Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
141 - 160 of 241 Posts

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Interesting that I can find lots of info on Whitetail diseases out of several U.S. states but very few from Canada by province.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Maybe a number of reasons for the poor condition of the above mentioned deer.
Yep for sure but none of them is good IMO for eating :( Then again to each their own

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Well, I'm taking a full Rockey first time deer hunting tomorrow and giving him the best blind to hunt in.Will call and rattle and see if one of the4 bucks will make an appearance. Made two false scrapes today and scented them. To give him a chance at a trophy from the start.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
….. so big game hunting ended for me on Nov. 1st. Shot my biggest deer over the many years of hunting. Not the biggest head gear but very heavy deer. Knew this buck was in the area over the last few years but he didn’t seem to like showing during the day. Couldn‘t believe when he stepped out from behind some trees at 9:45 am and thankfully I was there to greet him. Shouldered my .300 savage 99 (yes Joe a lever action :giggle:) and the Hornady SST 150 gr. dropped him where he stood. After gutting him I went for my pelican sled and quad which were a 20 minute walk away. Once I got him out to the truck I needed to figure out how to get him into the truck box as my hunting buddy had an appt that morning. Fortunately I found a 3/4“ old plywood so used that as a ramp to get him in. Grabbed the antlers and pulled him up a few inches at a time until he was in. It was hellish warm that day but had him to the butcher by noon for skinning and hanging.

Shot a small buck with my ML in early Oct. My buddy and I skinned him out (quartered and cut out the loins and backstraps) and brought the meat home for hanging and butchering.

In early Sept. I shot a small bull moose in NL with the Tikka 7 mm rem mag so as long as the freezers keep working I won’t go hungry.

Been very fortunate the last few seasons to have been in the right place at the right time although I do spend most days in the woods either scouting or hunting. Best of luck to anyone still hunting - the rut is heating up and the bucks are traveling.

Butcher Composite material Event Working animal Meat

· Registered
5,073 Posts
….. so big game hunting ended for me on Nov. 1st. Shot my biggest deer over the many years of hunting. Not the biggest head gear but very heavy deer. Knew this buck was in the area over the last few years but he didn’t seem to like showing during the day. Couldn‘t believe when he stepped out from behind some trees at 9:45 am and thankfully I was there to greet him. Shouldered my .300 savage 99 (yes Joe a lever action :giggle:) and the Hornady SST 150 gr. dropped him where he stood. After gutting him I went for my pelican sled and quad which were a 20 minute walk away. Once I got him out to the truck I needed to figure out how to get him into the truck box as my hunting buddy had an appt that morning. Fortunately I found a 3/4“ old plywood so used that as a ramp to get him in. Grabbed the antlers and pulled him up a few inches at a time until he was in. It was hellish warm that day but had him to the butcher by noon for skinning and hanging.

Shot a small buck with my ML in early Oct. My buddy and I skinned him out (quartered and cut out the loins and backstraps) and brought the meat home for hanging and butchering.

In early Sept. I shot a small bull moose in NL with the Tikka 7 mm rem mag so as long as the freezers keep working I won’t go hungry.

Been very fortunate the last few seasons to have been in the right place at the right time although I do spend most days in the woods either scouting or hunting. Best of luck to anyone still hunting - the rut is heating up and the bucks are traveling.

View attachment 98937
Nice deer congrats. Looks like his neck was thickening. A few years back I bought a couple of those rear carrier baskets, one for my truck, one for the side by side. I modified them so one can fold them up out of the way and pin them on the receiver. They really help stop one from getting a hernia pulling a large deer by yourself over the tail gate.:)

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Great hunting season Moose Magoo. >Pete

Reactions: Moose Magoo

· Registered
277 Posts
Well, now that I've had my visit from DNR, I can tell the story, what there is of it.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Remembrance Day for me is different now. Between losing the ceremony I used to participate in for the seniors due to Covid, and losing a classmate in the Stalker 22 crash, I appreciate solitude over crowds to remember.
So late Thursday evening, thinking about how to remember on Friday, I talked it over with my SO and decided to have her drop me off close to a hunting spot I've been to before. It isn't a spot where I have seen many hunters so I didn't expect any company or noise. So, I walked in before sunrise using the light of false dawn and settled myself into a little spot I had used before to observe the local deer population. It isn't a blind, but the lay of the land gives a comfortable place to sit where, if you are still the deer generally don't notice you and your scent isn't carried to them.
I sat quietly, enjoying the sunrise in front of me.
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape Wood

I saw several ducks flying into a pond close by. I had several squirrels come in close before realizing that I was there, and then almost falling over when they saw me. A group of chickadees came through, perching on the trees around me and having a great conversation. Overall, a nice quiet time to reflect on lost comrades and those who have gone before.
Then a little after 9 I saw a doe working her way along the trail toward me. I had a doe tag and she looked to be a good size so I was happy to harvest her if she presented a target. She came up the trail to the copse of fir about 25 yards out, browsing as she went, and then worked her way left, following the trees, until she got to where the path came through the trees and then she walked her way through toward me again, heading to the right. Suddenly she froze, staring directly at me. I hadn't moved or made a sound so I had to think for a moment as to what she was looking at. Then I realized that my breath was visible. It wasn't right beside my head but as it rose, it caught the sunlight so it was showing up 6-12 inches away from my head. I didn't move. I slowed my respiration to extend out the exhale, so that my breath looked less like puffs of breath and more like a constant stream of vapor. She stood there and stared for what felt like 5 minutes. Then she stomped a couple times. When I didn't react, she went back to browsing and working her way toward the right. I hadn't gotten my rifle up before she could see me so I wasn't ready yet. Now that she was browsing again, I waiting until her head was behind a low bush to bring my rifle up. She was quartering to, so I slipped the safety off and took aim using the far leg as an aim line. Then I squeezed the trigger.
The doe leapt off, bounding further to the right and away from my position. She seemed to run in a relaxed way, like she was just being cautious and getting away from the unfamiliar noise, not terrified. I sat back shaking. Had I hit her? How could I not at 20 yards? I would wait the 20 minutes or so, before going out to check. I let my wife know and she wanted to know if she should bring the boys down to help drag the doe out. I told her to wait as I wasn't even sure I had a doe to drag out yet.
After the 20 minutes of sitting and wondering, I went out to where I had shot at her. There were several tuffs of fur. That was a good sign. But, there wasn't any blood. Hmm. I scouted around, not finding any blood close. I followed a couple deer trails through the woods to the right, where I though she had gone: no blood. Oh oh. Finally, I walked toward where she had come from and there was a splash of pink blood on a rock. A good sign! Then there she was, only 20 yards away from where I had shot. I figure she was about 150lbs undressed. Field dressed her and dragged her out to where the boys could find me and help get her the rest of the way. My shot looked to be a little low from where I thought I was aiming, and she must have lifted the near leg as I shot. The round had shattered the front leg, went through both lungs and the top of the heart, exiting just behind the far leg. Not bad for my first non-broadside shot. This is only my second deer ever.
Now, for the DNR visit.
After we got the deer home and hung, I went out with my wife, scouting for logging roads that we could drive for grouse or pheasant. I got a text from my son that DNR had stopped by the house and was looking for me. I figured they wanted to verify my doe tag. He left his card and I called the number on it when I got home. No answer. I tried again on Saturday. No answer. Then, while I was at church Sunday morning, I get another text that DNR had stopped by and he would return after 1. So I got to meet him just after 1. Of course he checked my licenses. Everything was in order, registration codes and all. Then he asks me about where I was hunting. Now, the area I was in was up on a list of potential places to become a Provincial Park about ten years ago. I knew this but it had never become a Park and the information document I had from the provincial website said that one of the uses of the area was hunting. So, I figured I was all good. It wasn't a park. Well, I was wrong. When the area was placed on the short list to become a park, it was moved to being a reserved property. The provincial park act also covers these reserves which means you can't hunt on them. Unless you read the act itself, you wouldn't know that. There are no links or information on the website. In fact even places that have links often lead to 404 errors. Anyway, long story short, I get a warning on my record for hunting in that area, that's it. Guess I have to find another area to hunt next year.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Thunderstick said:
“Nice deer congrats. Looks like his neck was thickening. A few years back I bought a couple of those rear carrier baskets, one for my truck, one for the side by side. I modified them so one can fold them up out of the way and pin them on the receiver. They really help stop one from getting a hernia pulling a large deer by yourself over the tail gate.:)

Neck was thick but still lots of fat and the meat is very good. Good idea to have a carrier basket but we have a spot at the farm to back the truck up to a knoll then slide the deer into the box but I was in a hurry to get the buck to the butcher by noon so didn’t take the extra few minutes to do this. Really stupid of me though because a recent CAT scan of left side pain I’ve been having this year showed a small hernia and a kidney stone. Doc said don’t do any heavy lifting or pulling to keep the hernia in check. Luckily just my shoulders felt the pain over the next few days.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Thunderstick said:
“Nice deer congrats. Looks like his neck was thickening. A few years back I bought a couple of those rear carrier baskets, one for my truck, one for the side by side. I modified them so one can fold them up out of the way and pin them on the receiver. They really help stop one from getting a hernia pulling a large deer by yourself over the tail gate.:)

Neck was thick but still lots of fat and the meat is very good. Good idea to have a carrier basket but we have a spot at the farm to back the truck up to a knoll then slide the deer into the box but I was in a hurry to get the buck to the butcher by noon so didn’t take the extra few minutes to do this. Really stupid of me though because a recent CAT scan of left side pain I’ve been having this year showed a small hernia and a kidney stone. Doc said don’t do any heavy lifting or pulling to keep the hernia in check. Luckily just my shoulders felt the pain over the next few days.
Its crazy reading your post just how many of us have simular injuries. Guess were all getting old, hunting through the pain. I did way more than I should have too. Maybe heal up over the winter.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Well, now that I've had my visit from DNR, I can tell the story, what there is of it.
r.
Now, for the DNR visit.
After we got the deer home and hung, I went out with my wife, scouting for logging roads that we could drive for grouse or pheasant. I got a text from my son that DNR had stopped by the house and was looking for me. I figured they wanted to verify my doe tag. He left his card and I called the number on it when I got home. No answer. I tried again on Saturday. No answer. Then, while I was at church Sunday morning, I get another text that DNR had stopped by and he would return after 1. So I got to meet him just after 1. Of course he checked my licenses. Everything was in order, registration codes and all. Then he asks me about where I was hunting. Now, the area I was in was up on a list of potential places to become a Provincial Park about ten years ago. I knew this but it had never become a Park and the information document I had from the provincial website said that one of the uses of the area was hunting. So, I figured I was all good. It wasn't a park. Well, I was wrong. When the area was placed on the short list to become a park, it was moved to being a reserved property. The provincial park act also covers these reserves which means you can't hunt on them. Unless you read the act itself, you wouldn't know that. There are no links or information on the website. In fact even places that have links often lead to 404 errors. Anyway, long story short, I get a warning on my record for hunting in that area, that's it. Guess I have to find another area to hunt next year.
You were fortunate not to be charged. I am shocked they let you keep the deer normally they don't even with a warning
Cheers

· Registered
277 Posts
You were fortunate not to be charged. I am shocked they let you keep the deer normally they don't even with a warning
Cheers
I know of one other who also got a warning, for the same reason. It's not marked as a park, there isn't any signage.
He also told me he ticketed someone that week for getting a deer there but he was firing from the road.
I haven't had bad experiences with law enforcement if you are honest and straight. I got stopped once for speeding and when the cop approached my window, he asked the typical how fast do you think you were going. I told him exactly how fast I was going (76). He was visibly shocked and asked me how fast I thought I should have been going. 70. He said, actually, it's a 50 zone but I can see how you missed the sign. He pointed it out to me (on the other side of the on ramp where it could easily be missed. So her key me go, telling me that I knew now so that excuse wouldn't work again. 😀

141 - 160 of 241 Posts