle loader, put the crosshairs on and wait for my broadside shot, one step, another step, turn, i see antler!! Crosshairs just above the elbow and BOOM!
The smoke clears and the deer is down, no tracking.
Now the real work starts
Off to get longrange and his quad, come back load it up, back to the shed where its gutted and skinned before cutting in half and putting it in the cooler for 2 weeks. Now i gotta wait for general season.
Plant Reptile Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Congratulations on your buck Long Range! ,it's nice to see guys getting some on the ground .I can't hunt this year because of a medical issue that i'm waiting for surgery on ,so i'll have to enjoy this fall through everbody else's success .
Sorry to hear your health side lined you for the season , best wishes and speedy recovery after surgery .

1 - 20 of 241 Posts