Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would give a little update on our 10 month old chessie. My fiancé and I have been working daily with her with the exception of our travel to NS and even at that there was some running and fun training time. When we first got her we contemplated a retrieving club to train her but with the pandemic and the clubs being in excess of 6 hours we decided to put a lot of hours in. My fiancé has done phenomenal with her around basic commands in addition to the exercise and extra time with her when I got home has proved to be working. We are by no means professionals but it makes me wonder what a professional trainer could do with her!
She is intense and loves to please. She knows her basic commands orally and by sign. She will retrieve bumpers all day and loves retrieving the dummy duck in the water. She has recently been introduced to salt water and she is a beast lol. We have also gradually introduced her to gun fire and she is not gun shy. My 12 gauge blasting doesn’t fizz her, she is ready to go at the sound.
Here is a pic of when we got her at 8 weeks and her now at 10 months. She is a wonderful addition to our family, very loving and eager to please.

My fiancé has been exploring with tiltok and has made several short videos of her training sessions and other cute things that she does lol. The first pic is the address of the site but I have no idea where to go to get there lol…not up to par with tiktok lol.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Great looking dog
Keep it fun and youll do well. Youre being trained as well so pay attention

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Thanks on the update , I truly miss my chocolate Lab who passed at age 6 due to cancer , was great retriever and flusher in the field from woodcock to grouse to ducks , mostly waterfowl . Once you hunt with a K9 it stays with you no matter what .

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
AWESOME !! Thank you for posting the UD's

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting excited now lol.
Waterfowl opens tomorrow for us, as well as deer and bear, but unfortunately I am tied up in meetings most of this week. Excited for the weekend! Lot’s of birds around! Been playing with a few frozen partridge and she loves it. Can’t wait to see her bring in her first bird! Will definitely have the camera in hand!

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Best of luck with it 06...oh...btw, don't forget to use your gun...lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks
Wouldn't have the breeders contact info by any chance would you?
I will look for the number. Not sure about how often they have litters but I know it was a second litter as I was shown pics of the previous litter. They are not CKC registered but was told the parents are pure-breads that come from hunting lines. I can’t validate any of it, simply word of mouth with a good reputation. The mother is strictly a waterfowl dog and the father is a beaver retriever and used for gas leak detection as odd as they may sound lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today was Willows first day of waterfowling, for 11 months she did amazing. I decided to check out a few of the sloughs that usually held ducks last year. Sure enough we pulled up and as we sneaked in I could see at least a dozen ducks:)
I had her stay about 15 feet behind me but she could sure see the ducks in front of her. I raised my shot gun and let 2 shots go, 2 gadwalls floating. I signalled her to go and she went jumping in. Man was I happy when she grabbed the first one, she brought it right to my hand. I wasn’t quite sure if she was gonna go for the second one but I had my dinghy in case lol. I praised her and pointed to the the second and off she went for number two bringing it to my hand again:)
We then moved up to another water hole I knew had ducks and to my surprise the entire area was flooded, ducks were everywhere lol. But today’s day was about Willow. Looking for one to two ducks at a time not to overwhelm her. Sure enough, I picked up a couple teals, one at a time and Willow was in the water each time, bringing back our quary:)
By mornings end I had 5, not a bad training day😁.
Now I must say number 5 wasn’t as well done lol. We had crept up to a dozen ducks. I picked the biggest Gadwall and boom. Well…. Willow was gone at the shot…surprised as she always waited fir my go ahead. We will be working on that again lol, but best of all was 2 flocks come swooping in as she was swimming back with her bird, and what does she do….. releases the bird and starts swimming for the live ones…. Must have been more pf a challenge. To no surprise, she never got any of those and then swam back to shore with the floating gadwall still in the water. Took a minute to relax and get her back on task. Brought her to the waters edge and pointed to her bird and sure enough off she went and brought it in.

Super exciting day! Can’t wait to get her out again!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I think our Willow has made quite the impression on my wife lol. Last week she was talking about maybe adopting another puppy and sure enough she has found another chesapeake that she would like to adopt. I wasn't sure at first as it is a 14 month CBR that has to be rehomed. Apparently the lady rehoming the puppy has just went through a seperation and has a little child as well. She is unable to provide what the dog needs. The bonus is he is already neuteured, vaccined, house trained and loves water. So we are going to check him out and see what the deal is. If this puppy is anything like our Willow we will have some serious waterfowl dogs lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts