Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the range yesterday testing loads and i found a sweet spot
5.3gr bullseye, jacket flat nose truncated 240gr, federal magnum pistol primers from my nef .44 rifle using iron sights @50y...... .75 inch grouping but heres the best part, i couldn't hear them fire using my ear plugs!
I could see the dirt fly off the berm, i could feel the recoil, see the holes in the target with spotting scope. But no BANG
First time it happened i thought primer pop, barrel plugged but upon inspection it was free and clear. I even walked out to the target looking for the projectile only to find a hole in the target, high right.
I repeated the process a total of 5 times with the same results, i moved up to 5.9gr and could just hear it fire, my 9.4gr load was heard in the next county.

The lower amounts were pistol data while the 9.7gr was from rifle data.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been planning to do something like that myself buy never could find a load, what bullets are are you using- brand and bullet diameter ? Also what rifle and barrel length and twist rate of the barrel.

·
GREYBEARD
3,251 Posts
With the pistol loads I would be concerned about sticking a bullet in the barrel with smaller amounts of powder or the starting load.
I have wanted to try pistol loads in my 44 rifle, but have not so far.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a 240gr jfp truncated (campro bulk box) coming from my Nef .44. The 22inch barrel is 1 to 38 , depends on the year if its .429 or .432 but i think mind is 429 as it shoots very well with .429 cast and factory.
Ive been running pistol loads in my rifle for almost 15yrs, wow had to stop and think its been that long. When i first got my .44 i had a very good friend teach me about reloading so i could get a load suited to my needs. He helped me develop a target (pistol) load to practice with at the range and a heavy hitter for hunting bear, the 44 is my bear rifle.
Since i started reloading 44 ive now got several pistol loads that are very accurate in my rifle using several different powders. Only this last bunch has produced "quiet" loads as that was not my intention.
I now use the lighter loads when Hwwa has an event so everyone can shoot without the dreaded heavy recoil. Last year Ross, aka the gun dealer, sent factory 44 for our big hunter ed course that i quickly dropped into my range box, not used for the days event. Someone saw me hiding it and asked why i didnt plan on using it, i handed him a factory round as well as a reload, both were 240gr xtp rounds that looked identical. He fired both and then understood my rationale as he rubbed his shoulder.
When i start with a new powder work up with pistol data i expect a few minor issues, but never getting a bullet stuck in the barrel. Based on my reseach and hands on loading most 44pistol loads are running 800fps or better and have more than enough energy to clear my barrel. I do bring a rod in case ive made a mistake but haven't had the need to use it yet.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been planning to do something like that myself buy never could find a load, what bullets are are you using- brand and bullet diameter ? Also what rifle and barrel length and twist rate of the barrel.
iyet.

If you google subsonic 44 youll find a guy in the states that fires his 44 in his backyard in the suburbs and he doesn't upset his neighborhood. There was a video as well of another guy who was measuring sound levels of his 44 and had the db under 80
If you look for anything unique someone has already done it and its on the internet

·
GREYBEARD
3,251 Posts
Definitely sounds like you know what your doing, and you have a rifle that you can check the bore easily if something does go wrong.
The factory loads hit hard on both ends😀

·
GREYBEARD
3,251 Posts
I let a young hunter I know try my 44 at the range a number of years ago, I told him the rifle kicks, and by the third shot he was in full agreement.
I think my rifle only weighs 6lbs or less maybe.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If youre down this way i can give you some to try

Ive got reduced loads for h110, hp38, now bullseye and another i cant remember
My rifle is a single shot so checking for blockages is super easy. I've got no idea what the rifle weighs but its not super heavy.

·
GREYBEARD
3,251 Posts
I may be down that way in the next while and if I am I will give you a shout.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I have five of the little buggers that I collected over the years. One of the neatest little hunting guns out there. I run the 265 FN Hornby through them all for hunting. 20.7 grs of Winchester 296. Really hard now to find 265 as there no longer being made. I had to settle for 240 gr, which Cabela's is shipping this week. Stuff is some scarce to find these days.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2 - 240gr molds and a 300gr mold plus several hundred pounds of lead, add to that some 249gr xtp and 2 boxes of campro 240gr and a few pounds of powder and im good for a bit. My weak link is large magnum rifle primers as im under a brick.
I was brought up to put something away for the future and im glad i did, i probably have more stuff stashed here than i can shoot in my lifetime but it aint going no where until im gone. Once im gone my wife has 2 names to deal with whats here, they will treat her right.
Until then im shooting when i want and what caliber i want with no worries about running out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts