Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Advice On Hunting Knives

8K views 132 replies 31 participants last post by  TonyM 
#1 ·
My son's b'day is coming up in a couple of weeks and he wants a new hunting knife. My thought is to get him a good one and it will last forever(unless he loses it). I was looking at the Grohman knives and so far I like them the best. However $100 is a lot to spend on a knife. Just wondering what others opinions are regarding this topic. I know Walmart sells winchester knives for arond $30 that look good as well as some others that seemed to be decent knives. What other knives are out there that I should be looking at?

#2 ·
One of the best hunting knives i've ever had my hands on is the Buck knives Alaskan Guide from Cabelas,get the one with the rubber handle.Guaranteed for life with a no hassle no question warranty,the steel is the best ever put into a hunting knife,and it has a coated blade that keeps it from rusting if you don't have time to clean /dry it after use.They stay sharp a very long time !

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1196&section2=1382&section3=1561&ID=850

#4 ·
Depends what he wants to do. The typical heavy duty knives are good for a lot of people - you can field dress with them and they dont mind abuse. Plus a lot of folks only field dress roughly and let their butcher skin/clean for them.

I personally like a 5" rounded knife for skinning, a 8" skinny straight knife for jointing and a 10" knife that looks cool so the rambo friends that one inevitably will find leave the good knives alone.

Ed has some nice sharp/durable hunting knives that would fit most peoples uses. I would be tempted to start there.

#5 ·
My dad gave me a Buck 110 folding knife for my birthday when I was starting out. He had the brass plate on it engraved. it says David from Dad 1987. This is the 25th year I've carried that knife in the woods and every time I look at that inscription it makes me feel proud. Whatever you get him make sure you personalize it....

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm an avid knife collector and can tell you "you get what you pay for" ESPECIALLY when it comes to knives, that being said not all inexpensive knives are cheap. If you want a good knife thats sharp, easy to take care of and will take a beating and keep coming back for more in the under 50$ range any MORA knives will be perfect. Check out workwearcanada.com they have some for 22$. In the 50-100$ range I would check out the grohmann skinner or the trout bird in the clearance section right now they are amazing knives for the money made in pictou Nova Scotia. They have a lifetime warranty and if you would like you can even send it back to them for sharpening. I won't get too much into detail about stainless steel vs carbon steel as well as the many grades 440c, s30v, vg10, etc. But I will say that paying 50$ and up for a cheap gerber or buck(not that they're horrible) might be the decision you make but have a look around because if you want your son to get many years of use out of his knife spend the extra 35-50$ and get him something he can depend on and cherish for a lifetime. warriorsandwonders.com is the best knife site in canada, great service, super fast delivery and has tons of options.

#34 · (Edited)
I'm an avid knife collector and can tell you "you get what you pay for" ESPECIALLY when it comes to knives, that being said not all inexpensive knives are cheap. If you want a good knife thats sharp, easy to take care of and will take a beating and keep coming back for more in the under 50$ range any MORA knives will be perfect. Check out workwearcanada.com they have some for 22$. In the 50-100$ range I would check out the grohmann skinner or the trout bird in the clearance section right now they are amazing knives for the money made in pictou Nova Scotia. They have a lifetime warranty and if you would like you can even send it back to them for sharpening. I won't get too much into detail about stainless steel vs carbon steel as well as the many grades 440c, s30v, vg10, etc. But I will say that paying 50$ and up for a cheap gerber or buck(not that they're horrible) might be the decision you make but have a look around because if you want your son to get many years of use out of his knife spend the extra 35-50$ and get him something he can depend on and cherish for a lifetime. warriorsandwonders.com is the best knife site in canada, great service, super fast delivery and has tons of options custom edc knives.
I have always used the pocket knives my dad passed to me and have never felt compelled to collect them. Just another rabbit hole to fall down losing money as I pickup speed. That said, my kids have wanted to get me a Christmas for years and Case XX has a simple green canoe with some blade engraving. Nothing fancy. Low dollars in the 60'ish range. Any Case knife users out there that can tell me about their quality? My dad's/my knives are old 50s-70s Schrades/Bucks/Bokers. Any advice? Also, my preferred knife shape is a canoe....

#11 ·
As for one and only one knife...........well thats impossible
for me at least, I wish could afford several more, and more and more.

I can tell you that for skinning my absolute favorite knife is the Grohmann Mini Skinner
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r104s.html

But there are lots of great ideas on this thread.

#13 ·
GROHMANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely best knife I have ever owned. I love it.

Obviously not meant for hacking at stuff in any rough manner, but man are they sharp and so nice to use.

The factory in Pictou will even resharpen (re-edge) your knife years down the road if need be.

Well worth the money I think.

#16 ·
I'd recommend you get him a Grohman knife. Made in NS. Great quality. Very functional. They aren't cheap to buy but then nothing worth having is really. As someone above noted they often have seconds on sale that frankly look better than most other knives on the market!

#17 ·
I carry a Puma Hunter's Companion when hunting. Its seen a lot if use but is still a beautiful and functional knife. I always also carry a cheap folder as a backup.
I have 2 nice Grohman knives but have only ever carried one in the field. The other is only 3 years old and still virgin.

#19 ·
a ton of selection out there - for a pocket knife Ive had great service with Victorinox. SOG & Outdoor Edge are tough too.

Grohman (Pictou, NS) has great stuff especially if youre going a straight blade/sheath knife - seconds are available, at times, and its only cosmetic stuff that makes them seconds.

pocket sharpener - take a look at Lansky or Work Sharp. Just a simple ceramic rod works good too for pocket size.

#20 ·
I think Grohman Knives are good quality knives. I have LOTS of them. Everything from parring knives, bread knives, steak knives and a couple hunting knives. As far as hunting knives go and what I carry in the woods … Outdoor Edge with replaceable blades. Always razor sharp. If you lose an edge … put in another blade.

#21 ·
I use my pocket knive pretty well every single day !!!!
I have several Buck knives for all my hunting needs, Have had them since the 70's. Keep a great edge, tough (not quite Kevin tough mind you..lol)..I busted the blade off of my 119 pounding thru a moose pelvis bone back in then 80's. Took a pic of it (actual film print !!) and sent it, along with my knife off to Buck.USA. They replaced and even sent me a knew sheath ! Thanked me for using their products. Same with dads old lock blade...replaced it NQA !!
Still have my old german steel knife (solingen steel)...amazing knife !!

I've carried a knife all my life so far...my uncle gave me a folding Nor-Mark back in 72/73...had it for 10 yrs...think I broke it trying to pry an engine out of the bedding blocks in the boat...lmao. I screwed it to a beam in my wharf (was his wharf and his grand fathers before him) to remind me of him when I was working on gear. You can see my knife sheath on my side in my wedding photos...sticking out under my vest.
I carry a swiss army camper edition in my pocket EVERY DAY ! No matter where I go. I'm on my second blade..first one got sharpened away ! This one has less than half left.

Dad always said..." you can gauge a man by how sharp his pocket knife is !" I keep mine sharp...all the time !

#22 ·
An old thread but a good one, Grohmann for me all the way.
Just had the kitchen knives sharpened at the factory yesterday, all 14 of them.
I have three hunting knives as well, # 4 survival, #100 Large Skinner, #380S folder.
I had one of the featherweight folders but unfortunately lost it.
Winter sale is on now with selected items 20% off online.

#23 ·
When I was in the military and visited American bases I would buy buck Knifes. Got a collection of them. I have bought the new buck knifes that go on sale time to time here at CT but I can tell you they are not the buck of old. Twice now doing up blinds I stuck my new buck in a tree only to have the end stay there. Just not the same quality as years gone by. Bought the Groman knifes from down Pictou way but found them to bulky, thick bladed, of course I got them from the blem pile, maybe that was why? I still fall back on my old USA bucks, can't beat them, they hold an edge for ever. Got a couple that have been used quite a few times dressing deer. Still good as new. From time to time I see the old ones at flea markets, and grab them up.

#26 ·
Love those Shrade old timers , first one I bought I was 14 , 40 yrs later its still in service as skinning knife for fur . Rounded off the point so not poke thru , but gets the job done and holds excellent edge .
Have few older Buck knives , a outdoor edge with gut hook , one my favs is a Rapalla gutting blade , stays sharp and can take good amount of abuse without chipping or loos the edge .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.