Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

· Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Most have cut back their shooting due to costs of ammo and supplies to reload when they can find it from reading posts from other parts of canada and hunting this year it seems here gas alone has killed a lot of it this year. Many hunting close to home and not even going to their normal spots. Like one guy said 120 bucks a trip Joe just for gas I cannot do that like I normally would twice week
I am only shooting what I have more than enough ammo for. I am so glad I stacked deep when I could. I think many saw this coming and others had their head in the sand.

Some of the average hunters are so out of the loop they are shocked when they couldn't just get some ammo close to hunting season. I am thinking 2023 is shaping up to be even worse.

Agree Joe, lots of people feeling the pinch its expensive to go hunt unless you can hunt close to home.

· Registered
18,888 Posts
I am only shooting what I have more than enough ammo for. I am so glad I stacked deep when I could. I think many saw this coming and others had their head in the sand.

Some of the average hunters are so out of the loop they are shocked when they couldn't just get some ammo close to hunting season. I am thinking 2023 is shaping up to be even worse.

Agree Joe, lots of people feeling the pinch its expensive to go hunt unless you can hunt close to home.
Yes and it must be at least 5 years even here we have been saying this is coming and far from over
I know my two old buds would have been using sticks this year if not for my stash and I am talking what I would class as simple stuff like 20ga ammo and steel 12ga in 3"
The problem is 99% of my stash is not factory but reloads and not giving those away since some prick here would report it IMO Like I told one after flower season you are spending a few days in the basement here with me and going to load some steel for next year that way it is legal since the well is getting dry on factory 3" stuff I have maybe 8 boxes of factory 3 1/2 left but his gun is only 3"
Agree 2023 will be worse If one told me years ago there would be no 303 or 30/30 ammo to buy I would have thought they were crazy but not today
The problem I am seeing is the hunting close to home is putting pressure on those that never left in what they think are spots they owned since they had them to themselves for over 40 years in many cases and now hearing about the bastard that are killing their deer
Not pretty and only going to get worse IMO

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
It's an hour and 45 minutes one way to both my clubs to shoot rifle or pistol !! Same thing forthe 3 clubs I shoot shotgun at.
2 hrs one way to my treestands...9 days we drove up and back..gas was 50 - 60 per day !!
I'm just not smart enuff to hate hunting and shooting! Lol

· Registered
18,888 Posts
It's an hour and 45 minutes one way to both my clubs to shoot rifle or pistol !! Same thing forthe 3 clubs I shoot shotgun at.
2 hrs one way to my treestands...9 days we drove up and back..gas was 50 - 60 per day !!
I'm just not smart enuff to hate hunting and shooting! Lol
Hope you drive a small puddle jumper. In my truck you would be bankrupt

· Registered
961 Posts
Any time ya come across ammo at a half decent price buy it cause next year as of now might be alot more expensive and leaner for ammo and who knows if it will get worse or improve.And its not just hunting getting expensive fishing gear is goin up in price pretty well anything thats leisure as well as gardening i don't know where its goin to end.Lucky for me i do all my hunting within atv distance but fly fishing is another story lol..

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Got a buddy of mine looking to buy a new 6.8 Westerner. I told him to secure the ammo first.
Ross has 1 box...found 1 more in ont and zilch any where else. Been lookin off and on for 3 days now...think I may have scored at a small shop we used to visit in GP. They're showing 20 boxes. He'll find out tomorrow or Friday if it's true.

· Registered
18,888 Posts
Got a buddy of mine looking to buy a new 6.8 Westerner. I told him to secure the ammo first.
Ross has 1 box...found 1 more in ont and zilch any where else. Been lookin off and on for 3 days now...think I may have scored at a small shop we used to visit in GP. They're showing 20 boxes. He'll find out tomorrow or Friday if it's true.
Not many making it
When it was first introduced in 2021, there were two bullet options, the 165-grain Accubond Long Range and the 175-grain Sierra Tipped Game King. Now, there are a few more options, but Winchester and Browning are still the only ones loading it. Factory 6.8 Western factory ammo options include:

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Some where some one on here was looking for 410 ammo a little while back.

The Gun Dealer has LOTS of Challenger # 4 and # 6 in stock !

· Registered
18,888 Posts
He must have got a shipment in since he was cleaned also or found some sitting was not aware the new remington was making ammo for export yet but may be now wonder what it is like vs the original stuff But is it 18 months so may be caught up on all their uS orders and shipping to canada again
Not trying to be negative but if me and the new company made it I would only buy one box or two and try it before I stashed a ton just to make sure it performs like or better than the original

181 - 200 of 212 Posts