Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 169 Posts

· Registered
1,153 Posts
So small update after several hours of Cleaning the hide from the skull , excess meat and tissue , about 1 1/2 hours on slow rolling boil to help removal of tissue and brain matter ,then about 30-40 mins of power washer and scrapping then back to 45 min - hour de-greasing , 2 days dry time and then a good 36 hour soak in whitening agents , rinse again , now off to good 3-4 days or more dry time b4 the sealer applied . Then it's up to my son on style mount to do . My idea is old fence and barbed wire with a light to med grey coating of stain for rustic look . We will see still lots of WORK to do yet . View attachment 99086 View attachment 99087

Just for size reference as it's a 6 point buck , floor tiles are 13 x 13
It looks really good! So if 13" tiles the outside spread looks to be 23-24". Darn nice rack!

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Good Evening ,

Yesterday was a Father / Daughter waterfowl hunt , Our day started out shortly after 3am , stopping off for Mickey Ds coffee and breakfast sandwiches for the drive , after that stopping to pick up my daughter for our windy , raining +3 degrees and hoping the last several days of rains were not going to flood out our spot too badly and that tides were also cooperate with outgoing by 10:34 am , High tide was 4:30 am so question was will birds come in to feed or just hold tight .

Our drive out was non eventful with no game in sight but lots of catching up with her being home for holidays from over PEI , telling me about how the sky every day is filled with waterfowl and even the Campus having plenty of them hanging around .

We showed up and first was checking the tide , slow coming in and should be high time to go slack which is was just starting to do so . We parked up in the big field and walked down throwing a small spruce branch and noticed slight flooding . Our crossing time was still a hour + away so back to the truck to simply talk some more and listen to the rains and winds beating on the truck roof . Calming in so many ways , by 6:15 am it was time to gear up , tucking heavy jackets inside the waders , dawning on rain jackets over and grabbing our bags , packs and decoys . Simple set up of 15 decoys , light for the channel crossing and fast to set out .

Channel was waist high and slight current , staying close we made our way to the flooded over mud / sand that normally is bare , but that morning it had about 12-16 inches of water , so I knew the little Island area would be flooded on the trail area . Sure enough water was right up front of the blind itself . Could not hear any birds with rain still coming down NW winds but sheltered on our side , Hope was birds coming thru would stay low on lee side . That hope was shattered with first sets of birds , High and winds on the back , coming fast and hard . Said let em circle and turn if they will , many kept circling but gain altitude Knew right away it was going be a tough hunt . Had several birds land 100-150 yrds just at edges of small ponds and grasses . Hoping just to leave them alone tbey as well will bring confidence to wary others .

By 7:40 had one loner make the hard turn after wind on the back and fast incoming , turned and came in cross ways toward the blind , told my daughter you take em , I'll call em in and keep good lead , winds side ways so it should come low , sure enough 25 yrds out she crumpled it first crack with it's landing gear down , it was finished b4 it hit the water .

Several birds lifted from the grasses , but settled just as quick back in . Winds were easy 30-45 pushing rains almost sideways with gusts . As we huddled and tried multible sets of birds the craziest thing I ever had happen was a Hawk came in outta no where and grabbed a decoy only 10 ft from front of the blind , WTH I yelled and it dropped it then turned and landed behind us . Turned again and came around low over the decoys then taking the gusts to go higher and scan the grasses .

After few chances came around but no connecting the birds simply stopped moving , High , fast , circling staying most times 100 yrds out , blind is very well camoed in , simply was a good day once again even tho only one bird taken it was great to have my youngest in the field again chasing down our quest of the day , I'll take the smile she had over a limit any day of the seasons . By 10:30am pack up and time to cross back , area still flooded we just watched our steps ,and kept close till back on the other side . Taking it all in on another one i the books for 2022 /2023
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Sky Military uniform

Hunting Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Wood

· Registered
323 Posts
Good Evening ,

Yesterday was a Father / Daughter waterfowl hunt , Our day started out shortly after 3am , stopping off for Mickey Ds coffee and breakfast sandwiches for the drive , after that stopping to pick up my daughter for our windy , raining +3 degrees and hoping the last several days of rains were not going to flood out our spot too badly and that tides were also cooperate with outgoing by 10:34 am , High tide was 4:30 am so question was will birds come in to feed or just hold tight .

Our drive out was non eventful with no game in sight but lots of catching up with her being home for holidays from over PEI , telling me about how the sky every day is filled with waterfowl and even the Campus having plenty of them hanging around .

We showed up and first was checking the tide , slow coming in and should be high time to go slack which is was just starting to do so . We parked up in the big field and walked down throwing a small spruce branch and noticed slight flooding . Our crossing time was still a hour + away so back to the truck to simply talk some more and listen to the rains and winds beating on the truck roof . Calming in so many ways , by 6:15 am it was time to gear up , tucking heavy jackets inside the waders , dawning on rain jackets over and grabbing our bags , packs and decoys . Simple set up of 15 decoys , light for the channel crossing and fast to set out .

Channel was waist high and slight current , staying close we made our way to the flooded over mud / sand that normally is bare , but that morning it had about 12-16 inches of water , so I knew the little Island area would be flooded on the trail area . Sure enough water was right up front of the blind itself . Could not hear any birds with rain still coming down NW winds but sheltered on our side , Hope was birds coming thru would stay low on lee side . That hope was shattered with first sets of birds , High and winds on the back , coming fast and hard . Said let em circle and turn if they will , many kept circling but gain altitude Knew right away it was going be a tough hunt . Had several birds land 100-150 yrds just at edges of small ponds and grasses . Hoping just to leave them alone tbey as well will bring confidence to wary others .

By 7:40 had one loner make the hard turn after wind on the back and fast incoming , turned and came in cross ways toward the blind , told my daughter you take em , I'll call em in and keep good lead , winds side ways so it should come low , sure enough 25 yrds out she crumpled it first crack with it's landing gear down , it was finished b4 it hit the water .

Several birds lifted from the grasses , but settled just as quick back in . Winds were easy 30-45 pushing rains almost sideways with gusts . As we huddled and tried multible sets of birds the craziest thing I ever had happen was a Hawk came in outta no where and grabbed a decoy only 10 ft from front of the blind , WTH I yelled and it dropped it then turned and landed behind us . Turned again and came around low over the decoys then taking the gusts to go higher and scan the grasses .

After few chances came around but no connecting the birds simply stopped moving , High , fast , circling staying most times 100 yrds out , blind is very well camoed in , simply was a good day once again even tho only one bird taken it was great to have my youngest in the field again chasing down our quest of the day , I'll take the smile she had over a limit any day of the seasons . By 10:30am pack up and time to cross back , area still flooded we just watched our steps ,and kept close till back on the other side . Taking it all in on another one i the books for 2022 /2023 View attachment 99131
View attachment 99130
Well, that answers a question from the hwwa hunt. You CAN get ducks with a pink shotgun!

Great story.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
She has been using that shotgun now last 4-5 yrs and successfully taken waterfowl with it , only 22 inch barrel , but key is to call em in to 20-25 yrds for her #2 &#3 3inch magnums with mod choke .
Well, that answers a question from the hwwa hunt. You CAN get ducks with a pink shotgun!

Great story.

· Registered
3,043 Posts
another great read this morning, tks. congrats on the hunt & the duck.

thats a great gun there - we've been using one for a while. Taken deer, waterfowl, partridge with it plus its a staple at the HWWA Hunter Ed for the newbies.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Great day in the morning- er wetlands! Great job Walter thanks for creating and continuing with this thread! Kudos to your daughter.

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Boxing Day Hounds and Bunnies 2022 Part 1

Our day started off with meet up at my son's place , Cool 3 degrees , slight overcast and moderate winds . Myself my son and one of his buddies who never hunted off hounds b4 for rabbits got a chance to tag along as Tim was more than welcoming for a newer hunter to get in a experience of doing so , Tim Thanks again for opening up for and allowing that .

We all met up with another gent Andre who I knew of b4 from a nieghbor at a agreed upon place and spoke while waiting on Tim and the Hounds arrival and after few mins it was agreed time to go and get at it . Drove out to the old pits that have several parcels of land and numerous trails and old roads to put the hounds to work .

After gearing up and getting settled we tried our first area with no success of any of the 3 hounds Boomer, Nori , Maggie striking up a howl or two to say the hunt was in full swing , after first half hour we met up with 3 others who were in process to hunt but seen bigger party and saying area has been pushed some we decided to move just off a bit down to where the hounds spilt in two groups , Andre went high on the area , My son and his Buddy Jake followed Boomer and Nori as we spotted one right behind a rabbit and the howls were heavy , off me and Tim went to follow Maggie who as well had one on a high bank moving hard . My self and Tim moved back and forth to get better vantage to where we kept close view of the other , Moving slow myself Tim on old make shift trail and finally the rabbit emerged , double shots off and Tim said it's hit , Up I came as he lost sight and Maggie was doing her thing to locate , I looked over the steep bank and the rabbit lay dead about 20 ft down the other side toward a swamp .

Maggie came up after few mins and bunny to boot with her , off for a drink , I brought over as,he said he's going clean it up and the other two were on trail as well . I ended up over by the power line to where they were both working several rabbits , Just then met back up with Jake who said the dogs are in the thick stuff and could not get crack at a rabbit on 5 passes , just then a rabbit emerged by a big white birch , And smack one shot bunny in the bag #2 was done deal .

Just got that one in my back pack and two ran along a high bank where i fired at second one , Andre said theres 2 I said well one went I think other is by the spruce , over and no rabbit , Stopped and hounds were pushing that patch of waist high thicket and then my son connected with #3 . Dogs are still pushing both sides of us , Then Andre and Tim move to side of power line line where Andre cranks up #4 after that one appears outta no where , no unicorns this day .

We push that spot further more and no sooner I see Andre taking aim with his over under 20/.22mag and cracks off #5 he's then saying its wounded , I go opposite side and out pops #6 quick lead off and that one's done deal . Andre say frig where that one come from right across where I shot the first one . After short time we figure we go up the power on other side of the river another small lower area , Leash up and away we go .
Part 2 to follow .

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Boxing Day Hounds And Bunnies 2022 Part 2

After a short 15 min walk or so We all go up to higher area and scan it over , Down the hill we go and allow Boomer and Nori to go do their thing , well seemed after they made the trip thru not alot was to be found gave them time to sing a tune but to no avail bunnies were not right in that patch , watching from high ground Andre went to meet with Tim and Maggie , I stayed put My son and his buddy worked the ground just behind me . To just after 10 mins I heard a shot from backside , My son connected with #7 .

No more sounds till I heard Maggie driving one back from where we came from , only the n I catch boomer and Nori going on a river crossing , well time to go get them back over , after making my way couple hundred yrds to river side that had good flow but too deep in many spots , I manage to get both hounds back to where I thought they crossed , I managed to get them follow me to shallow more easier cross but nope would not return . Dropping my backpack and shotgun for scent wise , I continued up to a old delapitated foot/ culvert bridge not the most sturdy or trust worth I managed to get Nori come over happily to leash up , Boomer followed , double leashed off we went to get my gun and pack .

Well enough of this spot , no more river trips for you two , lets regroup , back across the boggy terrain and just before the base of the hill , #8 came from under a brush pile , both dogs in one hand and off hand shot that one gets bagged as well , even tho it was a recovery walk , it still turned up a rabbit , Sweat soaked lets go , back down and filled Tim and Andre in on their non river boat crossing and yes I chitt you not Boomer went for a swim and Nori followed .

After regain my self and ready for a nap lmao I called my son and his buddy to where we met up and the hounds still had push on at the place we managed take 5 from , we let them finish up and then it was leash up time and done for the day .

After little break , pups in the truck and a taxi ride in Andre's truck back to ours , we said our good byes and best of luck with many thanks for a fun filled day . 8 outta possible 11 not bad I say .I'll ad a pic once I can get a download off my phone

Oh By the way Tim , Cookies and Banna Bread were great , we used them up at a roof job my son had on the go today !😁😀

And so this wraps up Boxing Day Hounds and Bunnies 2022 .
Thanks for taking the time for a Chronicle .

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Boxing Day Hounds And Bunnies 2022 Part 2

After a short 15 min walk or so We all go up to higher area and scan it over , Down the hill we go and allow Boomer and Nori to go do their thing , well seemed after they made the trip thru not alot was to be found gave them time to sing a tune but to no avail bunnies were not right in that patch , watching from high ground Andre went to meet with Tim and Maggie , I stayed put My son and his buddy worked the ground just behind me . To just after 10 mins I heard a shot from backside , My son connected with #7 .

No more sounds till I heard Maggie driving one back from where we came from , only the n I catch boomer and Nori going on a river crossing , well time to go get them back over , after making my way couple hundred yrds to river side that had good flow but too deep in many spots , I manage to get both hounds back to where I thought they crossed , I managed to get them follow me to shallow more easier cross but nope would not return . Dropping my backpack and shotgun for scent wise , I continued up to a old delapitated foot/ culvert bridge not the most sturdy or trust worth I managed to get Nori come over happily to leash up , Boomer followed , double leashed off we went to get my gun and pack .

Well enough of this spot , no more river trips for you two , lets regroup , back across the boggy terrain and just before the base of the hill , #8 came from under a brush pile , both dogs in one hand and off hand shot that one gets bagged as well , even tho it was a recovery walk , it still turned up a rabbit , Sweat soaked lets go , back down and filled Tim and Andre in on their non river boat crossing and yes I chitt you not Boomer went for a swim and Nori followed .

After regain my self and ready for a nap lmao I called my son and his buddy to where we met up and the hounds still had push on at the place we managed take 5 from , we let them finish up and then it was leash up time and done for the day .

After little break , pups in the truck and a taxi ride in Andre's truck back to ours , we said our good byes and best of luck with many thanks for a fun filled day . 8 outta possible 11 not bad I say .I'll ad a pic once I can get a download off my phone

Oh By the way Tim , Cookies and Banna Bread were great , we used them up at a roof job my son had on the go today !😁😀

And so this wraps up Boxing Day Hounds and Bunnies 2022 .
Thanks for taking the time for a Chronicle .
You forgot Andre got a grouse as well.
While you guys were going for your swim, Maggie was chasing one that crossed a 100m clearing in front of me, outta range, but stayed in the thicket between the clearing and the road i was standing on.
Took Maggie 15min to cross the clearing and locate the scent again. She would not give up looking, she has the drive.

Great day afield, make plans for next boxing day

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
You forgot Andre got a grouse as well.
While you guys were going for your swim, Maggie was chasing one that crossed a 100m clearing in front of me, outta range, but stayed in the thicket between the clearing and the road i was standing on.
Took Maggie 15min to cross the clearing and locate the scent again. She would not give up looking, she has the drive.

Great day afield, make plans for next boxing day
Yes I did , been long day today , putting set of trusses up and sheathing a roof with my son who fell off the damm thing !

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Is your son Ok?
From what we can see so far , yes . Seen him fall from 12 ft up off the edge getting on the ladder , Board gave way he went full face down possible bruised ribs , no broken bones but gave me real bad scare . He's resting but going be real sore from it
Thanks for asking

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
dayuuuummm...he's a lucky guy !!!! Hope he mends up quickly.
I worked with a guy who fell off of 2 lifts of staging...landed on all fours ( so to speak) smashed his knee caps and shattered both wrists and lower jaw. Was a friggen mess the next three yrs from operations/therapy and mega pain. Never worked again !!

101 - 120 of 169 Posts