Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nissan dealer wants to include new rotors with first change of brake pads at only 43000 kilometres. Is this normal as I think a person should get at least two sets of pads to a rotor.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No, I don't think its normal! Even needing new pads at 43,000 seems a tad soon to me.
I guess a lot depends on your driving habits (aggressive braking makes a difference) and whether you live in a very hilly area can actually have some effect on how long brakes last. But, I'd be pissed off if I were you. A brand new vehicle needing new rotors when its still under warranty? I can't help but wonder whether your calipers have been sticking and therefore wearing out your brakes too soon.
I'd check out online forums about your specific vehicle to see if this is a common complaint and if it is you may have some leverage to argue with the dealer to cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
One of the things that happens and why brake problems arise is from shops changing tires and not torqueing your wheel down properly. Yes it does not take much to warp a rotor these days, they are much thinner. Torque needs to be done in increments, and staggered in a star shaped pattern around the rim to apply the torque evenly. Did not seem to matter years ago when they were thicker. Usually brake pads from a dealer are better quality and one should at least expect 60,000 before changing. Remember its the parts that the dealers make the money on. I would be asking to see the pads and rotors. My son moved to Germany. Before leaving I did his whole car over. Brakes, plugs, filters etc, all new. His first visit to the garage there they convinced him that he needed every thing done. Not knowing much about cars he paid $$$ to have the new stuff either turfed or they billed him and left it there. From then on I told him every time they say some thing needs to be done, have them show him, and call me. I pitty some people who have no automobile knowledge and what there sucked in to. Look at the condition of your rotor, are they gouged, grooves cut in them, are they pulsating when braking, what is the pad thickness, is there squealing on braking?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Also check the color , yes the color of the rotor , if having a bluish tinge or heat signs they are possibly warped . That right there is tell tale sign of stuck calipers , another thing is changing out brake fluid , yes again brake fluid has life capacity , it breaks down over time from numerous reasons . Every time I do brake job I flush the lines for dirt , corrosion , and so on , most shops just push that right back into master cylinder thru the lines till it causes failure in the calipers #1 reason they fail , dirt and contaminants in the lines or brake fluids themselves have out lived time span and mileage .

Here is a link

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Also check the color , yes the color of the rotor , if having a bluish tinge or heat signs they are possibly warped . That right there is tell tale sign of stuck calipers , another thing is changing out brake fluid , yes again brake fluid has life capacity , it breaks down over time from numerous reasons . Every time I do brake job I flush the lines for dirt , corrosion , and so on , most shops just push that right back into master cylinder thru the lines till it causes failure in the calipers #1 reason they fail , dirt and contaminants in the lines or brake fluids themselves have out lived time span and mileage .

Here is a link

Yes and the rim of the bad wheel has soot usually covering it. If I suspect a problem I usually just feel the rim, keeping in mind they can be very hot so use caution.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Nissan dealer wants to include new rotors with first change of brake pads at only 43000 kilometres. Is this normal as I think a person should get at least to sets of pads on to a rotor.
Sounds to me you have a mechanic that knows what he is doing vs many today
I did the wife's 2017 rogue with 48,000 on it 4 rotors and new pads and yes it needed them and she drives her rig like a little old lady
Thunderstick hit the nail on the head. Once the wheel bearings came out of the rotors and they relied on torque with the slip on designs to be true it is not wise to change just the pads without new rotors
Like he said they are thinner and made of inferior metal compare to years ago and not made to be resurfaced
Sure people still change just the pads and yes may get away with it but looking for grooves or wear you can feel or see is not saying what shape the rotor is in .
Run a dial on it or better put it into a lathe is the only way to see what the surface is really like and what your new pads are breaking against
Maybe you won't notice it or maybe is will make a substancal difference

How important is torquing right well october 15th when getting the snow tires on my truck said toss a new set of pads and rotors on the front also will you
Well march 15th they were replaced under warranty and warped to death from not being torque correctly
No air guns on my vehicles for installation and a torque wrench but he used the air gun and no wrench I discovered
Tyson is bang on also see color and time to change and agree also on the brake fluid even though it is not the old stuff that would get bacteria in fact it is part of the nissan warranty requirement. I know the 2017 was done
But hey to each their own
Cheers

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Not my words

Are Rotors and Pads a Package Deal?
When it comes to maintenance, it might seem a little off that your mechanic recommends that both the brake pads and the brake rotors need to be replaced. But, is this normal? What’s the best way to service your brake pads and rotors?

Many professionals and mechanics would recommend that both elements of the brake system be replaced at the same time, but occasionally the owner may be able to just replace the brake pads without the rotor if the rotor isn’t showing as much wear and tear.

Besides maintenance efficiency, replacing both brake pads and rotors can increase the performance and longevity of your vehicle’s braking system. Brake rotors affect the way that your brake pads perform and wear over time. Some vehicle owners that have only replaced the brake pads and had kept the existing rotors experienced uneven wear on their brake pads afterwards, causing the need to replace the pads and rotors prematurely. If a mechanic does recommend that you stay with your existing brake rotors, it’s wise to ensure that he has checked the evenness of each brake rotor to avoid uneven wear.

This does mean, as well, that the brake rotors will have to be replaced in the future and likely before the brake pads need to be replaced. This means more time in the shop, so it can sometimes be more economical and efficient to replace all parts at the same time to avoid extra costs and time away from your daily routine.

The best advice is the advice that you get from an experienced car mechanic that you trust. Once you’ve started a relationship with your mechanic, he or she will be able to take a look at your vehicle specifically and provide the best recommendation for maintenance with your best interest in mind.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
You should get 60-70 thousand km out of the original brakes on any vehicle but we are talking about Nissan. You're lucky to get that kind of mileage from their CVT transmissions now.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Not my words
Average brake life in OEM 2021 vehicles is somewhere between 40,000 to 100,000 kilometers. There is great variation in the lifespan of your brakes depending on driving habits, pad material used and environment driven

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If I owned a new vehicle that needed rotors and pads at 43000 km .I would be selling it asap . had a honda civic that I put 80k on .took it in for safety inspection and asked to have new pads installed front and rear .I was has mad as hell when I picked the car up and they hadn't installed new pads . the dealer told me there was 30% life left in the original pads so they didn't install new pads . they got one more visit from me .when the warranty period was gone so was I . simply because they could not follow simple instructions .

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should get 60-70 thousand km out of the original brakes on any vehicle but we are talking about Nissan. You're lucky to get that kind of mileage from their CVT transmissions now.
Yes, the CVT transmission is a different driving experience. These vehicles seem to glide along and when you take your foot off the accelerator they do not slow down the same way other automatic transmissions do by shifting down a gear. So the driver needs to learn to judge how much distance their car will travel before starting to slow down without using the brakes. I often find myself misjudging ,especially when driving at high speeds on twinned highways 110 k plus, during rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If I owned a new vehicle that needed rotors and pads at 43000 km .I would be selling it asap . had a honda civic that I put 80k on .took it in for safety inspection and asked to have new pads installed front and rear .I was has mad as hell when I picked the car up and they hadn't installed new pads . the dealer told me there was 30% life left in the original pads so they didn't install new pads . they got one more visit from me .when the warranty period was gone so was I . simply because they could not follow simple instructions .
My Nissan is a 2017 so not new. Part of the problem is it is not driven enough. I think I had a caliber on one front wheel that stuck on as one pad is worn irregular and the other normal. So if you change one pad ya gotta do both, but new rotors was a surprise to me at such low kilometres. However, they will just change pads, but until they get it torn down you do not know the condition of the rotor(s).

I have a buddy that needed new pads on the rear in a 2018 outlander at 45000k and another buddy who needs new pads in his 2019 Nissan micra at 45000 k so something weird with brakes on modern vehicles is happening. Maybe the cvt transmissions or idiots torquing wheels too tight. This is the first time in 49 years of driving that I had to change pads so soon. Inferior materials?

The best power train I have ever had the pleasure to own was in a Honda Pilot ,but those dam things just cost way too much for an old pensioner like me.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
No maybe about it . Nissan is junk may as well by a Ford, Gm or Chrysler product lol .Honda and Toyota has owned the 2 thousands for best vehicles in my opinion .

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I priced out a new pilot as I like a 3.5 litre but to get the options we wanted put the price way beyond what we wanted to pay. Same goes for the highlander and I did not like the path finder. We ended up with a Murano with all our favourite options that is fun to drive but is a crossover. I drove 4x4 Chevys and GMC, for twenty years. The worst was an 1986 Toyota Tacoma .The box started to rust in the second year along the seam in the box and the water pump blew up at about the same time. The truck was just too small for moose hunting / camp out trips.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I had a Nissan Sentra from the days before they merged with Renault. It was a little tank. Couldn't kill it. Now they have class actions going against them for early failures of major components. Sad really. I have a coworker who has bought nothing but Nissan for at least the last 25 years. He just unloaded the latest one at a loss but was glad to see it go. It was the comparable model to a Toyota Camry. 2 tranny rebuilds and a brand new tranny inside of 100,000km. They really need to get clear of Renault which I hear is in the works.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If your vehicle isn't moving much the rotors will corrode pretty quick. The steel these days isn't great,especially for our maritime climate. As soon as you take the pads off and disturb the rust the rotor starts making noise so the shop is going to quote new rotors because they know that if they reuse the existing ones you're going to come back complaining of a noise in the brakes.Standard proceedure for me after 30 yrs being a mechanic. I won't put new pads on old rotors anymore. I've been bit too many times. Its easier to do a quality job and avoid the comebacks. Aftermarket rotors are generally not expensive for most cars.Most shops don't machine rotors anymore as the labor costs as much as a new rotor.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
If your vehicle isn't moving much the rotors will corrode pretty quick. The steel these days isn't great,especially for our maritime climate. As soon as you take the pads off and disturb the rust the rotor starts making noise so the shop is going to quote new rotors because they know that if they reuse the existing ones you're going to come back complaining of a noise in the brakes.Standard proceedure for me after 30 yrs being a mechanic. I won't put new pads on old rotors anymore. I've been bit too many times. Its easier to do a quality job and avoid the comebacks. Aftermarket rotors are generally not expensive for most cars.Most shops don't machine rotors anymore as the labor costs as much as a new rotor.
Well; said and I agree 100% sitting is what killed my wife's brakes christ it doesn't move from end of june to sept . I have not placed just pads on anything since the slip on rotors came out it was not even recommended then
Brakes today are like oil changes regular required maintenance
As far a refacing most cannot even be done just too thin and hard and not worth it . In fact try to find a shop with a brake lathe any more. Christ I had to take the rear drums on my 68 impala to a semi repair shop to get them done three years ago
Cheers

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
No maybe about it . Nissan is junk may as well by a Ford, Gm or Chrysler product lol .Honda and Toyota has owned the 2 thousands for best vehicles in my opinion .
Just wondering why I still have Gm's on the road after 54 years if GM made junk are junk :).My old now 2009 silverado ltz is one of the best trucks I have ever owned and if I had the 88k they wanted :( sitting I would replace it with another
I went the honda route from new in 1976 yes one of the first cvcc's here from claud sniff sniff ramsey :) ,another new in 78 and the last one in sydney , 84 86,88,95, 2000 and 2004 all in truro and serviced there . They are not any better than the rest any more IMHO and the honda dealer here is the worst which makes owning one a real pain and reason wife bought a nissan in 2017 after she went in and tried to buy a honda crv and they made her cry they were that rude so bad the salesman ended up getting fired after corporate got involved, She was just one of many complaints

We have had zero issues with the 2017 nissan other than a brake change and tires which is expected and the wife's new 2022 rogue is a beautiful rig . If they are junk try to buy one she had to have hers ordering in from the factory. That 3 cyl turbo has impressed the crap out of me so far and that is hard to do when it comes to engines
Plus nissan in 2022 hold two of the four top spots even over honda :p. Honda has one
To each their own
Cheers

1 - 20 of 67 Posts