Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Looking for some experience or information on a winchester 350 Legend. I have a trade offer for one but have no idea what this is capable of in regard to game. My other concern would be ammo..I don’t reload so not interested in huge ammo cost or having to look high and low for ammo. Any experience and thoughts would be appreciated:)

·
GREYBEARD
3,192 Posts
What I have read about this cartridge is it compares best to 35 Rem, but the 35 rem or 30-30 would be a much better choice.
If you think 35 Rem might be hard to find, 350 Legend in Canada is likely very hard to find on shelves.
3macs1 is right that it was designed as an AR cartridge as well.
Look up Chuck Hawks for his info on the 350 Legend
https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_350_legend.html

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love the idea of it in a lever action. It's designed to be compliant with the straight wall cartridge limits in some states for deer hunting so it is a capable 100 to 150 yard cartridge for deer.

I'm not sure I see any value in a bolt action 350

·
Administrator
10,857 Posts
Good chance he's trading it for a reason. rare as hens teeth ammo ..limited range would be my first 2 summizes

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The Gun-dealer has lots of 350 Legend ammo. Appears to be cheaper than a lot of “normal” ammo. To be honest … I have never heard of this caliber before. I started to look at it. It was designed for the deer hunter, and is capable of taking deer out to 250 yards. Might be a cool rifle to have.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Guess one has to look it from the other side also why during an ammo shortage is there lots of 350 around
Be interesting to know how much ever sold from the initial shipments
Cheers

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have never heard of the calibre before. Obviously it is not very popular. But there seems to be some ammo around.
It's newer, as mentioned above it gets around some US states where regulations say you need a straight walled cartridge. Where those restrictions aren't applied here it really solves nothing unless you want to play around with a different cartridge for kicks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The give you the 35 Rem performance in a new design strait wall cartridge. It first appeared in AR's then moved to bolts and single shots. I just bought one of the 450 Bushmasters in a Ruger Ranch Rifle. It is of the same design and is power similar to 444 Marlin. Bought the rifle for the Gun Dealer with some ammo. You will see the 350 gain ground here in the next couple years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
Looking for some experience or information on a winchester 350 Legend. I have a trade offer for one but have no idea what this is capable of in regard to game. My other concern would be ammo..I don’t reload so not interested in huge ammo cost or having to look high and low for ammo. Any experience and thoughts would be appreciated:)
Hey everyone,
Hello there, Don't post much but though I'd give you some feedback after a full season with my Savage Axis 350 Legend and Ruger Ranch rifle in 350L I can give some feedback. Ammo is far cheaper than other short action ammo. I buy it from arsenalforce.ca which scrapes a ton of Canadian gunstore websites.
After 40 years of hunting with 30-30, 308, and 30-06 I needed a low recoil calibre to hunt with due a bad shoulder.
I'm probably one of the first I guess to use this calibre around here. People are suspicious of it I guess. Its frankly a fabulous mid size animal cartridge. It has 8-9lb recoil wonderful to shoot. What they've done with this cartridge is amazing.
Its the perfect 0-200yd calibre in my opinion due to the factors noted above and below.
I was skeptical until I used the calibre this Fall.
My Savage Axis is Zeroed for Winchester 180gr SuperX for black bear.
Took one at a 100yds this Fall in Musquodoboit Valley. Found it 40yds away. 175lb black bear. The 180gr was a full lung pass-through at 110yds with the bear. Hits like a truck. The lungs were mush.
My Ruger Ranch rifle is zeroed for Winchester 150gr XP. This round is perfect for deer. Took a cow doe (had a tag) this Fall as well. It dropped on the spot. Same thing, engine room was liquefied. They have done a lot of research I guess on expansion because holy cow does it leave a channel.... I have to say. I'm impressed. My buddies laughed when I brought them to camp. They weren't laughing after those kills. My 3 buddies have bought a 350 Legend rifle at Christmas for next years hunt.

I'm telling ya. You are missing out. My other rifles never left the safe this Fall. Didn't need them. After that bear I was hooked. Go watch some youtube videos on it. Its actually not hype.
Most importantly, it super cheap to hunt with, 6lb-7lb rifles and super light recoil.
It ain't no kids gun.

·
Administrator
10,857 Posts
Awesome first hand data for the rest of us ! Thankx for taking the time to post it and share it !

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts