Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Budget shooter supply sells it as does tradeex and x-reload.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Real bad advice IMO and not just me saying this
The 30-30 brass is smaller at the base and it's going to expand by .02" when you fire it risking case failure ( many split) and the 30-30 brass is .02" longer so even if it chambers it very likely will be up against the rifling and could crimp the bullet and raise pressures.

Even resized the .02" difference at the base is enough from EVER using 30-30 brass in a 303 Savage rifle. It's just not worth the chance of serious case failures.

also from others

If you've ever fired a cartridge with too long a neck you'd know that you would not EVER want to do that again. I damn near blew a .308 apart because the neck was a few 1/1000's to long.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Real bad advice IMO and not just me saying this
The 30-30 brass is smaller at the base and it's going to expand by .02" when you fire it risking case failure ( many split) and the 30-30 brass is .02" longer so even if it chambers it very likely will be up against the rifling and could crimp the bullet and raise pressures.

Even resized the .02" difference at the base is enough from EVER using 30-30 brass in a 303 Savage rifle. It's just not worth the chance of serious case failures.

also from others

If you've ever fired a cartridge with too long a neck you'd know that you would not EVER want to do that again. I damn near blew a .308 apart because the neck was a few 1/1000's to long.
That looks word for word like Calhoun's post on 24 Hour Campfire.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
That looks word for word like Calhoun's post on 24 Hour Campfire.
It maybe similar on many forms since it has been tried and frowned on for years and for the exact same reasons and it can only be said one way. I did read a few posts like 20 on various forms before I posted here to remind my self exactly why since it has been a lot of years and took notes from a few
In the end not safe to do or recommended PERIOD
You think we did not do what we now see as dangerous foolish stuff back in the day and remember this one being a no no and to never do. There was a time this brass was impossible to get not now

But since you brought it up that dude does a way better job than me explaining it but we agree and yes close I guess but word for word NOPE

His post

1) The 30-30 brass is narrower at the base, which means it's going to expand by .02" when you fire it risking case failure.
2) The 30-30 brass is .02" longer, meaning that if it even chambers it very likely will be up against the rifling and could crimp the bullet in raising pressures.

Even if resized, the .02" difference at the base would keep me from EVER using 30-30 brass in a 303 Savage rifle. It's just not worth the chance of serious case failures.

30-30:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

and others
NO!

.30-30 brass is ~0.02" smaller at the head than .303 Savage and you'd likely get split cases that could damage the rifle's chamber or worse. According to Ken Howell's book Custom Cartridgesyou can form cases from .220 Swift cases by fireforming with an inert filler (corn meal) and a fast pistol powder. Then back off the .303 Savage sizing die so that the cases headspace on the formed cases shoulder instead of the rim. Trim them to length, deburr, and go for it.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Not worth the headache of trying to make your own anymore. .303 savage brass is not as hard to get like it used to be.

·
Registered
663 Posts
MY 2 cents might not mean much but with all the guns out there, and all not to mention the calibers as well ,,why, oh,,why would you have to try and make up something like that, safer to buy another gun,, wiser to buy another gun,,, healthier to buy another gun, so why?

·
Registered
11 Posts
MY 2 cents might not mean much but with all the guns out there, and all not to mention the calibers as well ,,why, oh,,why would you have to try and make up something like that, safer to buy another gun,, wiser to buy another gun,,, healthier to buy another gun, so why?
brass was not available at the time , I used Remington brass and got 4 reloads until they started to split.
I enjoy the gun. 99 savage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes I suppose you do,, can't fault you for that. I do like a few things, starting with my life, my head, my fingers ,eyes, did I mention my fingers and my hands. That's why I like the Lever action Winchesters and the 30-30 rnd. and the 32 Special, never blew off my fingers yet,,,, lol
But then again,, best guns ever my opinion of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I suppose you do,, can't fault you for that. I do like a few things, starting with my life, my head, my fingers ,eyes, did I mention my fingers and my hands. That's why I like the Lever action Winchesters and the 30-30 rnd. and the 32 Special, never blew off my fingers yet,,,, lol
But then again,, best guns ever my opinion of course.
I still have all of my parts and got to shoot my 303 savage as well

·
Registered
11 Posts
Priceless. We have a guy here that drives motorcycles with no helmet also. You dudes should get together:D:D
Ever hear of luck and eventually it will run out.
Cheers
I also have an old gun that the chamber is worn 15 thou. 44/40 92 Winchester it shoots fine as well.
Should I not shoot this gun? As it has been shot many times before?
While we are on it if I drive in the states I do not wear a helmet on the highways where it is legal

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I also have an old gun that the chamber is worn 15 thou. 44/40 92 Winchester it shoots fine as well.
Should I not shoot this gun? As it has been shot many times before?
While we are on it if I drive in the states I do not wear a helmet on the highways where it is legal
Should anyone that can comprehend this issue of 3030/303 be shocked
YOU don't Fk with reloading especially rifle ammo the pressures involved are nothing to take lightly
I could not careless what you do just don't be here recommending what you did to others when it is not safe or recommended by those that know the difference
We help each other here not mutilate each other from sharing stupidity that we got away with so far

·
Registered
11 Posts
Should anyone that can comprehend this issue be shocked
YOU don't Fk with reloading especially rifle ammo
what makes you an authority. If you have any back ground training or experience, tell me about it.
45 years experience on my side. I have seen you copy and paste others opinions from other sites.
Let me know or I will run with my experience. Have a great day

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
what makes you an authority. If you have any back ground training or experience, tell me about it.
45 years experience on my side. I have seen you copy and paste others opinions from other sites.
Let me know or I will run with my experience. Have a great day
45 years WOW should I be impressed . How about may be 1 year 45 times you have at best
I have nothing to prove to you but been reloading since 1965 from handgun to shotgun in most calipers and gauges and have NEVER altered or played with any reload from proven manuals and tested recommendations and never will or will never recommend any one should

Show me where ANYONE will agree it is SAFE what you are doing
Like I said could not careless what you do fill your boots while you still have hands to do it since you are running on nothing but luck
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
45 years WOW should I be impressed . How about may be 1 year 45 times you have
I have nothing to prove to you but been reloading since 1965 from handgun to shotgun in most calipers and gauges and have NEVER altered or played with any reload from proven manuals and tested recommendations
Show me where ANYONE will agree it is SAFE what you are doing
Like I said could not careless what you do fill your boots while you still have hands to do it
Cheers
most wildcat rounds came from altering established brass to create a new round. I guess there has been people changing from established reload manuals. using their experience to come up with the new rounds . maybe you could come up with the next wildcat believe in yourself

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
most wildcat rounds came from altering established brass to create a new round. I guess there has been people changing from established reload manuals. using their experience to come up with the new rounds . maybe you could come up with the next wildcat believe in yourself
yep in a back yard like you. NOT I'm done
Looking back no idea why I even said a word
Beaverband 270 is a smart knowledgeable dude in this area and doesn't need anyone's help to do what is safe other than to find a source of savage 303 brass which nomad did
Take care

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the help guys....I was aware that X-Reload had the PRVI brass in stock, just was hoping someone had some locally.My neighbor at my camp had just bought a model 99 in 303 Savage and couldn't find loaded ammo.Got a set of dies from Sandy up in Debert, but he didn't have brass.....just wanted to help a friend/neighbor out.Didn't mean for this thread to goes sideways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts