Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
141 - 160 of 176 Posts
Has anyone seen gaspereau running? I've been checking my local rivers, where I got gaspereau last May, since mid April and I haven't seen anything. Now a friend of mine said he saw them way up the river chain (four lakes higher). This seems early or something. Did I miss them?

Discussion starter · #145 ·
Has anyone seen gaspereau running? I've been checking my local rivers, where I got gaspereau last May, since mid April and I haven't seen anything. Now a friend of mine said he saw them way up the river chain (four lakes higher). This seems early or something. Did I miss them?
Nothing down my way at the regular spots , I'll be heading out the weekend and checking around .

Nothing down my way at the regular spots , I'll be heading out the weekend and checking around .
Well, I spoke to a fisherman coming in off the lower lake on Sunday and he said the fishfinder was full of gaspereau on the bottom. The last two days I've been seeing schools circling in the lower pool of the river so they should be running any day now. I'll check on my way home from work again today.
We're down to 8 of last years fish so I need to restock. :)

What do you do with them ? Smoke em..salt em ? We've never done anything with gaspereau cept use em for lobster bait or hand line bait for cod or pollack.
See lots smoking them now.
I talked to a couple of indigenous guys in the highlands back in the 90s...they smoked them hard and hung them up in trees in strategic places to lure the bears in for a shot ! Said their grand fathers did it. Worked for them as well !! !

Reactions: 3macs1
What do you do with them ? Smoke em..salt em ? We've never done anything with gaspereau cept use em for lobster bait or hand line bait for cod or pollack.
I talked to a couple of indigenous guys in the highlands back in the 90s...they smoked them hard and hung them up in trees in strategic places to lure the bears in for a shot ! Said their grand fathers did it. Worked for them as well !! !
Here locally they were bait also except I remember many pickling them in Margaree and they did taste good
Only issue was as my grandmother would say best allow a day to eat a bottle to get all the bones out :ROFLMAO:

Smoking them is pretty common down in this part of the province. They are good ... if you can get past the bone part. I believe there are still some commercial fishers in the LaHave River, that sells them to the fisherman for bait.

We herring cut them and pan fry them. The small bones fry up crispy and you can eat them. The main bones stay on the spine.
Here's a video I did last year on them. The last part shows how we cook them:

Well heres a different twist sorta
Hwwa had the first 2 boxes of hotdogs (48dozen!) for the learn to fish donated by Eddies on hwy1 . as a thank you a few of us pooled a few fish for him. He ended up with about 10lbs of filleted trout, one third raw, one third smoked, one third candied. When i dropped them off he was speechless, when he finally got to speaking he said it was a lot of fish but some wouldnt make it home as smoked fish was a favorite of his.
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Seafood

Wood Gas Machine Metal Electrical supply

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Baked goods

A little thank you goes a long way with most small business owners when they're supporting local volunteers. He couldnt believe we used over 30dozen hot dogs in 2 weeks.

Volunteers and supporters...the unsung heros of thousands of programs for youth and adults alike !! Doesn't take a whole lot to show some appreciation for them...to see the look of surprise, gratitude and thanks on their faces is priceless !!
That was a great thing you guys did Tim...just shows what some of us already know...you're a class act with a good heart !! Well done HWWA !!

Thats a dandy !!!
Sure is I hope he tastes as good as he looks Going to have to wait until tomorrow to BBQ him mama came home with supper from work and it is going to be raining and a high of 7 tomorrow so BBQ with the winter coat on :( Girls won't eat trout don't know what they are missing Have to find some cash to get the first feed of lobster also this weekend No idea what they are going for this year but it is never too much money for a few feeds of them a year The days of barter for them for me are gone now since almost no one runs the old chev 292 engines any more for me to work on plus too many flowers to baby to find that time right now

141 - 160 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.