Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bait out at two sites, not a lot of activity yet, probably due to heat and lots of food available. Had a sow with 2 cubs and a couple of what I think are 2 years old, but no large bears so far. Would like to hear how other people are doing. The stream beside one of my sites has all dried up, and the lake that I live on is the lowest since I moved out here after retiring 22 years ago. Hope it rains soon

STC_0021

STC_0042

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
We just rebaited our Spring set up we have up here in N.B lots and lots of sign going thru the area , set up two Cellular Cams to keep watch , time will tell what was in the area back b4 the lock down ruined the spring hunt we planned .

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Been baiting bears for a couple months now.

No shortage of bears . Easy to get 1000 plus pics in a week. No monsters but bears all hours of the day and night.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I have bait out at two sites, not a lot of activity yet, probably due to heat and lots of food available. Had a sow with 2 cubs and a couple of what I think are 2 years old, but no large bears so far. Would like to hear how other people are doing. The stream beside one of my sites has all dried up, and the lake that I live on is the lowest since I moved out here after retiring 22 years ago. Hope it rains soon

STC_0021

STC_0042
0021 is a tall bear no weight on it . but long and skinny.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Just curious. Don't know many baiting bears here but the two I do are complaining this year almost impossible to get their normal sweet treats since so many people have a piglet or two in their back yard now and have dibs on it all

Cheers

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Yes that could be a problem

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
We picked up 160 lbs of Tims left overs thru 5 different locations here in Fredericton yesterday theywere more than happy have it picked up , seems the rat issue along with grey squirrels and raccoons have exploded in population in the City and area due to lots of restraunts having to throw out food not getting purchased , if I was home I'd get all the Damm used oil I want , neighbor has Chinese restraunt , but we did make up a Molasses Bomb with a old propane tank , chained it to the tree upside down for slow drip .

Having to head back to the Cape soon , I'll bring up some oil on next trip , now it's up to the boys to keep the spot going till the fall .

·
Registered
83 Posts
A friend and I started our first bait site early this summer. We weren't sure what to expect as first timers but we are pretty happy with what we've seen so far.

Our first few visitors were a couple mommas, who each had a single cub, and a small juvenile we've named Charlie.

We saw a few bigger bears pass by in the background but not come into the bait. That changed after a couple of weeks and now we are seeing what we think are a couple potential shooters come in fairly often.

Is this guy a shooter?

Dam sure this guy is

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Bears are hard to judge however you can get a decent idea if there is something in the background that you know is x high

As if we Should tell you if they're decent bears, in my house a 100 to 150lb one is good , we can only judge if we would take it.
My recommendation is that for a first bear, both would make excellent table fare and allow you to decide if you want to continue hunting them. The first one is always a trophy!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bears are hard to judge however you can get a decent idea if there is something in the background that you know is x high

As if we Should tell you if they're decent bears, in my house a 100 to 150lb one is good , we can only judge if we would take it.
My recommendation is that for a first bear, both would make excellent table fare and allow you to decide if you want to continue hunting them. The first one is always a trophy!!
Main thing we are trying to judge is boar vs sow, watched and read a bunch on judging them so hopefully it pays off when the time comes.

I would be happy DH11 with either of the bears you mentioned as shooters
Ya hopefully they stick around a few more weeks!!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts

Superslickie ....... They are all trophies

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Bad week not to have a card in the Tcam.

. Bears chewed or clawed off living hemlock 6" tree just above the chain holding the barrel. 8" butt 6" where the chain was. Bait all gone. Both barrels full again.

Seen a deer a couple weeks ago half way in to the site so I dropped carrots and apples there. Small bear on that cam cleaned up . Not abnormally to have lots of bears here though.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'll do my best to harvest 3 bears rifle and 2 in snares. Couple times in 8 years we have done that . With one season Superslickie tagged also so 4 that season.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Size 8 boot as comparison
This bait had 2 bears there almost every minute of the day and night for last 3 days100 lber with a nice chevron . and a 150 lber with a black face
My other bait apple carrot pile had a sow and a cub last night.. Can count on one hand the number of times I seen sows with cubs at any of my sites over the years. Sow was about 150 lbs. Her cub was almost as big as her

1 - 20 of 41 Posts