Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
No maybe about it . Nissan is junk may as well by a Ford, Gm or Chrysler product lol .Honda and Toyota has owned the 2 thousands for best vehicles in my opinion .
I have had 3 new trucks since 2007 a ford,toyota and chev all had the brakes serviced at around 30,000 klms ie cleaned and lubed all of them lasted around 100,000 klms. before being replaced,they were daily drivers used but not abused so I would be pissed to have to do major brake work at 40000 klm and it would be the last time buying that brand of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I have had 3 new trucks since 2007 a ford,toyota and chev all had the brakes serviced at around 30,000 klms ie cleaned and lubed all of them lasted around 100,000 klms. before being replaced,they were daily drivers used but not abused so I would be pissed to have to do major brake work at 40000 klm and it would be the last time buying that brand of[/QUOTE
So which truck would you buy a second time? I have owned several Ford F-150 models, Chev Silverado extended cap. GMC Sierra work truck,GMC camper special and a Toyota Tacoma.I was wondering about options on the Toyota Tundra 4x4 sport

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
So which truck would you buy a second time? I have owned several Ford F-150 models, Chev Silverado extended cab, GMC Sierra work truck, GMC camper special and a Toyota Tacoma. I was wondering about opinions on the Toyota Tundra 4x4 sport.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So which truck would you buy a second time? I have owned several Ford F-150 models, Chev Silverado extended cab, GMC Sierra work truck, GMC camper special and a Toyota Tacoma. I was wondering about opinions on the Toyota Tundra 4x4 sport.
Thats easy another CHEV SILVERADO Extended cab with a 5.3 litre v8 a 6 speed tranny and 342 rear ends gives me around 10.8 litres per 100 klm not bad for a full size part time 4 wheel drive good for road trips lots of power when passing and enough room for guns and gear in the back seat and able to put groceries in there also so no need of a cap and enough room to get my 6ft 2 250lb ass in and out

·
Registered
875 Posts
Major problems with the engines in the new Chev trucks. Heads,valves etc. They don't survive long with the cylinder cut out feature and direct injection. The valves get full of crud and start causing problems. Sister in law had to get her motor replaced at 40k. Her husbands truck isn't far behind so he's waiting for it to turf.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Major problems with the engines in the new Chev trucks. Heads,valves etc. They don't survive long with the cylinder cut out feature and direct injection. The valves get full of crud and start causing problems. Sister in law had to get her motor replaced at 40k. Her husbands truck isn't far behind so he's waiting for it to turf.
ya i heard that mine is a 2018 and has 93,000 on it and the flex system has been around for years but if gm screwed that up last one for me and would then look at a full size toyota my brother inlaw had one for 10 yrs 350000 klms but it was a 2007 so will keep fingers crossed

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
ya i heard that mine is a 2018 and has 93,000 on it and the flex system has been around for years but if gm screwed that up last one for me and would then look at a full size toyota my brother inlaw had one for 10 yrs 350000 klms but it was a 2007 so will keep fingers crossed
Mine is flex fuel also but older 209 and has 269K on it and my buds same truck same year only different color both with the 5.3 and his has 460 plus
Both of us have always used mobil 1 syn and change at 5000kms
My motor is as new inside and zero crud and no tappy ;lifters but gives 15 L best per 100 also think GM is over it's engine issues but only time will tell

For 2021 Silverado and Sierra trucks there were four recalls, none of which involved engine issues. and the engines identified ( generation 4 & 5 vortecs) with issues were below with 2015 they say being the worst

Important to remember even if your truck is in that group only 4-5% are having issues but I sure would be running syn oil with regular changes

The engine in question is the 5.3-liter Vortec in the following GM models:
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Avalanche
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Silverado
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Suburban
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
  • 2010-2016 GMC Sierra
  • 2010-2016 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
Doesn't seem to be a lot of engine complaints on the 2018 year

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is flex fuel also but older 209 and has 269K on it and my buds same truck same year only different color both with the 5.3 and his has 460 plus
Both of us have always used mobil 1 syn and change at 5000kms
My motor is as new inside and zero crud and no tappy ;lifters but gives 15 L best per 100 also think GM is over it's engine issues but only time will tell

For 2021 Silverado and Sierra trucks there were four recalls, none of which involved engine issues. and the engines identified ( generation 4 & 5 vortecs) with issues were below with 2015 they say being the worst

Important to remember even if your truck is in that group only 4-5% are having issues but I sure would be running syn oil with regular changes

The engine in question is the 5.3-liter Vortec in the following GM models:
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Avalanche
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Silverado
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Suburban
  • 2010-2016 Chevrolet Tahoe
  • 2010-2016 GMC Sierra
  • 2010-2016 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
Doesn't seem to be a lot of engine complaints on the 2018 year

Cheers
looks like mine is not a problem year and my understanding of the lifter problem is it is in the new truck like 2022 probably covid related ha ha . Thanks for the info 3 Macs hope you are right

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
looks like mine is not a problem year and my understanding of the lifter problem is it is in the new truck like 2022 probably covid related ha ha . Thanks for the info 3 Macs hope you are right
All we can do is our oil changes as required and hope :). My bud has a new 2022 and loves it so far. I think he had a 2018 before which he gave his son since it worked so well
Both are fully loaded gmc's and beautiful
take care

·
Registered
782 Posts
I Got a 19 trail boss LT best chev i had on gaS and if the motor goes its got 160 on the drive train so i hope i get a new motor before the warrante is up .The only issue i heard was the oil pump my buddy works for chev anyway its covered for awhile i got 65 thou on it since new.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I Got a 19 trail boss LT best chev i had on gaS and if the motor goes its got 160 on the drive train so i hope i get a new motor before the warrante is up .The only issue i heard was the oil pump my buddy works for chev anyway its covered for awhile i got 65 thou on it since new.
and a beautiful truck I may add :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think folks make there own problems when it comes to the engines that go from 4-8 cylinders. I stay away from oil sales like at Walmart, CT etc. Many oils do not have the proper additives that is needed for these newer vehicles. Our VW takes a special oil only from VW, CT and Walmart sell what looks the same but does not have the proper additives. I buy my oil directly through Dodge for my truck as it has the engine that drops from 8 to 4 cylinder. Using the improper oil will certainly have a bearing on engine life. I have also seen people cause problems for there atv and side by sides using cheap oil not to specs. Years ago bought motorcycle oil from CT and lost my clutch. I do not buy their oil. All oil is not the same. The good stuff can mean saving your engine.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I think folks make there own problems when it comes to the engines that go from 4-8 cylinders. I stay away from oil sales like at Walmart, CT etc. Many oils do not have the proper additives that is needed for these newer vehicles. Our VW takes a special oil only from VW, CT and Walmart sell what looks the same but does not have the proper additives. I buy my oil directly through Dodge for my truck as it has the engine that drops from 8 to 4 cylinder. Using the improper oil will certainly have a bearing on engine life. I have also seen people cause problems for there atv and side by sides using cheap oil not to specs. Years ago bought motorcycle oil from CT and lost my clutch. I do not buy their oil. All oil is not the same. The good stuff can mean saving your engine.
You are so right and I agree 100% . I remember when I last worked at a dealership and that was not yesterday 1985 in fact good old Harvard AMC Renault maybe nomad can remember that place and they were good cars ED just very complicated to work on with a ton of electrical issues
People would come in for oil changes and hand me this and I would say NOPE I will not put that in your engine
Take care

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You are so right and I agree 100% . I remember when I last worked at a dealership and that was not yesterday 1985 in fact good old Harvard AMC Renault maybe nomad can remember that place and they were good cars ED just very complicated to work on with a ton of electrical issues
People would come in for oil changes and hand me this and I would say NOPE I will not put that in your engine
Take care
I think that stuff you could buy 4 liters for 99 cents. After using you were guaranteed to find nuggets in your oil pan:)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sister in law only has her work done at the dealer and still lost the engine so I doubt the oil had anything to do with it.

For motorcycles and quads you need to read your owners manual, many of them specify that normal automotive oil doesn't meet the specs and will result in clutch failure.

My old ford with the 4.6 has been getting 15w40 diesel oil since I bought it 10 yrs ago and I generally skip a lot of oil changes.Don't buy a vehicle from a mechanic....we're the worst for maintenance. My change oil light has been on for 6 mths lol.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Sister in law only has her work done at the dealer and still lost the engine so I doubt the oil had anything to do with it.

For motorcycles and quads you need to read your owners manual, many of them specify that normal automotive oil doesn't meet the specs and will result in clutch failure.
OIL had nothing to do with it Interesting from a mechanic
Yep GM wanted me to change the oil every 10,000 kms per their warranty . I said no way 5000 for me but they said it is syn. Said I don't care I have been running syn since 1985 and shared an office with a oil tech for many many years who would test our engine oils for us at every change and send them off to caterpiller's lab out west. I went as high as 7000 kms ONCE and only ONCE after seeing the reports
Also the filter used is huge what people use and GM filters suck. Mobil 1 syn filters for me made by WIX who have made filters for 80 years in the good old USA and unless it changed 100% syn is not required either by GM in the 5.3 which IMO is nuts in 2022 and then ask why their is crud build up in the engine HUMM. I think they may use a blend still but not 100% sure on that
To each their own.
Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
OIL had nothing to do with it and you are a mechanic?? Interesting
Yep GM wanted me to change the oil every 10,000 kms per their warranty . I said no way 5000 for me but they said it is syn. Said I don't care I have been running syn since 1985 and shared an office with a oil tech for many many years who would test our engine oils for us at every change and send them off to caterpiller's lab out west. I went as high as 7000 kms ONCE and only ONCE after seeing the reports
Also the filter used is huge what people use and GM filters suck. Mobil 1 syn filters for me
To each their own.
Cheers
I to only use the dealership to change the oil and always within the correct milage or date an funny they always send me a 20.00 off deal online just before it needs to be done like they are tracking me

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
OIL had nothing to do with it Interesting from a mechanic
Also the filter used is huge what people use and GM filters suck. Mobil 1 syn filters for me made by WIX who have made filters for 80 years in the good old USA and unless it changed 100% syn is not required either by GM in the 5.3 which IMO is nuts in 2022 and then ask why their is crud build up in the engine HUMM. I think they may use a blend still but not 100% sure on that
To each their own.
Cheers
Your right about a good filter. Another thing is driving habits. If you don't drive far enough to work to have your vehicle warm up properly then your engine is full of sludge. I run synthetic in our car (VW). When the wife used it for going a short distance to work you could open the filler cap and scoop out the sludge. I never went extended periods because it was synthetic, it had the oil changed still at every 5000 klms regardless. Nothing says a dealer is doing stuff right either. When I bought my new side by side I wanted to dump the gear oil from the tranny. I went every where looking for GL4 gear oil. The responses I got from the dealers and even transmission shops was shocking. They never knew there was a difference and used GL 5 in every thing. GL5 gear oil eats syncronizers in standard transmissions. So after a few years your tranny goes and you cannot fall back on the service center as the warrantee period has expired. I do all my own servicing, there are just to many so called technicians out there without a clue.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Your right about a good filter. Another thing is driving habits. If you don't drive far enough to work to have your vehicle warm up properly then your engine is full of sludge. I run synthetic in our car (VW). When the wife used it for going a short distance to work you could open the filler cap and scoop out the sludge. I never went extended periods because it was synthetic, it had the oil changed still at every 5000 klms regardless. Nothing says a dealer is doing stuff right either. When I bought my new side by side I wanted to dump the gear oil from the tranny. I went every where looking for GL4 gear oil. The responses I got from the dealers and even transmission shops was shocking. They never knew there was a difference and used GL 5 in every thing. GL5 gear oil eats syncronizers in standard transmissions. So after a few years your tranny goes and you cannot fall back on the service center as the warrantee period has expired. I do all my own servicing, there are just to many so called technicians out there without a clue.
You nailed it . I went through the exact same thing with the gl4 only one old guy who was like 75 even knew what I was talking about
I tried everywhere to get it in canada but could not and finally found these guys in canada and now get what I need from them and they are great to deal with
I have a ton of brass worm gear boxes in the old tillers and they won't last at all with gl5
take care

(November 28, 2021)
ProductQuantityPrice
Millers Oils Classic Gear Oil EP 140 GL4 L1$78.95
Subtotal:$78.95
Shipping:$20.00 via Flat rate - UNDER $200

21 - 40 of 67 Posts