Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
161 - 180 of 241 Posts

· Registered
17,692 Posts
I know of one other who also got a warning, for the same reason. It's not marked as a park, there isn't any signage.
He also told me he ticketed someone that week for getting a deer there but he was firing from the road.
I haven't had bad experiences with law enforcement if you are honest and straight. I got stopped once for speeding and when the cop approached my window, he asked the typical how fast do you think you were going. I told him exactly how fast I was going (76). He was visibly shocked and asked me how fast I thought I should have been going. 70. He said, actually, it's a 50 zone but I can see how you missed the sign. He pointed it out to me (on the other side of the on ramp where it could easily be missed. So her key me go, telling me that I knew now so that excuse wouldn't work again. 😀
You have been lucky IMHO . It is a roll of the dice how they will handle any situation so best not to give them any opportunity It may not be a official park but I bet ??? it is NOT registered under the Nova Scotia Nature Reserves Protection Act Bill 73 as a reserve if so no hunting allowed and onus on hunter to check that out and signage is not required to be posted
14 (2) Within a nature reserve, no person shall
Item J

(j) fish, hunt, or trap.

Cheers

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Here is my friend the newbie story. We arrived in his work 5 ton to our d and rb blinds and food plots. My truck keys were in the wife car. We hit the Dblind that Tim had harvested his buck. We headed onto the trail, and I told Trevor to load up. We then headed to the blind in the rain and snow. I reset the scrape out front and headed to the blind. Trevor climbed up and then helped me get my pack in. I then asked him if he had a round in the chamber after we had got seated His answer no. He then loaded and I started rattling and calling. I used different calls every 45 min.After call three by 15min i heard him whispers deero_O He then raised the rifle and fired as i seen a deer walking slow take off. We packed up and headed to the spot where the deer was hit, lots of white hair:oops:.No blood. I started tracking it and lost them in the fresh clutter of tracks. I picked up a smell and started to follow it and lost it We looked 60yds in the travel direction and doubled back to the smell and track line threw the swamp and then I found blood grrr. I was on it, and 2 min latter I hollered found it. In the swamp:) A bottom buck. Shot in the chest and the bullet had went hard angled down thru the intestine. The smell. Couldn't wiped the smile off our faces his first deer. We brought it to my place and then the cleaning and skinning lessons and to the cooler He was supposed to send me the picture not yet. On Happy hunter and after i helped him register it he then said muzzle loader tomorrow? River blind:)

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Just read about the hunting in a reserve. I had taken out a newbe hunter for his general season tag the day before and then yesterday he bought a primitive tag and was hunting muzzle loader. We were going to a friend's blind up in Stanley and he asked me what those signs are, I explained it's a nature reserve. As we arrived at the blind he asked are we not still on the preserve. I said no. Years ago, when they started the process for this reserve i put in writing that this area was for disabled hunters ie Dave and my brother and asked that the Anothony Rd be left open so we could access private land on the Meadow. They never closed the road down and granted the area where the blind and chopping's were left out of it. The poor blind fell victim to Fiona but its going back up.Right now we have a set of stairs going now were.Blind suffered tress failure on one side and fell over.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
At 2.30 yesterday afternoon I tagged out on this doe. I couldn't believe the body on her. Nice and fat...!
View attachment 98872

This mangy looking boot jack was at the site for almost an hour before she showed up. I have photos of him as a spike last year exhibiting the same condition. Can deer get mange?? What the hell is this ? It's on both sides of the abdomen. (This was yesterday...the date is wrong but the time is correct on the photos).

View attachment 98873

View attachment 98874

View attachment 98875
interesting - looks healthy otherwise, at least in the pic.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Gary...

I agree. His growth from a spike to a 4 pointer seems to be normal. His front section looks great and I'm not sure that the appearance of shrinkage of the hind quarters isn't just due to differences in coloration. He appears quite normal in the photos taken at night.

I tried to contact DNR biologists by email but apparently you can't contact them directly unless you have clearance from the Department..??? ( Even though their emails are listed on the DNR site.)

I forwarded the photos to the local Yarmouth DNR office and the email went through so hopefully I'll get some feed back soon...??

Deer Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Flash photography

· Registered
6 Posts
great stories !
it's really nice to hear such story after scouting in woods at daytime a few times without a sight of living creatures. well, that's not entirely true. I saw a doe today beside highway in Halifax when I almost got home. only 2 weeks left this season If I understood the regulation correctly. I'm still listening and learning.
it sounds like I will need to have a tree stand or a blind, to find spot and wait.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Here it seems most of the pockets of deer are in towns or close to them
This week Monday 8 point hit and killed just down the road, wednesday two doe running wide open up my driveway at 5.30 am at 10.00 am same does walking back down the drive passing me in the garage with the door open about 12 feet away and over to the apple tree pricing the few left, same day just came in the house at 2.10 and there was mr 6 point walking down the drive head down after those does
Saturday morning 8.00am huge doe just hit and killed still warm when we got out to look at it last night a spike just at dark walking down the drive and as we speak the two does are in the apple tree again
Talked to my sister in halifax last night and mentioned it and she is in one of the new housing developments and said she has 5 that bed down in her yard almost daily
Seems the deer are staying close to homes where it is safer now
Cheers

· Registered
7,526 Posts
This week Monday 8 point hit and killed just down the road, wednesday two doe running wide open up my driveway at 5.30 am at 10.00 am same does walking back down the drive passing me in the garage with the door open about 12 feet away and over to the apple tree pricing the few left, same day just came in the house at 2.10 and there was mr 6 point walking down the drive head down after those does
Saturday morning 8.00am huge doe just hit and killed still warm when we got out to look at it last night a spike just at dark walking down the drive and as we speak the two does are in the apple tree again
Talked to my sister in halifax last night and mentioned it and she is in one of the new housing developments and said she has 5 that bed down in her yard almost daily
Cheers
Where does your sister live???
Many neighbourhoods in Hfx overrun with deer

· Registered
904 Posts
great stories !
it's really nice to hear such story after scouting in woods at daytime a few times without a sight of living creatures. well, that's not entirely true. I saw a doe today beside highway in Halifax when I almost got home. only 2 weeks left this season If I understood the regulation correctly. I'm still listening and learning.
it sounds like I will need to have a tree stand or a blind, to find spot and wait.
Yes its funny and a bit frustrating when you leave the woods and start seeing lots of deer. A week ago I hunted the morning, saw nothing. Then drove from Goffs to just outside Enfield at about 10:30 to help my wife's nephew with a french drain. Saw 14 deer in 3 groups. Standing in his driveway he asked what I had been hunting. I said deer and looked into his back yard at a doe and a fawn. His reaction was Yea they're here all the time.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
She is in elmsdale now 3D enfield for years before that and lots of deer there also in her yard
Probably why I see so many hunters between exits 8 & 9.
I’m in a subdivision around Kearney lake and you’ve seen the pics of deer around my place, numbers are unreal, remember the pics of the buck at the dingle pk. Damn things are everywhere.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
I agree, deers are very close to home in HRM area, a few ruined my garden in the summer. the problem is: you can't shoot them! they just drop by whenever your garden started growing.
Yea real pain I have to put up fences around my rhododendrons and other shrubs in the fall or the deer will eat every leaf off them! Planted hosta just for the deer but they walk right past them and go eat my roses and Adriatic Lillie’s etc.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Yes its funny and a bit frustrating when you leave the woods and start seeing lots of deer. A week ago I hunted the morning, saw nothing. Then drove from Goffs to just outside Enfield at about 10:30 to help my wife's nephew with a french drain. Saw 14 deer in 3 groups. Standing in his driveway he asked what I had been hunting. I said deer and looked into his back yard at a doe and a fawn. His reaction was Yea they're here all the time.
Lol don’t know how many times of gone hunting and seen nothing only to come home to see three or four on my lawn!

· Registered
904 Posts
Lol don’t know how many times of gone hunting and seen nothing only to come home to see three or four on my lawn!
I don't know how many times I've heard people say "They know when they're safe." over the years. And its true. They come to know that people going about their business in town pose them no threat so they hang around.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Cheers
And in many cases new homes are being built where they once lived. Most of the deer here are in town. Pockets as you say and people trying to sneak in the back door to shoot one. Its no surprise to hear shots at our golf course any day of the week.

161 - 180 of 241 Posts