Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

2023 Fishing Season

Tags
fishing
8K views 175 replies 19 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
Well figure in the Spirit of The General Fishing Season opener I figure I start a thread for those active in Angling and I say show us your Fish and share your trips and adventures traveling the waterways this yr , come on lets hear about the one the got away 😎 Gear used , type of fishing , bait used if any , natural or stocked fish , species your after and so on , Just a little bit to put back into the site on outdoor related days off Season till our long awaited Fall .

#2 ·
Pretty simple tackle- spincast with lucky strike spinner and a worm. Caught a few on muddles minnow as well. Did loose a couple but gotta expect that with barbless hooks. No pics, I clean my fish where I’m fishing so no mess at home and my phone is just that a phone and no data. Speckled trout and all wild trout, only time I catch stock fish is if I take the grandkids out.

#4 ·
I'm also a fan of the traditional lucky strike spinner with a worm. I use 2 rods mostly, a medium weight 6'6" Abu Garcia with a Quantum reel and 5' Ugly Stik that I use for the little streams and brooks. Can't wait to get the canoe in the water and get into some of those back woods lakes.

#5 ·
Got a Diawa 6ft rod with a Mitchell 300 spinning reel I bought about 50 yrs ago and still use a lot. Also have a Zebco 6.6 ft with a Mitchell 300 I bought bout ten yrs ago. Have a Zebco telescopic I use a lot too cause it fits in a small knapsack and makes for hands free walking. Also have umpteen other rods and reels for others I take with me ie- kid,grandkids, neighbourhood kids.

#19 · (Edited)
Got a Diawa 6ft rod with a Mitchell 300 spinning reel I bought about 50 yrs ago and still use a lot. Also have a Zebco 6.6 ft with a Mitchell 300 I bought bout ten yrs ago. Have a Zebco telescopic I use a lot too cause it fits in a small knapsack and makes for hands free walking. Also have umpteen other rods and reels for others I take with me ie- kid,grandkids, neighbourhood kids.
I still have my old set up also 3D exactly the same but in the 80's I was sent to ontario to help do a conveyor set up in sudbury for 8 weeks and the boys up there got me hooked on shimano gear which was all they used when we went fishing so I upgraded everything I owned in rods and reels when I got back since I was not married and had money then :D( almost as bad as shotguns I hoarded a lot of fishing gear but not quite :) ) which are also going to take me to my grave I thought they were expensive then I almost passed out what they are worth now like a stradic 1000 or 3000 reel as two examples I just checked over 3 times what I paid new
For spinning gear the old lucky strike gold single spinners and lucky strike roostertails and the old silver double blade Hildebrand with minnow and red wigglers which I grow in my compost pile The cold winter seems to kill them off every year but my bud raises them so I just go and get a small bucket from him every year since they work great making compost
I might get out 4 times a year now max later on just too busy in the spring etc
Cheers

#6 ·
For trolling this time of year, I’m trolling ethic double bladed trolling rigs in gold or silver, with maybe a small spit shot to get home in that 7-8ft range. I’ll change the hooks out for a #6 slow death worm hook or a minnow hook. For rods, I couple different fenwick 6’6-7ft light action rods. But a vast majority of my fishing is done on the fly. I got as many fly rods and reels at my house like a major gun collector. Caught 12 or so trout a couple small salmon opening day with a 5wt or is Clearwater with a Hardy unquia reel or my 7wt TFO impact with reddington Behemoth reel with sink tip line throwing zuddler patterns.

Was out trolling around on the big lake behind the house yesterday morning with my bestfriend. And caught 7 trout, biggest one 17 inches, smallest was 12.5 they were chasing schools of smelts in the coves. The big out spit up a 5 inch smelt at the boat

#8 ·
I gotta say I'm impressed with the number if nice fish you guys are getting!
I fished the Pollett River in NB a lot years ago and we would never get a bite until at least late May! The water was very cold and fast flowing so the trout were very well fed I think. So to hear you guys having such great success this early is great.

I always had better luck with a plain hook and worm than anything else. I did use spinners sometimes but they seemed to scare the fish some. Used a fly some too but again, plaun worms worked best.

#9 ·
Was out for first trip around some our usual spots thru the Bras Dor Lakes from East Bay right thru to St. Peters , chasing Browns and early Speckled Sea Trout , well today was a bitter brutal day on the water , Ice still in some coves whike others were breaking up and slush filled . Plenty of Seals around which makes a cold day even worse ! We tried Flies , spoons , Cranbaits and hard body minnows , only one Brown took and was not hooked the best as it hit just as the spoon was coming outta the water .

None the less , it was great father / son day and one our hunting crew tagged along which was fine and made for great day even with one hook up and a loss , lots of Waterfowl around everywhere , winds were driving them more ashore , iced up rods , numb fingers and dressed like we were on a late Waterfowl trip , the hot coffee took away the chills of the day .

#12 ·
We headed out early this morning for our first backwoods trip of the season near sheet harbour,still plenty of snow in spots which made it labour intensive getting in and out.
Long hard ass hike into few ponds but a great day trip.Between 3 of us we caught over 40 most between 8-12"
Kept 6 for ourselves the rest released.
Some achy muscles tonite glad to be back to the comforts of home.

#15 ·
Make sure you have a good quality swivel b4 your lure tired on to your line , knot type also dictates how your line reacts to trolling . I add a small bearing swivel on the lure it self at the back end b4 the hook and tie small leader line on that then the hook , takes care of my line twist during trolling

#21 ·
Too many rods to list , few Mitchell 300 that I had as,a kid and my dad's ones as well , everything from a 5 ft ultra light with a ultra light Penn reel to a 9 ft Bass Rod . Some very nice Fly rods right up to my old Spey Rod from my Salmon Days on the Margaree and Grand Rivers when tags were still issued and we were still allowed to retain them. Lines Vary from 4 lb test right up , can use what ever type line you like , but if right knots is not used to tie off your gear line means nothing . The right leader material with low to zero memory . Lines like Sufix , Seagaur , Maxima make excellent lines , higher priced but don't give you line twist like Berkey and other lower end lines do .

#22 ·
If one is having issues with twist braided line is a must and all braided regardless of brand are non memory That being said they are not for everyone and have issues also like trying to keep a knot from slipping out is huge seeing the line in the water and there is no give so can be hard on some rods and reels
The berkley trilene xl doesn't have any of these issues and fishes like any other monofilament line and still has excellent non memory qualities and cheaper and easier to find
Some reading here about braided

#33 · (Edited)
you don't like it to fkn bad ! How is that , you just go off on anyone trying post ACTUAL NOVA SCOTIA HUNTING TOPICS AND STAY ON TRACK , so simply STFU and do EVERYONE A FAVOR AND SIMPLY GO AWAY
, This place is PEACEFUL AND RESPECTFULL , when your not around . That simply bothers you PEOPLE HERE ARE TIRED OF YOU , YOUR Arse kissing and your B.S

Go ahead and report me , see if I care , At least I post actual content from actual event with actual people involved , not some dream while sitting at the computer !

#50 ·
This province speckled trout situation isnt great.Pickeral and smallmouth arent helping.Musqodobit eastern shore still have some decent brooks and lakes check out google earth place is littered with waterways.
The best ones you have to work to get to.Friday looks like a good day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.