Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
10,997 Posts
I use my pocket knive pretty well every single day !!!!
I have several Buck knives for all my hunting needs, Have had them since the 70's. Keep a great edge, tough (not quite Kevin tough mind you..lol)..I busted the blade off of my 119 pounding thru a moose pelvis bone back in then 80's. Took a pic of it (actual film print !!) and sent it, along with my knife off to Buck.USA. They replaced and even sent me a knew sheath ! Thanked me for using their products. Same with dads old lock blade...replaced it NQA !!
Still have my old german steel knife (solingen steel)...amazing knife !!

I've carried a knife all my life so far...my uncle gave me a folding Nor-Mark back in 72/73...had it for 10 yrs...think I broke it trying to pry an engine out of the bedding blocks in the boat...lmao. I screwed it to a beam in my wharf (was his wharf and his grand fathers before him) to remind me of him when I was working on gear. You can see my knife sheath on my side in my wedding photos...sticking out under my vest.
I carry a swiss army camper edition in my pocket EVERY DAY ! No matter where I go. I'm on my second blade..first one got sharpened away ! This one has less than half left.

Dad always said..." you can gauge a man by how sharp his pocket knife is !" I keep mine sharp...all the time !

·
GREYBEARD
3,255 Posts
An old thread but a good one, Grohmann for me all the way.
Just had the kitchen knives sharpened at the factory yesterday, all 14 of them.
I have three hunting knives as well, # 4 survival, #100 Large Skinner, #380S folder.
I had one of the featherweight folders but unfortunately lost it.
Winter sale is on now with selected items 20% off online.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
When I was in the military and visited American bases I would buy buck Knifes. Got a collection of them. I have bought the new buck knifes that go on sale time to time here at CT but I can tell you they are not the buck of old. Twice now doing up blinds I stuck my new buck in a tree only to have the end stay there. Just not the same quality as years gone by. Bought the Groman knifes from down Pictou way but found them to bulky, thick bladed, of course I got them from the blem pile, maybe that was why? I still fall back on my old USA bucks, can't beat them, they hold an edge for ever. Got a couple that have been used quite a few times dressing deer. Still good as new. From time to time I see the old ones at flea markets, and grab them up.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Here are my field knives .The folding knife with Buck in red is my favourite and has field dressed several moose in preparation for the saw.
Wood Everyday carry Font Auto part Tints and shades

I also like this brand of knife.
Tool Wood Knife Hunting knife Utility knife

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have a couple of Cold Steel, several Shrade Old Timers, and a Buck. The pocket knife is a Kershaw Leek.
Love those Shrade old timers , first one I bought I was 14 , 40 yrs later its still in service as skinning knife for fur . Rounded off the point so not poke thru , but gets the job done and holds excellent edge .
Have few older Buck knives , a outdoor edge with gut hook , one my favs is a Rapalla gutting blade , stays sharp and can take good amount of abuse without chipping or loos the edge .

·
Registered
590 Posts
Someone mentioned Morakniv as an option. I've read good things about them so you might consider one of those. Cabella's carries them at reasonable prices.
I'm watching for their Companion Spark model to go on sale at Cabellas again.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Someone mentioned Morakniv as an option. I've read good things about them so you might consider one of those. Cabella's carries them at reasonable prices.
I'm watching for their Companion Spark model to go on sale at Cabellas again.
Yep pretty good knife! Just have the one tho.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Knives knives and more knives I have tons!
My first for hunting was a russel belt knive, gift from my parents when I was 12,which of course now is Groman. Still got it as well as half dozen other groman hunting knives. Bought my wife some grohman kitchen knives and she loves them. Highly recommend them. I have a bunch of buck knives and half dozen browning knives, plus a few browning collector knives ( special editions). Plus various other brands.
Pocket knives well likely have close to a hundred,including many old timers but the best pocket knive (to me ) would be my uncle Henry; also by shared. Lifetime warranty; they will replace it even if you loose it!!! But my favourite is the one below which was my grandfathers
Made in Sheffield England by a company called William Rodgers. Mom bought it for her father in the 50’s and it still going strong, it’s skinned and cut up more deer then I can count. I don’t carry it in the woods anymore cause I’m scared I might loose it but still use it for skinning and cutting, holds an edge better then most knives!
Wood Tool Hand tool Knife Everyday carry
Wood Tool Hand tool Knife Everyday carry

·
Registered
832 Posts
I liked Russel/Grohm and Buick then i started makin my own and now i like that more than anything especially the damascus ones alot of work about 15/20 hours but from start to finish.I'M still try to figure out a signature style and drop point hunter skinner style is starten to grow on me.I also do my own leather work and hand tooling on sheaths nothing to brag about but they do the trick...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I liked Russel/Grohm and Buick then i started makin my own and now i like that more than anything especially the damascus ones alot of work about 15/20 hours but from start to finish.I'M still try to figure out a signature style and drop point hunter skinner style is starten to grow on me.I also do my own leather work and hand tooling on sheaths nothing to brag about but they do the trick...
I made a fixed blade knife once. Basically a heavy bushcraft style. Turned out OK but nothing special. Be neat to have a furnace/ forge.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have a few grohmann knifes in my arsenal, retired a buck knife which always was razor sharp and I have my grandfather's old hunting knife. Various pocket knives as well and now that I am thinking about it one of my uncle's buck knives.

When I am hunting I always like to keep 2 hunting knives on me, I find it super easy to dull one cutting through hide and I am not one to want to sharpen in the field, also I find having different profile knives and being able to switch up makes things easier when field dressing. Additionally I also like to carry just a small fixed blade edc knife as well, so many times you need to cut an apple bag open, cut some string pry at something you name it and you don't want to dull up a good skinning knife. Have I done it all just with a single knife before? yeah, but it's not my preferred method now and I like to be prepared.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you're still looking and undecided, you might want to check out Cabella's/Bass Pro's website. Today only they have a couple Buck knives on sale. One is the Model 119 for $70, the other model name (which would be my choice) I don't recall is $110.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm an avid knife collector and can tell you "you get what you pay for" ESPECIALLY when it comes to knives, that being said not all inexpensive knives are cheap. If you want a good knife thats sharp, easy to take care of and will take a beating and keep coming back for more in the under 50$ range any MORA knives will be perfect. Check out workwearcanada.com they have some for 22$. In the 50-100$ range I would check out the grohmann skinner or the trout bird in the clearance section right now they are amazing knives for the money made in pictou Nova Scotia. They have a lifetime warranty and if you would like you can even send it back to them for sharpening. I won't get too much into detail about stainless steel vs carbon steel as well as the many grades 440c, s30v, vg10, etc. But I will say that paying 50$ and up for a cheap gerber or buck(not that they're horrible) might be the decision you make but have a look around because if you want your son to get many years of use out of his knife spend the extra 35-50$ and get him something he can depend on and cherish for a lifetime. warriorsandwonders.com is the best knife site in canada, great service, super fast delivery and has tons of options custom edc knives.
I have always used the pocket knives my dad passed to me and have never felt compelled to collect them. Just another rabbit hole to fall down losing money as I pickup speed. That said, my kids have wanted to get me a Christmas for years and Case XX has a simple green canoe with some blade engraving. Nothing fancy. Low dollars in the 60'ish range. Any Case knife users out there that can tell me about their quality? My dad's/my knives are old 50s-70s Schrades/Bucks/Bokers. Any advice? Also, my preferred knife shape is a canoe....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a fan of buying the least expensive that does the job. I'm a fan of 440 stainless, even various 400 series stainless, for pocket knives. The harder steels are nice and all, until you need to sharpen them. I have a course stone I inherited that I use on a Dollarama pocket knife. Had the knife a couple years. About once a month I sharpen it if the edge has dulled from cutting up cardboard, etc. Still gets shaving sharp.
My main hunting knife is a 30 year old Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) in Carbon-V steel I bought as a 2nd. Wish it was stainless but it's a workhorse.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have used a pocket knife with a 440 stainless blade for years. About 4 years ago, I bought an "Outdoor Edge" folding knife with replaceable blades. Scalpel sharp and when they lose their edge, pop another one in. I take the old blade and run it over a steel and razor sharp again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm a fan of buying the least expensive that does the job. I'm a fan of 440 stainless, even various 400 series stainless, for pocket knives. The harder steels are nice and all, until you need to sharpen them. I have a course stone I inherited that I use on a Dollarama pocket knife. Had the knife a couple years. About once a month I sharpen it if the edge has dulled from cutting up cardboard, etc. Still gets shaving sharp.
My main hunting knife is a 30 year old Cold Steel SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) in Carbon-V steel I bought as a 2nd. Wish it was stainless but it's a workhorse.
Yes. Less expensive is probably the better way to go. I have a couple nice knives that I use regularly. But am very careful! About 15 years ago I lost a nice hand made knife I had had for years. Doesn't often happen, but it can.
I'm more concerned with how a knife feels in my hand than how expensive it is now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes. Less expensive is probably the better way to go. I have a couple nice knives that I use regularly. But am very careful! About 15 years ago I lost a nice hand made knife I had had for years. Doesn't often happen, but it can.
I'm more concerned with how a knife feels in my hand than how expensive it is now.
I have a couple Dollarama knives in my storage for eventual replacements too. Never know when they will get hard to find.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts