Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 176 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 · (Edited)
Some nice fish there! I wish I had a good spot where I could catch a few that size. As Stripper66 said earlier, "Good to see some current fishing pictures, instead of only ones from years gone by". I guess some good sized ones still exist up your way!
Any Time your Down my way , I'll be more than happy to take you out for a day to chase some of these fellas down , right , day , right time and right lures , and lots of luck . That and checking my log books of yrs gone by

Discussion starter · #125 ·
So I have had great success catching lake trout , rainbow trout , sockeye and King salmon using a Pixie lure with a pink plastic centre. I wonder if you have ever tried one on brown or sea run trout here in Nova Scotia? Maybe one day I will get back to fishing and give one a try.
Seen them in different colors , the ones with Orange centre work great on Browns , never tried a Pink one , Green ones work great on Speckles as well .

My favourite way to cook a 3 to 6 pound lake trout is butterflied on the BBQ. I leave the skin on and coat the skin side and flesh with grape seed oil. I put it on the grill skin side down, medium heat and lower the lid 3/4 of the way. Just after the flesh starts to loose its transparency I brush on a homemade glaze: melted butter, brown sugar and freshly squeezed lemon mixed together. Heat this in sauce pan with enough orange juice so that when heated it is like a syrup. After brushing on lower the lid until a nice glaze forms on the fish….. crack open a second beer and enjoy your fresh fish with your favourite sides.

What are you guys using for lures / bait, when catching these nice trout ?? I do very little trout fishing now, because we are over run with bass and pickerel. When I do fish for trout … my tackle is pretty simple.… Spinner and a worm.

Discussion starter · #131 · (Edited)
What are you guys using for lures / bait, when catching these nice trout ?? I do very little trout fishing now, because we are over run with bass and pickerel. When I do fish for trout … my tackle is pretty simple.… Spinner and a worm.
Hard baits like Rapala or Live target lures , minnow on bobber or minnow hooks , Hildebrant and worm or minnow , various spoons with deep orange colors . I switch up with weather and water conditions,. Plus a lot of these bigger fish are found in small deep coves off the Bras Dor lakes , I try my best to hide the truck or park where no one suspects we are at the time . Several spots we are , we have written permission to go across the property and park off to the side or in a spot land owner allows us . Some places are fully gated and no matter what the law states some these people will call the mounties and tell you straight out , find another way down to the water , but not going over my land to do it . The garbage left behind in the " Regular Guys Hang outs " is just disgusting , many of these places we go are clean for a reason , tell no one and we pack out what came in and anything that washes in .

even tried good ole Al's gold fish yesterday and nothing touched it , Only a few types were really working good .

Got out today to try our luck on some trout. Took my grandson and went to an old spot I used to fish as a child. A good hours walk in the bush. We managed to get 2 that were about 10 inches in length, but had some good thickness to them. He was more than happy to take them home. Beauty of a day. Lots of sun, no wind and no blackflies !! There was a decent mayfly hatch today. They were more interested in those, than our worms.

Guess not.....just heard a couple local guys on the VHF talking...they were trout fishing here last evening...millions of may flies out !! Lots of little trout rising for them. Nothing any size caught.

Took the Canoe out Saturday to one of our Honey Holes. The mayfly were starting good and the trout were jumping like crazy.
Between Dad and I, we must have hooked close to our limit. Mostly small 6-8” brookies, but man were they fighting for their size! It was a blast. Ended up keeping 3 for the pan, the 2 smallest ones were around 7.5-9” and the bigger one was 12”. All of them were fairly thick.
We were using spinner and worms for the first half of the day, but after a few of the little ones kept swallowing the hook I switched to a Yellow Panther Martin with a silver spinner.

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Daytime

Rectangle Wood Grey Grille Gas

Hwwa first class for the l2f was a soggy day
The class arrived about 20min before the stock truck and got to watch as we dumped fish into the pond.
By 11am everything and everyone was soaked through, wouldnt have been terrible if the wind wasnt trying to blow the shelters to Ohio. Eventually all the kids got hot chocolate and hot dogs quieting the masses until the bus returned.

Discussion starter · #140 ·
Got out this morning for few hours and even tho the heavy rain and cooler winds , I dawned on my rain gear and headed down to the cove I was at last Tuesday , took a chance and gave it a go . East winds were battling my efforts , hardly an y fish following or hitting at my offerings . One nice brown chased a small school of shiners inshore and then swam along side but would not take on my lure.
after a few more attempts I did manage to land a nice 18 Inch Sea Trout

121 - 140 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.