Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Dayyyummmm....it's over :( :( This has been one of my favorite things to look forward too here on NSH. Thanks Walter for dragging us all along with your gang for the season.
Will you be doing any trapping this season ?? if so, any room in your trapping backpack ?,... how bout squeezing us in there with your gear n stuff....LOL

Thanks again man....most enjoyable !!!

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Dayyyummmm....it's over :( :( This has been one of my favorite things to look forward too here on NSH. Thanks Walter for dragging us all along with your gang for the season.
Will you be doing any trapping this season ?? if so, any room in your trapping backpack ?,... how bout squeezing us in there with your gear n stuff....LOL

Thanks again man....most enjoyable !!!
Never set a trap or snare this yr , but still have some time and , winter stays this way , just might be at it sooner than than later , but yes I drag you guys along for the travels

· Registered
323 Posts
Never set a trap or snare this yr , but still have some time and , winter stays this way , just might be at it sooner than than later , but yes I drag you guys along for the travels
Just pulled my snares today. Got two shoeshoe early in the season but haven't seen even sign for two weeks. Gotta look for another spot. I know there are some another 800m up the path, but someone else is hunting there. Gotta find my own new spot. :)

· Registered
305 Posts
Love your hunting chronicles Walter. Great to see that the pup turned out well. He will only get better as the years go by. We were out your way the last two weeks of the season trying to pick up a couple of blacks for a feed. Never had any luck as the ones we saw were so wild we couldn't get near them. Looking forward to your next years chronicles.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Love your hunting chronicles Walter. Great to see that the pup turned out well. He will only get better as the years go by. We were out your way the last two weeks of the season trying to pick up a couple of blacks for a feed. Never had any luck as the ones we saw were so wild we couldn't get near them. Looking forward to your next years chronicles.
Great to see you Chime in Clifford , hopefully to see you up that way one of the trips thru

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
So figure I give little more peek at the new deer blind 😂😂😂 Frame is mostly 2 x 6 rough 8 x 6 ( 48 sq ft ) the walls are 6' 3 high to give proper head room , putting in a 28 inch by 5'8 door wanted a full 2x6 header , door will be determined yet thinking on full 2 inch thick , have lots of 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 rough to counter stager and do a Z style door for hood stability . Floor is also 1x4 rough with 1 ft on center joists . I want this strong and give me another 15-20 yrs use , its getting house wraped and synthetic tar paper with extra coverage of tar paper , all of which is left over from other builds . more updates will follow , the milled 2 x 3 framing is free bee well fee bones given back , View attachment 99522
Wood Shelf Interior design Floor Flooring

Wood Flooring Shelving Hardwood Machine

from very good friend who has more coming for me
More to follow ,

· Registered
1,153 Posts
So figure I give little more peek at the new deer blind 😂😂😂 Frame is mostly 2 x 6 rough 8 x 6 ( 48 sq ft ) the walls are 6' 3 high to give proper head room , putting in a 28 inch by 5'8 door wanted a full 2x6 header , door will be determined yet thinking on full 2 inch thick , have lots of 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 rough to counter stager and do a Z style door for hood stability . Floor is also 1x4 rough with 1 ft on center joists . I want this strong and give me another 15-20 yrs use , its getting house wraped and synthetic tar paper with extra coverage of tar paper , all of which is left over from other builds . more updates will follow , the milled 2 x 3 framing is free bee well fee bones given back , View attachment 99522
View attachment 99521
View attachment 99523
from very good friend who has more coming for me
More to follow ,
Very nice! That should last at least 20 years as long as the base is up off the ground.
You could put a fold down/up bunk under the windows. Add a small heater and you wouldn't even have to go home or back to the camp each night.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
So , Finally got a day to get back out and set up few trail cams and start some new mineral sites and do a little shed hunting , was very surprise d to still see fresh rubs on few small trees , deer have certainly yarded up with snow on the ground . Found two places , One is a regular winter run for the deer right up our road way , while the other is usually on the up side or down side of the property , this yr is going right thru the hard wood and down into the swamp area .

My intuition was correct this time , stopped to investigate as this is one place I was thinking on moving the new blind just short stretch from old one now reduced to ashes , that one was elevated , but also was not made in same fashion as new construction is going along .

figure on this milder , kinda foggy +5 degree day it was worth to go bush wacking down the winter trail they had going , some very nice sets of track going thru , fresh rubs along it as well , pulled a trail cam out and dumped about a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of mineral / deer feed mix to see what is going thru . Nothing to gain , nothing to loose but time and scouting for the fall season . Walked a good km and a half one way , crossing up back side and then down thru the swamp , brambles and few streams , thickets of spruce and came up to a point they started to walk out to the road and cross over .

Walked back little slower to take in any fresh sign , .410 in tow for a bunny if to be found , not even fresh sign of them in that distance , good thing was no Coyote sign either running the winter trail .

stoping long enough to take a coffee from my thermos and take in the scenery , checking trees for buds , few Nuthatches and Black Cap Chickadees flying about were my only company , sometimes it's all you need out there .

Heading back I double checked for sheds , I've often found them along these trail, but most times right beside my stands too , walking out I headed to the wood lot stand , fresh sign just inside the tree line , standing right behind it at times , that stand will get pushed just inside the tree line for more cover as well this yr . Enough exploration for the day , still had few dead falls to clean up before I call it a day , burn some brush and simply chalk up another day in the outdoors .
Sky Plant Natural landscape Snow Branch

Snow Natural landscape Twig Branch Wood

· Registered
3,789 Posts
It has been a great winter so far for the deer.(zone102). Virtually no snow to speak of. Only one small storm in which the driveway was plowed. I spend as much time as I can, in the woods looking for sheds. Only found one so far and the end of an antler that was broken off from sparing. I have been searching since Christmas Day for the mate to the antler that I found. He had it on Christmas Eve … and 24 hrs later, it was gone. Since he was at the feeder multiple times a day, I figured it wouldn’t be too far. No luck and I have searched a lot. His other side was an easy find. Right by the feeder, where him and another buck were sparring about a week after he lost his first antler. I have 2 rabbits that I see just about every day I fill up the feeder. Hoping they are M and F and procreate. The number of deer around my stand has really dropped off in the last few weeks. Not sure where they disappeared to. Perhaps “wintering grounds” ???

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
It has been a great winter so far for the deer.(zone102). Virtually no snow to speak of. Only one small storm in which the driveway was plowed. I spend as much time as I can, in the woods looking for sheds. Only found one so far and the end of an antler that was broken off from sparing. I have been searching since Christmas Day for the mate to the antler that I found. He had it on Christmas Eve … and 24 hrs later, it was gone. Since he was at the feeder multiple times a day, I figured it wouldn’t be too far. No luck and I have searched a lot. His other side was an easy find. Right by the feeder, where him and another buck were sparring about a week after he lost his first antler. I have 2 rabbits that I see just about every day I fill up the feeder. Hoping they are M and F and procreate. The number of deer around my stand has really dropped off in the last few weeks. Not sure where they disappeared to. Perhaps “wintering grounds” ???
The Trail I followed wraps back around but is all one way traffic on it , they head back into my hardwood /swamp area , first real bunch of snow in that neck of the woods about 6 inches deep . Going try get another trip back out soon as I can , have more wood to stack from blow downs and more to send off to the mill around a 5 ton Flat deck load . With no frost trying very hard not rip up the road . Deer have stabalized in our zones , "Wintering Grounds " here are also Fawning grounds they don't stay far from our area . Cams out early so with luck might get pics of heavy does prior to birthing

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Do you have all traditional swap / card cameras Walter ? any cell T-cams ??
Couple Older Cell cams for security reasons only on the cottage , not all my spots I throw in a camera have cell service or very low service . Plus I have found with my son 's newer Cell Tcams even with good service , notifications are glitchy , that's just our experiences . Our 4 blind sites have only one that a cell cam works at and service is touch and go , the ones on the cottage work great but it took bit of adjustments to get them to tune in properly

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
The end of season in between season waiting for fishing season to start sucks lol!!
Gotta do something to kill that time in between , cabin fever is not a good thing , figure this yr I'd get back my ways of yrs prior . Never too early to scout wild game patterns .

I'm spending time today going over notes and looking at my maps for next falls water fowl hunt

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I am new to the cell trail cameras. I just have one. Tacticam and once I got it figured out, it worked flawlessly. I still have three normal trail cams out. They stay out all year. I brought the cell cam in and suspended the subscription. I'll put it back out in August. Deer season has been over for nearly 2 months, but I still look forward to checking my trail cameras. Gives me something to do.

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Couple Older Cell cams for security reasons only on the cottage , not all my spots I throw in a camera have cell service or very low service . Plus I have found with my son 's newer Cell Tcams even with good service , notifications are glitchy , that's just our experiences . Our 4 blind sites have only one that a cell cam works at and service is touch and go , the ones on the cottage work great but it took bit of adjustments to get them to tune in properly
ok..thanks !

· Registered
630 Posts
I got the new Tactacam Reveal X Pro for Christmas. This will be the first cell trailcam for me, but I'm struggling with the idea of stepping away from the flip phone and switching to a smart phone permanently. I don't want to fall into the trap of living on one of those damn things!

141 - 160 of 169 Posts