Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is aimed at those who know more than i do, a friend of mine has a small apple orchard, 16-20 trees, all are loaded with apples this year but im noticing an issue with some fruit. (See picture)

Food Plant Fruit Seedless fruit Pomegranate

The macs are fine, yellow transparent had it, pears are fine, ones pictured (cortland??) Covered, and another unknown variety covered.
This is only on the skin, apples taste great if not a touch sour for eating early. They make a great apple crisp and the deer love the ones i pickup for bait.
My question is whats going on with the apple skin? Will it eventually be in all the trees? Is it treatable? How?

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Looks like a cortland for sure. Apple scab to me should be on the trees leaves also if they didnot fall off. Funny macs are fine unless they are in a different area

Cheers

Not my words. I have sprayed the copper and sulfur stuff however on two trees and never leave apples under the trees in the winter. Does the spraying work not in my opinion but I didnot do it every few weeks either
Treatment
  1. Choose resistant varieties when possible.
  2. Rake under trees and destroy infected leaves to reduce the number of fungal spores available to start the disease cycle over again next spring.
  3. Water in the evening or early morning hours (avoid overhead irrigation) to give the leaves time to dry out before infection can occur.
  4. Spread a 3- to 6-inch layer of compost under trees, keeping it away from the trunk, to cover soil and prevent splash dispersal of the fungal spores.
  5. For best control, spray liquid copper soap early, two weeks before symptoms normally appear. Alternatively, begin applications when disease first appears, and repeat at 7 to 10 day intervals up to blossom drop.
  6. Bonide® Sulfur Plant Fungicide, a finely ground wettable powder, is used in pre-blossom applications and must go on before rainy or spore discharge periods. Apply from pre-pink through cover (2 Tbsp/ gallon of water), or use in cover sprays up to the day of harvest.
  7. Organocide® Plant Doctor is an earth-friendly systemic fungicide that works its way through the entire plant to combat a large number of diseases on ornamentals, turf, fruit and more. Apply as a soil drench or foliar spray (3-4 tsp/ gallon of water) to prevent and attack fungal problems.
  8. Containing sulfur and pyrethrins, Bonide® Orchard Spray is a safe, one-hit concentrate for insect attacks and fungal problems. For best results, apply as a protective spray (2.5 oz/ gallon) early in the season. If disease, insects or wet weather are present, mix 5 oz in one gallon of water. Thoroughly spray all parts of the plant, especially new shoots.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
here it is ...

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
here it is ...

Thank you Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts