Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

2023 moose draw

5K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  back2field 
#1 ·
I have a quick question concerning the moose draw .... I know you can not apply if you were drawn in the last 5 years, but if I get drawn, can a person (who was drawn 4 years ago) accompany me as a hunter if it's still within the 5 year window ... or is he totally out of the game until the 5 years is up ???

#10 ·
Like everyone else I just got another email reminder from the NS Wildlife Division that the moose draw application will close tomorrow at noon. Get your wallets out.

Your odds went up a bit because my buddy and I aren’t donating the application fee this year. Remember Bull only for this year and who knows maybe next year it will only be a native hunt. Good luck to ya all!

#16 ·
Slightly off topic ... but did you all get the email from the New Glasgow Kinsmen ??? Buy tickets for a chance to win an all expenses paid trip for a NL moose hunt. It sounds like quite a trip, regardless if you bag a moose or not. I bought a bunch of tickets. My chances of winning that is probably better than getting drawn in the CB moose lottery

#21 ·
That's funny! Good dark humour!
The really sad part is I don't see anyone except some of us on here jumping up and down about it. We already "shot the last moose" in Cape Breton once about 100 years ago! Apparently DNRR and hunters, native and non-native, do not look back at history.
Dumb humans is all we are!

#22 ·
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Tree
wife and i were fishing the margaree last week and seen this little fella crossing a brook back the east interval rd. Put truck in reverse and seen him come outta the brook to a small field. He was calling for his mother none stop. We watched each other for a solid five mins. When the wifey started talking to him he ran up within 10 feet of truck. Was good to see
Plant Branch Wood Tree Natural landscape

Plant Working animal Natural landscape Tree Fawn

#35 ·
Heres the funny story for today...
I did not apply for the moose draw this year for various reasons, first time in 28yrs. Tonight im looking stuff up about my new to me camper and i get this message

"In other news, I'm an alternate for the moose draw and don't know anybody who hunts. If I get it do you think you could help me put a team together?"

So she is a non hunter asking me to pull a team together for a zone 5 season 6 alternate hunt. The hardest hunt and if called ill be going. Ive got connections that have property there so location is almost confirmed. Ive contacted a few people who id like to see go and 2 would like to but dont think they're up for the challenge.

#37 ·
Same way I guess my 89 year old mom can Cause she has a wildlife card etc from when she bought deer licences 40/50 years ago and never held a gun in her life :rolleyes: but got a lot of deer in those days;) I also assume the tree huggers still do it like they did years ago just to take a tag away from a real hunter and save a moose

#38 · (Edited)
I have had some interesting conversations from the arm chair in the last 2 weeks since I cannot get to the highlands and talk to the birds :rolleyes:or beavers :petc with some first nations hunters that are also good customers or really their mrs are :) and all are saying the same last year they didnot even get close to what they required or wanted to take and say their harvest is down over 75% In fact some first time ever got NONE
Deer are coming back and have taken over where moose were and they are seeing brain worm and moose are very very scarce this year even worse than last and only a few pockets remain
Also said in their reserve none have been taken so far and the ones they say hunt properly ( not sure what that means ) don't start until 10-14 days prior to the start of the regular season
Added since covid and the crazy prices many are now being taken illegally when they enter the villages ( way more than ever) by locals to a degree never seen before which makes perfect sense
It all just confirms why my pal cut less than 25 last year when 75/100 was the norm for many years
Bottom line the season should be closed with tags for just what they needed to eat them selves thier words not mine and any one that gets a moose will be very very lucky

#39 ·
Sad isn't it how this animal has basically been hunted to extinction once again. I was never a fan of the moose. Said one day on here they were a dumb animal that would be easily slaughtered and it ruffled feathers, but true. If they were not a dumb animals the natives and non natives would not be so successful and many would not persue them. The highlands since the moose draw has become a well travelled area, monthly. How any animal could survive would be next to impossible with this pressure. If we approached deer this way the numbers would also be be devastated. Oh well. Really left scratching my head why this still is taking place?

#40 ·
The Cape Breton Moose herd (Implanted Alberta Moose) which are a different species than the eastern woodland moose are an example of what I would call an isolated micro - herd giving the amount of territory they inhabit. When you compare the amount of territory they inhabit on Cape Breton Island, (basically Inverness and Victoria counties) to other moose herds across Canada, especially in NW Ontario and all provinces to the west the difference is vast.

The moose hunting lottery in N W Ontario has gone through some changes in the last decade and hunters are experiencing a decrease in the amount of tags allotted. I would like to hear from hunters from Alberta and B.C. In regards to moose tags allotted in the last decade and any changes they have noticed. I am wondering if there is a trend indicating a decrease in the number of moose across the country and if so what might be the cause.

Over the last several years, the Cape Breton moose herd was determined to be eating itself out of house and home, to the point where their seasonal food supply was not able to regenerate itself and causing significant damage to the historical forests of northern Cape Breton Island. The result was several moose culls in the recent past which did not seem to target specific animals: so many bulls, so many cows, so many yearlings, but instead just a “number” of animals.

Many articles have made the local news that stated the culls were not necessary and the numbers taken were way to high. Obviously, something in the calculation was incorrect as this years moose count revealed a catastrophic decrease in the amount of moose in the Cape Breton Moose Herd.

So the question remains: what are the powers to be trying to conserve, the moose population of Cape Breton , the historic forest of the highlands in Cape Breton or a combination of both. It would seem that a good conservation plan would include some give and take and in this aspect the moose hunting season for the 2023 season needs to be cancelled if the Island’s moose herd is to return to a stable state.

I am old enough to remember the days of moose hunting on mainland Nova Scotia, specifically in Guysborough county. Unfortunately, it seems that the old saying “ history will repeat itself” may once again prove to the true.

#45 ·
The Cape Breton Moose herd (Implanted Alberta Moose) which are a different species than the eastern woodland moose are an example of what I would call an isolated micro - herd giving the amount of territory they inhabit. When you compare the amount of territory they inhabit on Cape Breton Island, (basically Inverness and Victoria counties) to other moose herds across Canada, especially in NW Ontario and all provinces to the west the difference is vast.

The moose hunting lottery in N W Ontario has gone through some changes in the last decade and hunters are experiencing a decrease in the amount of tags allotted. I would like to hear from hunters from Alberta and B.C. In regards to moose tags allotted in the last decade and any changes they have noticed. I am wondering if there is a trend indicating a decrease in the number of moose across the country and if so what might be the cause.

Over the last several years, the Cape Breton moose herd was determined to be eating itself out of house and home, to the point where their seasonal food supply was not able to regenerate itself and causing significant damage to the historical forests of northern Cape Breton Island. The result was several moose culls in the recent past which did not seem to target specific animals: so many bulls, so many cows, so many yearlings, but instead just a “number” of animals.

Many articles have made the local news that stated the culls were not necessary and the numbers taken were way to high. Obviously, something in the calculation was incorrect as this years moose count revealed a catastrophic decrease in the amount of moose in the Cape Breton Moose Herd.

So the question remains: what are the powers to be trying to conserve, the moose population of Cape Breton , the historic forest of the highlands in Cape Breton or a combination of both. It would seem that a good conservation plan would include some give and take and in this aspect the moose hunting season for the 2023 season needs to be cancelled if the Island’s moose herd is to return to a stable state.

I am old enough to remember the days of moose hunting on mainland Nova Scotia, specifically in Guysborough county. Unfortunately, it seems that the old saying “ history will repeat itself” may once again prove to the true.
Many parts of BC have seen a decline in available moose licenses/tags and moose also. Often but not exclusively due to road construction for logging purposes. The creation of access with the loss of habitat combined with an increase of predators (2 and 4 legged) has an impact especially when management is done on a huge scale. The fastest recruitment has accrued when predator management was applied. We do put a lot of effort into trapping wolves and we see a difference where successful.
Reading here really made me think what kind of other problems exist within the same country. I guess getting objectives to meet some kind of balance between all and then managing for them is something needed in many places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.