Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
My son's b'day is coming up in a couple of weeks and he wants a new hunting knife. My thought is to get him a good one and it will last forever(unless he loses it). I was looking at the Grohman knives and so far I like them the best. However $100 is a lot to spend on a knife. Just wondering what others opinions are regarding this topic. I know Walmart sells winchester knives for arond $30 that look good as well as some others that seemed to be decent knives. What other knives are out there that I should be looking at?
Is 100 a lot for a knife that will do him a life time.
To each their own but I am one that believes in buying quality when owning knives and one cannot go wrong with a Grohman. I have also had good luck with the old buck products but have not bought one in like 30 years so no idea what they are like now since they opened a plant in china in 2000 and some say some models are now stamped made in usa and others china
Maybe spoiled since I made my living with knives when a young boy in a meat room for 7 years at the old coop and nothing IMO more frustrating than a knife that won't hold an edge and dangerous also IMHO
Check Grohman also for their seconds which are usually 1/2 price which is what I have done also and they are just as good
Just one man's 2 cents

·
Registered
832 Posts
Out of all the knives that are factory made most are stamped out of sheet steel/stainless the newer grohman as well and i dont find they hold an edge long buck are stamped out as well i think.I fixed a guys bush machete from the camilus knife maker in the states, garbage .I got and old cdn army machete hear you can't kill an hold an edge for ever.Do your research before you spend your cash

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Out of all the knives that are factory made most are stamped out of sheet steel/stainless the newer grohman as well and i dont find they hold an edge long buck are stamped out as well i think.I fixed a guys bush machete from the camilus knife maker in the states, garbage .I got and old cdn army machete hear you can't kill an hold an edge for ever.Do your research before you spend your cash
what isn't stamped today??? in knives for 100 bucks. I don't know of any
Current grohman
STEEL MATERIALS

Grohmann takes pride in their products and that means using high quality materials. Grohmann's most popular stainless steel in the outdoor fixed blade knives are fashioned from German high carbon stainless, such as 4110, which is somewhat comparable to the USA 440 series. We maintain a 56-58 degree rockwell hardness on all outdoor knives. This steel has withstood the test of time due to its ease of resharpening and long lasting edge holding ability.

The other choice for the fixed outdoor blades is a German carbon steel which is made from a C70-type european carbon steel for the carbon-lovers out there. As any quality steel goes, stainless or carbon, all knives should be kept cleaned and oiled to prevent rusting, but especially in the carbon steel knives. They tend to hold an edge longer and sharpen up faster than the stainless, but they will corrode if not kept cleaned and oiled at all times when not in use. When carbon knives leave the Grohmann factory, the blades are oiled with non-toxic mineral oil and wrapped in wax paper to preserve the blades. Carbon will corrode if not kept cleaned and oiled, this is the nature of the beast, so be sure to wash your knives after use, dry and apply a light oil. Even stain "less" knives can corrode if not kept cleaned and oiled as there is a high content of carbon in them as well. Knives left to rust/corrode are not be covered under warranty, but can usually be mailed in and refinished for a fee and return shipping/applicable tax. (for more information, click on the Warranty section or Lifetime Limited Warranty sheet that arrived with your first quality knife purchase).

Pocket & Lockblades: Other european steels somewhat comparable to AUS6 are used in the pocket and lock knives. Rockwell hardness 56-58 degrees is maintained throughout all of the Outdoor knives.

Buck Now uses

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I have a couple Dollarama knives in my storage for eventual replacements too. Never know when they will get hard to find.
Well you sure have me confused. As a dude who says they understand science you sure have missed metallurgy the science of metals and engineering buying dollarama knives
And yes I am not qualified to discuss covid vaccines but metallurgy is old hat with over 24 years in an eng dept doing a lot of failure analysis and have to say this is a first for me for a hunting knife from dollarama being used by anyone I know. I am sure they are flying off the shelves :)
Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well you sure have me confused. As a dude who says they understand science you sure have missed metallurgy the science of metals and engineering buying dollarama knives
And yes I am not qualified to discuss covid vaccines but metallurgy is old hat with over 24 years in an eng dept doing a lot of failure analysis and have to say this is a first for me for a hunting knife from dollarama being used by anyone I know. I am sure they are flying off the shelves :)
Cheers
Have you looked at the knife?
A 440 stainless blade held between two aluminum scales with torx screws. One scale has the linear lock. Blade has a thumb stud as well. It's not fancy but it does the job as well or better than 30 dollar knives elsewhere.
I've used many many knives over the years. I hate the harder steels. They dull a little slower but are a pain to resharpen and I have snapped too many tips off. Yes, I know, learn to use a knife correctly. So, I buy a knife that does the job I need it to do. Arthur about metallurgy all you want, the knife does the job i need it to do without costing an arm and a leg. After all, isn't that the true measure of effectiveness?

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Have you looked at the knife?
A 440 stainless blade held between two aluminum scales with torx screws. One scale has the linear lock. Blade has a thumb stud as well. It's not fancy but it does the job as well or better than 30 dollar knives elsewhere.
I've used many many knives over the years. I hate the harder steels. They dull a little slower but are a pain to resharpen and I have snapped too many tips off. Yes, I know, learn to use a knife correctly. So, I buy a knife that does the job I need it to do. Arthur about metallurgy all you want, the knife does the job i need it to do without costing an arm and a leg. After all, isn't that the true measure of effectiveness?
Dude to each their own. I would not buy a can opener from the dollar store, 440 stainless?? from china ?? where they use 420 mostly a general use cutlery grade stainless steel and how do you know that it is 440 was the metal tested Just found it funny for someone that preached to me here about knowing science would forget it totally when buying their knife
Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dude to each their own. I would not buy a can opener from the dollar store, 440 stainless?? from china ?? where they use 420 mostly a general use cutlery grade stainless steel and how do you know that it is 440 was the metal tested Just found it funny for someone that preached to me here about knowing science would forget it totally when buying their knife
Cheers
Well, maybe it's 420. My point still stands. It does the job I need it to do.
Some things at Dollarama are crap. You pay $4 for $0.08 of plastic and it breaks, but, if you know what you're looking at, you can find deals. I bought a hurricane lantern for $4 there that still works great. Have a couple of those in storage as well.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Well, maybe it's 420. My point still stands. It does the job I need it to do.
Some things at Dollarama are crap. You pay $4 for $0.08 of plastic and it breaks, but, if you know what you're looking at, you can find deals. I bought a hurricane lantern for $4 there that still works great. Have a couple of those in storage as well.
And in the end that is all that is important to you but honestly not something one would recommend IMHO to someone wanting to buy a quality hunting knife.
I am starting to see maybe "cheap" showing here with you :p $4 lanterns ?? Give me my old colemans :)
Sorry I forget it is 2022 and frugal is the right word now :)
Ah it is early and I am just poking at you. Like I said to each their own

have to run to make the girls their bacon and eggs today with the costco bacon which as those who buy it know the best and a real treat in this house and goes quickly
Take care

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I like folding knives. I have two buck folding knives. The cheaper one I keep in my pocket for every day use. The higher quality one is saved for field dressing. If you go back and check out my post with a pic of my knives it is the black handled buck folding knife with the red label on the handle. I keep this knife in my hunting jacket as my first to go to field dressing knife for moose. I would often rave about what a great little knife it was but my hunting buddies had their own favourites. One day one of my hunting buddies buddy ran into his neighbour who just happened to be a conservative officer in NW On. and they started talking knives. The neighbour pulled out a folding knife and said “the best knife I have ever owned.” It was exactly like mine in the pic. So, I guess it all depends on how you intend to use the knife. I have an every day knife, an around the camp site/ camp kitchen knife, a survival knife that is always in my daypack and of course field dressing, skinning and deboning knives.
If you find a knife that works for the job intended and it keeps a good edge and fits well in the palm of your hand ,well I figure you have found a favourite.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I got two Grohman's knives one is an old army jump knife holds the edge forever and a new trout and bird one it don't hold the edge near as good as the old one.I also got an old c5 army pocket knife probally made in the 50's its like a scapel..Give me an old buck or grohman any day over the new stuff..

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
I got two Grohman's knives one is an old army jump knife holds the edge forever and a new trout and bird one it don't hold the edge near as good as the old one.I also got an old c5 army pocket knife probally made in the 50's its like a scapel..Give me an old buck or grohman any day over the new stuff..
Agree 100%

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Looks like you made another friend, Joe. Knives are like rifle scopes. You can spend a ton of money on both. What ever works for you. I can't justify $2000 for optics when a $300 scope will do just fine ( for the average hunter). Knives are the same. A dollar store knive will field dress a deer just as well as a $200 knife. I do like Grohmans. ... the forged ones.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Looks like you made another friend, Joe. Knives are like rifle scopes. You can spend a ton of money on both. What ever works for you. I can't justify $2000 for optics when a $300 scope will do just fine ( for the average hunter). Knives are the same. A dollar store knive will field dress a deer just as well as a $200 knife. I do like Grohmans. ... the forged ones.
Well having cut meat for 7 years to pay the bills not to mention how many deer/ moose we did after hours I like my fingers and will always buy the best knife I can afford to the highest quality in my price range
Must be why I am still using every year a 37 year old snowblower a 57 year old mower and a 43 year old tiller and driving a 54 year old car:rolleyes: all of whioch were very expensive when first bought
1800 for a honda snowblower in 1985 when a craftsman was 299 HUMM
Wonder who can say the same since most now are forced to live sadly n the disposable world but is buying cheap a good overall investment NOT to this bean counter want to be :)
Like I said to each their own and you get what you pay for in most cases if you do your homework
Not here to make friends:p:p or need any or support dollar store items for others that don't already use them
Just an old school fool as the mrs says
Plus with Justin as my friend why would I need more :D:D
Take care

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a kitchen dicing/chopping knife that cost me a 1000.00 dollars. You see ,I had to spend that much money at Sobeys a while back in order to earn enough points to get that baby. Yes , it gets a lot of use but I often ask myself “ What were you thinking?”

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a kitchen dicing/chopping knife that cost me a 1000.00 dollars. You see ,I had to spend that much money at Sobeys a while back in order to earn enough points to get that baby. Yes , it gets a lot of use but I often ask myself “ What were you thinking?”
Must be some knife for a 1000 jes i wouldn't charge ya that for a custom built damascus blade...

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Must be some knife for a 1000 jes i wouldn't charge ya that for a custom built damascus blade...
I am guessing it is one of those jamie Oliver 's they had on promotion at one time
My girls fought tooth and nail to try to get them all and there must be 4 or 5 of them never out of the package on the shelf in the basement now :(. I think there is one type in the drawer they use all the time
Cheers

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes, the Jamie Oliver kitchen knives. We had knives very similar to most of the set but the heavy “chopper” so I just needed to complete my kitchen set and get that knife.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am guessing it is one of those jamie Oliver 's they had on promotion at one time
My girls fought tooth and nail to try to get them all and there must be 4 or 5 of them never out of the package on the shelf in the basement now :(. I think there is one type in the drawer they use all the time
Cheers
Yes we only had enough points for one item so got the kitchen scissors. They are great I have to say.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts