Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 144 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Good Afternoon each and everyone ,

Time for a update ,
Tuesday Nov, 8
The day started off on a good note as going thru the Micky Ds drive thru and guy in front paid it forward for our order , so in sign of good faith , I said what's the order behind me coming in , she said we did not take it yet , so I flipped a 10 spot and said if anything left take it as a tip . ?

On to my drive out , I picked up my son and we took the time to scan the fields and openings , Full Moon and Lunar Eclipse I said to my son , everything is on the move , cold weather forecast and off and on dirt coming thru , something is going down today . With winds gusting to 50-60 he said but won't they bed down in the wind , I said yes but if hungry enough just might catch one on the move . Plus we have pics of bucks fighting , scrapes , rubs and I got that feeling it 's going to work out after this warm weather .

The trip out we spotted 7 deer in total , a 4 point and 6 does all in different areas , quite a few on the go , really got us in the mood for good days hunt . Moon was high up , giving excellent lighting . By 5:45 it was time to start walking up to the stands , well My son got in with no issues , but I got busted with wind in my face and no flashlight only using moon light to guide my way in I was baffled what happened ( later finding out one was bedded down only 20 ft from the trail ) Listening to the blowing and thrashing out in front as it moved off . I was still in disbelief I got busted so easily taking my time trying not step to heavily .

Morning was basic listening to Blue Jays between wind gusts picking up sounds of grouse moving around below my stand , taking a quick stroll to swap cards and check apple situation around 11 Am , I was happy I had enough coffee and food to stay course in the blind as the previous day deer had been coming and going all day from 10:15 am till hour after dark . Texted my son and said stay put , all day action on this side , He replied same here , all afternoon the 6 point was on the prowl thru the day as well the bigger 6 point and 10 point were here several times . Said well first buck out goes down for some table fare and we still have time and tags to work away on the bigger ones .

Thru the afternoon I read one my books , watching the landscape and scanning away with nothing moving , by 4 pm I said well I'll pack up things and have the pack ready to exit at dark and simply watch more closely . Winds were still 30-50 N/N W , 6 C and several times heavy hail/ sleet / rain mix that at times were deafening but felt so good to simply experience , so much fresh sign , track and pics , that feeling something was going to appear did not go away .

By 4:30 a lone Doe emerged , walking along the brush line , it stopped for couple mins and calmly looked at the apples and seemed unaware of my pressence , staying on track I watched her actions , never taking her focus on the bait pile she moved in , with in a minute a smaller doe emerged , right beside her it was a fawn , and then a second one , all 3 vert tight feeding together , I decided take a pic View attachment 98902

Just then I looked and a 4 th Doe emerged , View attachment 98903

Watching carefully I said ok wheres the boyfriends , then the Doe and Fawns turned to leave and in walked a Spike buck that walked right beside the Doe And Twins , The lone Doe seemed undisturbed and stayed , Given this was just right size for some great table fare and the way food prices are Lmao , I said well I'm taking this one and going work at one the bigger ones . Focused clearly on and sudden movements by any of them , I took a clear kill shot to the head , the .308 erupted and it back flipped and there it stayed . The twins and their mother ran no more than 30 yrds and stayed watching what took place , listening they slowly moved off , the lone doe Bleated away at edge of the clear . My son called and asked what happened and said well that's one tag cut . Took nice 150-160 lb Spike . Meet me at the truck and get the sled , It's going be dark here quick and still gotta dress it and , get the buckets for coyote bait , not cleaning it at the stands . I know head shots are not everyones shot to take , but I'm comfortable , no running , no searching the dark for downed animal and certainly no suffering , Brown went down and It's already hanged , cut , wrapped and in the freezer with family and few friends looked after . After Dressed out it went 123.4 lbs , 87 lbs after hide and head removal . View attachment 98905
View attachment 98904

Was bit of late evening by time field dressing , loaded up , cleaned ourselves up some and then drop off my son at home and back in the garage and get him hanged . When that feeling is there and you say to yourself I'll be happy as long as its a buck and meat in the freezer . It's a great day any day out , especially sharing with family , harvesting a animal is the bonus . Still have update for today's hunt that ended at 8:30 with one of the 6 pointers falling to my son's 270WSM
Congratulations!

· Registered
310 Posts
No idea what you use for the brush but if you don't own , borrow or rent one of those honda brush cutters with the skill saw blade
My god what a beast and I was cutting alders and even some 4" trees with it and cleaned an acre in one day it would make short work of that trail in the pic
Cheers
I got the FS460. Pro grade and big enough to cut down 4-6 inch trees lol.
Makes some racket and wear a face shield

· Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Due to popular demand and request of those who enjoy the Chronicle , I bring you a update from Yesterday Mornings father / son deer hunt .

So we decided to squeeze in a morning deer hunt after a several days of not being able get out due to other circumstances , our morning started out with a drive out to my son's place , Very Windy 25-40 W/NW -6 very brisk , flurries . Type of day you really need bundle up , almost snow suit type day for in the blind . Heavier gear loaded up and off to Tim's for our morning coffee and bagels , hoping something started to move after us both harvesting couple deer already , both of us still have a muzzle loader tag , decided who ever has the shot takes it as we both went to same stand, The Hardwood Blind . Cell cam showing us lots of activity the evening before and all thru the night , we took the chance to team up .

Driving out was great conversation about everything hunting related, other hunting partners who join in , and so on , watching the regular places deer are always present in several areas either crossing , grazing or passing thru . Sure enough we spot a large Doe at one of the regular spots , stopped to see if she was alone when another came out to investigate ourselves watching them . Great sign to our morning ahead , we got on our way continued watching and talking strategy on duck hunting now that coves are starting to freeze over partly , patiently watching for larger Migrators .

Out to the gate we arrive and get out to a frozen lock , quick shot of gas line antifreeze and throw it in the truck , pull up to the trail head and time to get out and partly bundle and get our packs , check for anything not packed and laugh about the amount we drag up including a 60 lb bag off apples , trying not to over heat we thro it all in the sled and away we go .

Got up to the hardwood stand and voila another frozen lock ( yes I lock all our stands, due to gear stored in them and deal with unwanted parties and things go missing ) getting in then start to get on the heavy gear for our cold frosty , windy morning watching the sun rise , I crack open my thermos of black coffee , while my son throws out the bag of apples and quick card swap on regular cams , tells me ground is ripped up , said Yeah well this big 11point came in just as we were walking in he walked in and out calmly . Regular trail cam catches his going out . Several Does coming , going and even a 4 point coming to feed and chase does .

Sitting there watching the morning sun come up and having a Ruffed Grouse walking up toward the stand from heavy cover . Sitting and taking turns standing watching , scanning and trying to catch glimpse of any movement the morning moved along quickly , by 11:30 we decided call it , and take quick calm walk down to see where they came , went and moved thru . Trail down to lower stand where I took the spike , we decided to stalk our way down , winds in our face we catch a Doe in the clearing at the mineral / bait site . We sat against a large Maple and scanned the spot for more action and watched that Does Actions , hoping not to get winded with high winds , it was cross ways so 50/50 chance she get our scent and stayed low .

After 20 she walked within 20 yrds of us and was not till she got behind us the snort wheeze alert , went off , Busted ! Well that was that , off into the thicket she went and stopped short of the swampy brook area . Lets back out , check that camera and back to the truck . We both got stuff for afternoon and gotta call it a day . Damm trail cam was dead , so swap out card , batteries and lets go , kept our heads on a swivel hoping get another encounter but it truly was time to leave .

Always another day , always another chance , always another encounter . Still was great morning to share even tho old man winter reminded us it's really not far away .

So ends another one .

· Registered
18,487 Posts
We all enjoy your stories Walter and if I upset you I sincerely apologize
Not sure if Tim hunted today he was here this afternoon and still had that bad paw
F'n gout I know his pain too well

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Great read Walter thanks for taking the time to post your adventures. Pretty awesome hunting with your kids isn’t it

· Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Great read Walter thanks for taking the time to post your adventures. Pretty awesome hunting with your kids isn’t it
Thanks Tripple D ,
I can never get enough time in the outdoors with them , waiting for both my daughters to come home over Xmas holidays to get a trip or two out with them . Cannot wait for the day to have Grandkids to pass it to them if anything is left by then , can only hope we still do . I'll never give in or give it up

· Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
as much as I hate getting busted, always cool to hear them blowing/snorting over something they dont like.
another great post.
I hate it myself , I believe this same Doe busted me twice already this yr While I was coming in down wind , Had scent killer on as well , stiff breeze right in my face and she was up wind of me , no way to get scent but none the less , she gets spooked very easy and lets you know it . Last yr was same thing no wind up in stands 10-16 ft high and she leave snorting and wheezing .

· Registered
1,078 Posts
as much as I hate getting busted, always cool to hear them blowing/snorting over something they dont like.
another great post.
I got busted by a smaller deer last week. Didn't take off crashing through brush, just moved off at a trot after the first little bounce or two. But, I could hear it blowing, at least 10 times, getting fainter the farther away it went.

· Registered
5,318 Posts
I got busted by a smaller deer last week. Didn't take off crashing through brush, just moved off at a trot after the first little bounce or two. But, I could hear it blowing, at least 10 times, getting fainter the farther away it went.
Don't always believe it is you who got busted. Been in the situation a few times when I said what the hell, how does it even know I am here. Turned out it was not me. Seen it again this year with a bob cat sneaking up to a doe on my bait pile, the buck in the woods was snorting of the danger. I also seen it happened with two bucks approaching each other.

· Registered
310 Posts
I’ve figured out that going to the hunt spot often can “train” the deer to get used to your scent, so when they smell it, it isn’t out of the ordinary so they don’t hightail it. I run chainsaws all the time in my woods and frequently have them right behind me with the saw running, because they’re used to me. Makes for easy hunting lol

61 - 80 of 144 Posts