Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a entry level wby. vanguard in 300 win. not really sure why lol. what would be a good scope for it was thinking about a leupold vx 3-hd 3.5x10x40.with talley mounts? Have never shot one before so concerned about eye relief. tks

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My buddy uses the Leupold 3.5x10x40 on his 7mm rem mag and has good eye relief. If you want to go a cheaper route try the Vortex Crossfire II 4x12x44. I compared both at Young Guns and found the Crossfire had better eye relief and was super clear. Used it for my NL moose hunt and loved it for being able to shoulder the rifle quickly and have the animal in view.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bought a entry level wby. vanguard in 300 win. not really sure why lol. what would be a good scope for it was thinking about a leupold vx 3-hd 3.5x10x40.with talley mounts? Have never shot one before so concerned about eye relief. tks
I run talleys pretty much exclusively on most of my guns. I run a leupold 4.5-14 Leupold on my wind bag as this is my "longer range gun". Whatever that means, I envision it as my moose gun where I need to shoot 300-400 yards across a bog. A guy can dream can't he? For deer around here I find that the .300 is too much gun but if its your only option why not.

My go to hunting rig runs talleys and a 3.5-10 and really like it a lot.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Entry level vanguard 1 or two syn or wood stock.? How much does it weight. These rifles have a nice stock riser so as long as scope is mounted as low as possible you should have a good cheek weld. 40 mm scope is good. Woodstock absorbs recoil better than syn. I shot 300 win tikka m65 wood with hornady 180 gr. for years with Leopold 3 x 9 x 40 mm and I wear glasses. Lots of eye relief. A good recoil pad is a must. Have fun.oh ya like beaver hunter said .Talley mounts are good. I like the one piece tallies 😎

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a vanguard 2 synthetic 7.5 lbs. The mounts i was thinking of are the one piece. Used a 243 for a long time than jumped up to my dads 270 when he passed. Will be first time shooting any rifle over 3006. From what ive read leopold scopes seem to stand up to recoil. Will check out the vortex crossfire ll also.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I spoke on line with a Vortex technician before buying the Crossfire as my main question was will the Crossfire stand up to magnum recoil? He assured me that their specs for the Crossfire are built to handle the magnum recoil. Went to the range 3 times over the summer and shot about 5 shells each time and once sighted in it held perfect. I was sighting in 0 @ 200 yds. Fortunately the moose I shot was 205 yds.

With all that said Leupold are known for standing up to recoil as well - the deciding factor for me was price.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

·
GREYBEARD
2,927 Posts
When it comes to optics, I think it's important to check them out in person if at all possible, for eye relief and clarity.
I don't think you can go wrong with a good Vortex, Leupold or Bushnell.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When it comes to optics, I think it's important to check them out in person if at all possible, for eye relief and clarity.
I don't think you can go wrong with a good Vortex, Leupold or Bushnell.
Bushnells are now made in China, while a fan of the older ones I wouldn't touch the new ones.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Leupold!

·
GREYBEARD
2,927 Posts
Bushnells are now made in China, while a fan of the older ones I wouldn't touch the new ones.
Good to know, I was thinking of the the older 4200 series which I have.
I am with nomad on Leupold as my top choice, as I have never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Good to know, I was thinking of the the older 4200 series which I have.
I am with nomad on Leupold as my top choice, as I have never had an issue with them.
Yeah I have an older 3200 still on a rifle, good glass made in Japan. All my other hunting rifles wear Leupold now.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite … and 2 3500 Elites.… a couple Banners and a Nikon. I have a Leupold on my Muzzy. My personal favourite is the Elite 3500 DOA 600 reticle. If your budget is a bit higher … Leupold makes a good quality scope. I hate spending a fortune on a scope … so that’s why I like my Elites … made in Japan or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts