Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

58 cal update

717 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  superslickie 
#1 ·
As some will remember i got an ugly grey painted stock set on the 58 cal muzzie. Well after hitting it with gasp 60 grit sandpaper because the 100 grit would clog up after a minute as whoever had it before me left the original finish on before adding a black coat (that "melted" when sanded) before the grey paint. After an hour of struggling i decided to try scraping it off, i did the entire stock and forestock in 30min scraping. I then turned on the palm sander 120gr and went all over it to remove any minor blemish i may have missed. Then it was a hand sand @220 to lift and finish the stripping process.
Heres the before and after
Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

Glove Textile Sleeve Dress Wood

The centre wood is from the 45cal, i figured if im doing one might as well do both.
Now there is no way in hell im hiding that wood so im thinking stain to bring out the grain then oil or just oil?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The center one looks like it would be medium dark with just urethane or oil so I'd probably go that way with it. The other looks quite light coloured so maybe stain first if its too light. I personally like to stay away from stain when I can because I feel stained wood will tend to show any dings much worse. But that's just me.

#5 ·
Tim...before you stain the whole thing...get yourself a small can of ebony stain...use a Qtip and trace out some of those grain veins. Esp the ones that are stacked up and double back. You can let it soak in on a few of them or wipe it off after 20-30 seconds. ..you can do a couple...4 or 5 or even more of them if you choose to. Let it dry in good 12-24 hrs, THEN hit it up with your stain of choice. Some of the mahogany's ( reds and browns) or the special walnuts might give you that look your after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.