Registered
14,256 Posts
WOW took 25 years but a start I guess 75 is a joke however in 111
That won't impact even the town herd :(
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
728 Posts
Its a start...hell, I may even apply for one. As 3macs1 said, I don't think it'll impact the town herd either.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
75 tags won't impact much thru 111 or 112 , For those lucky enough to get one , just means easier season . I'll throw my name in and give guberment extra $10 or so I guess.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Reactions: CBreezey

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Its a start...hell, I may even apply for one. As 3macs1 said, I don't think it'll impact the town herd either.
Had to stop this morning to let a mama and her two twins across the road in glace bay and had another mama and one twin in my yard at day break
Lots of town deer around for sure
IMO the doe tag should not be an extra deer for someone so they can get THREE this year
Cheers

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe the doe tag is not an extra license, it is to be used to harvest an antlerless deer with either the primitive license or the general license. Not both

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I find the 2000 tags idea hard to believe that there is such a need for it. If you look into last years harvest data there were only just over 2000 does killed in the ENTIRE province! And now they say one small zone can have that? Obviously not all will be used but that’s a huge number. There weren’t even that many deer in total harvested in zone 103.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I find the 2000 tags idea hard to believe that there is such a need for it. If you look into last years harvest data there were only just over 2000 does killed in the ENTIRE province! And now they say one small zone can have that? Obviously not all will be used but that’s a huge number. There weren’t even that many deer in total harvested in zone 103.
In my area 105 has almost zero does but its both sexes. 5 klm away on 104 lots of does but its anterless draw. This has been this way for five years or so. I wonder where they get there data from?

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Joe the doe tag is not an extra license, it is to be used to harvest an antlerless deer with either the primitive license or the general license. Not both
Thanks for the clarification the last time I seen/ had one it was but that has to be 30 years ago on the cape :(

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Had to stop this morning to let a mama and her two twins across the road in glace bay and had another mama and one twin in my yard at day break
Lots of town deer around for sure
IMO the doe tag should not be an extra deer for someone so they can get THREE this year
Cheers
Lol Joe. Speaking of town deer, I am doing an 8 week shutdown at Trenton power plant. The place is crawling with them. See several a day on way to work and back to hotel. Never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Urban deer numbers are getting out of control. People lay the blame on loss of habitat. Most … if not all, of these deer are multi-generations born in residential areas. They don’t know how to be “wild” or survive in the wilderness. They eat shrubs during spring, summer, and fall, and people feed them during the winter. Take a drive through the town of Lunenburg. Every backyard has several deer in them. There are not a lot of deer deep in the woods anymore. A 25% success rate should tell DNR all they need to know about herd size. If they want to decrease the deer population … just have a muzzle loader season. Success rate nearly 50% there. I wonder how many of those hunters actually own a muzzle loader ?? :unsure: A lot of muzzy tags are filled during the first week of general season.:p

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Urban deer numbers are getting out of control. People lay the blame on loss of habitat. Most … if not all, of these deer are multi-generations born in residential areas. They don’t know how to be “wild” or survive in the wilderness. They eat shrubs during spring, summer, and fall, and people feed them during the winter. Take a drive through the town of Lunenburg. Every backyard has several deer in them. There are not a lot of deer deep in the woods anymore. A 25% success rate should tell DNR all they need to know about herd size. If they want to decrease the deer population … just have a muzzle loader season. Success rate nearly 50% there. I wonder how many of those hunters actually own a muzzle loader ?? :unsure: A lot of muzzy tags are filled during the first week of general season.:p
I can tell you I carry that muzzle loader from opening day, but in my area things seem not to be moving between the first and third week of November. I can see why muzzle loaders stats would be higher in the month of November. To hot early on, nothing moving, moving in November, then early December everything has been scared off, people have gone home. A lot of folks have muzzle loaders that I know. The little CV wolf went as low as $239.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
TS … I get what you are saying. I am in no way insinuating that the majority of people are doing things illegally. I know people who fill their muzzy tags the first week of general season who don’t own a muzzle loader. I think there are more of “those people” than people realize. As long as the government is selling liceneses, and the hunters are thinning out the herd… they don’t care.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
TS … I get what you are saying. I am in no way insinuating that the majority of people are doing things illegally. I know people who fill their muzzy tags the first week of general season who don’t own a muzzle loader. I think there are more of “those people” than people realize. As long as the government is selling liceneses, and the hunters are thinning out the herd… they don’t care.

I agree with you 100% based on the guys I know that hunt deer
One gets his two deer every year with both a muzzle loader and a rifle and would not even know how to reload the muzzle loader if he had a gun to his head
Goes home and picks up a friends when required
Cheers

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Can someone post the link for this years zone and doe tag allocations? I don't know why I can't seem to find it on the L&F website.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can someone post the link for this years zone and doe tag allocations? I don't know why I can't seem to find it on the L&F website.
Been looking on the DNR website for the past 2 days and couldn't find it either. Found it today on the NSFAH Facebook page.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts