Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still not seeing ammo returning to the shelves what is everyone else seeing?

I am thankful that I have a stash to get me through, but those who think they can get a box or 2 before hunting season are going to be disappointed from what I am seeing.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Canadian Tire in Bridgewater has lots of 308 And 270. Cabela’s in Dartmouth had very minimal amounts on their shelves. If you’re looking for 30-30 … 32 spl … or 410 … you are SOL.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Just did order online and no sooner I order it 2 boxes were sold from the quantity available that I ordered , so had to do substitution grrrrr , 10 gauge in stock is now $70 at Cabelas for Black Cloud , lucky to get it for $50 plus tax . Friggin local shop has same stuff for $85 a box , it will sit there long time . Not paying gouge prices for any ammo just because itsonly local guy with it , Just wanted to replenish some used up stock with enough to get me thru next 3 seasons easily .

.243 is scarce down here , can find all kinds of Remington core loc , but no thanks when can get Hornady for same price when available .

Taking trip to Young Guns Friday , my son picking up a new Browning Semi 12 so be doing stock up as trip goes along .

· Registered
961 Posts
Just did order online and no sooner I order it 2 boxes were sold from the quantity available that I ordered , so had to do substitution grrrrr , 10 gauge in stock is now $70 at Cabelas for Black Cloud , lucky to get it for $50 plus tax . Friggin local shop has same stuff for $85 a box , it will sit there long time . Not paying gouge prices for any ammo just because itsonly local guy with it , Just wanted to replenish some used up stock with enough to get me thru next 3 seasons easily .

.243 is scarce down here , can find all kinds of Remington core loc , but no thanks when can get Hornady for same price when available .

Taking trip to Young Guns Friday , my son picking up a new Browning Semi 12 so be doing stock up as trip goes along .
Black cloud aint worth that much ever i'm glad i reload its just steel thats a crazy price man..

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Black cloud aint worth that much ever i'm glad i reload its just steel thats a crazy price man..
Agree 100%. Tried it when it first came out on paper and could toss a cat through the holes vs others with my guns and chokes I had . Real dirty ammo in my golds and caused quite a few factory choke tube fitted barrels to bulge initially from that flight control wad design when first out no idea if still a problem today or not since now they have special tubes for it assuming one uses them . One example below
To each their own on that ammo if it works in other guns/chokes fill your boots but mine sure didnot like it
Regardless IMHO nothing made factory like RSI high speed reloads as you know but not with those crappy BP wads:p:p you use :)
Today's factory ammo is Why most 10ga owners reload :)

BLACK CLOUD constriction tubes: As stated above, Patternmaster does not recommend ammunition with flight control wads to be used with our "Classic" and most CODE BLACK tubes due to the wad design. Flight control wads have plastic pedals that open and causes the wad to separate from the ammunition in flight. These pedals are a concern for Patternmaster due to the protruding studs inside most of our tubes. With that said, Patternmaster and Federal Ammunition worked closely together to create a tube to effectively master the Black Cloud ammunition. BLACK CLOUD tubes are available in 20ga, 12ga, 10ga FULL, MODIFIED, and IMPROVED CYLINDER constrictions. Patternmaster BLACK CLOUD tubes are made from the finest 17-4 Stainless Steel and are Heat Treated for maximum durability. Disclaimer for BLACK CLOUD tubes: Warranty will not be honored if using Slug ammunition.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Not a whole lot of options for factory stuff , Keep all my hulls from my 12 & 10 s even 12 steel now has gone crazy in price . Some guys don't like Challenger Ammo but its better than some of the higher priced stuff and not as dirty when cleaning time comes .

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Not a whole lot of options for factory stuff , Keep all my hulls from my 12 & 10 s even 12 steel now has gone crazy in price . Some guys don't like Challenger Ammo but its better than some of the higher priced stuff and not as dirty when cleaning time comes .
Agree 100%. Time to start reloading steel Walter especially for 10ga
Cheers

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Just to note as well Black Cloud has newer wad design , works great with Kicks Chokes and my Wad Wizzard chokes , as stated testing is everything for your set up .

I remember when Kent had same issues with original steel production loads , was horrible in my 11-87 Premiere , could not pattern or cycle properly , flush or extended chokes , that gun is long gone and so is the Ammo and never try even the new 2.0 stuff either .

Even Federal standard Blue Box stuff is dirty , I can pull out a box of older Federal 12_Steel and my gun not be as dirty as running a box of newer federal steel .

Here on the Cape we are very limited to access of Ammo , Crappy Tire , Home Hardware on Native reserve ( Very Expensive even cheaper Ammo ) Bras Dor Recreation Marine come to mind , Not sure if the guy in Sydney Mines is still going or has Ammo , our own illustrious Nick of Paradise out Mira way if he even is still going or any actual new stock ?

Not like yrs ago just about every town thru CBRM had gun shop , army /navy supply store or corner store selling it with lots of supply to boot and great selection .

Most times stocking up is trip off the Island , someone local selling off unwanted or order direct to the door .

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to note as well Black Cloud has newer wad design , works great with Kicks Chokes and my Wad Wizzard chokes , as stated testing is everything for your set up .

I remember when Kent had same issues with original steel production loads , was horrible in my 11-87 Premiere , could not pattern or cycle properly , flush or extended chokes , that gun is long gone and so is the Ammo and never try even the new 2.0 stuff either .

Even Federal standard Blue Box stuff is dirty , I can pull out a box of older Federal 12_Steel and my gun not be as dirty as running a box of newer federal steel .

Here on the Cape we are very limited to access of Ammo , Crappy Tire , Home Hardware on Native reserve ( Very Expensive even cheaper Ammo ) Bras Dor Recreation Marine come to mind , Not sure if the guy in Sydney Mines is still going or has Ammo , our own illustrious Nick of Paradise out Mira way if he even is still going or any actual new stock ?

Not like yrs ago just about every town thru CBRM had gun shop , army /navy supply store or corner store selling it with lots of supply to boot and great selection .

Most times stocking up is trip off the Island , someone local selling off unwanted or order direct to the door .
How is the Home Hardware there?

I have never stopped in.

· Registered
18,887 Posts

Thanks Walter for the update. I am not up to speed on it today
Don't go without 10ga ammo this season if you run out
I know I have a ton like 40 boxes reloaded but if I look may have some factory also pretty sure I do
I cannot give you the reloads but can the factory and you can just replace them when you can
Know 100% I have a few boxes of factory 12ga 3 1/2 also 5 or 6 if you need them this season
Take care

· Registered
2,973 Posts
There was a 10ga steel mec for sale on one of boards, nutz i think. Crazy expensive imo but if itll save you down the road...

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Soooooo glad I roll my own ammo !!
Got my start in the late 70's and have never looked back !
I'll grab my "specific" components when ever the chance arises, regardless if I have some already. Sooner or later it'll dry up and I ain't about to let that happen to me.

· Registered
961 Posts
Just my opinion on chokes i've had eveyone made for my 10ga from wad wizard to .720 terror none of them out perform the full fac browning steel i paper tested and hunted them all i drop more birds with the fac full.The wad wizard looked great on paper but it didn't like high speed reloads that were tested thru my chrony avg 1 1/2 ounce doin 1580 bb and i hated that big bulge on the end of my barrel. The terror was all over the place with holes the brilies were the same as the fac full. I tal;ked to browning about the choke and he said as far as steel goes from #1 to fshot is safe and i put every thing down the barrel as far as shot went.My gun loves bb steel this year i'm goin with 1 5/8 oz bb doin 1420 fps i run rsi wads and bp as well in my experience the base of the rsi wad blows out more than the bp wads. Both are goin thru the chrony around the same speed and the bp wads throw a better pattern.So there Joe thats my opinion on rsi vs bp wads i use them both and for coyote i found that 2 oz lead herco recipe.
Walter absolutely nothin wrong with challenger shells i used tons of them on ducks in my 12's nowadays its not what you like its what you can get especially were we live..Get into reloading save every hull you can .

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Speaking if reloading- I was at the range a couple weeks ago and picked up more than a dozen each of pretty clean 30-06, 308 and 223 brass. Also three 270WSM and THREE 300 Savage. All appear to me to be once fired as the primer colour matches the case but I don't reload so may be wrong.
I was just trying to do my part cleaning up but then got wondering if any of you guys would like the stuff. Free of course! First one to respond gets pick of the litter.
On the other hand, if no respectable reloader would use brass unknown to them just let me know and I'll recycle the stuff.

I'm in Bedford by the way but even if you're some distance away we can probably make arrangements to meet or transport via someone coming by this way at some point.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Just my opinion on chokes i've had eveyone made for my 10ga from wad wizard to .720 terror none of them out perform the full fac browning steel i paper tested and hunted them all i drop more birds with the fac full.The wad wizard looked great on paper but it didn't like high speed reloads that were tested thru my chrony avg 1 1/2 ounce doin 1580 bb and i hated that big bulge on the end of my barrel. The terror was all over the place with holes the brilies were the same as the fac full. I tal;ked to browning about the choke and he said as far as steel goes from #1 to fshot is safe and i put every thing down the barrel as far as shot went.My gun loves bb steel this year i'm goin with 1 5/8 oz bb doin 1420 fps i run rsi wads and bp as well in my experience the base of the rsi wad blows out more than the bp wads. Both are goin thru the chrony around the same speed and the bp wads throw a better pattern.So there Joe thats my opinion on rsi vs bp wads i use them both and for coyote i found that 2 oz lead herco recipe.
Walter absolutely nothin wrong with challenger shells i used tons of them on ducks in my 12's nowadays its not what you like its what you can get especially were we live..Get into reloading save every hull you can .
I only tease you on the wads :) I use sam1 wads because I can split them as I like to tweak patterns and never changed
I would bet very few here bought more 10ga tubes than I did over the years to try other than Lurch trying to get steel to kill after lead was banned and I even bought his in the end in fact I think you picked some of them up for me from him
Here is one for you wizzard , kicks etc etc like you I tried most and the best choke for high speed steel reloads in my 10ga golds is not the full but a simple factory briley improved modified and that is BB to TT I used
Many are still buried here and no not for sale and I bet I can add at least and another 1/2 that pile from drawers and cases and showed this pic before
I was choke tube junkie and choke tube poor in the end and could have just stayed with a factory briley :(
Cheers

1 - 20 of 212 Posts