Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yep GM wanted me to change the oil every 10,000 kms per their warranty . I said no way 5000 for me but they said it is syn. Said I don't care I have been running syn since 1985 and shared an office with a oil tech for many many years who would test our engine oils for us at every change and send them off to caterpiller's lab out west. I went as high as 7000 kms ONCE and only ONCE after seeing the reports

Cheers

Funny, I worked for a huge oilfield company who moved completely away from scheduled oil changes and went completely to a testing program.
The units came in every 500hrs and the filters were changed and the oil sampled. The oil was only changed if testing said it was needed. We had a testing machine in every shop.
We're talking around a hundred V12 Cats and V16 Cummins engines worth more some peoples houses running pumps plus a few hundred normal diesels.
We didn't have any increase in engine failures and maintenance costs went down about 25%. I would regularly see engines with 1500hrs on the oil pass testing.
When you're oil change is almost a barrel of oil and you have around 100 of those engines, getting the most out the oils useful life is a big deal.
We bought motor oil delivered by tandem truck weekly and had huge tanks onsite.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
There was a class action launched against gm in December 2021 in the US. It is concerning premature engine failure in 2014-2021 trucks equipped with afm engines. If I were to buy a new gm, first thing I would do is disable afm feature. I have an 09 Sierra that I bought new. 4.8 litre non afm engine. 328,000 km synthetic oil change every 8500-9000 km.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
So which truck would you buy a second time? I have owned several Ford F-150 models, Chev Silverado extended cab, GMC Sierra work truck, GMC camper special and a Toyota Tacoma. I was wondering about opinions on the Toyota Tundra 4x4 sport.
I've been looking hard at reviews and tests on the new Tundra. It seems to be having way too many problems for a Toyota imho. I would wait til the new platform is out for at least 3 model years before I'd consider one. Leaning hard toward a Tacoma next year.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I just want a new truck with a 1990 year 350 cubic inch motor under the hood and 4 wheel drive with locking warn hubs.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
There was a class action launched against gm in December 2021 in the US. It is concerning premature engine failure in 2014-2021 trucks equipped with afm engines. If I were to buy a new gm, first thing I would do is disable afm feature. I have an 09 Sierra that I bought new. 4.8 litre non afm engine. 328,000 km synthetic oil change every 8500-9000 km.
Man your oil sure isn't yellow and clear like mine coming out at 5000. By 6500 mine was turning black
Yep the law suit is on the lifters not sure if a disable will help or not
Cheers

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Funny, I worked for a huge oilfield company who moved completely away from scheduled oil changes and went completely to a testing program.
The units came in every 500hrs and the filters were changed and the oil sampled. The oil was only changed if testing said it was needed. We had a testing machine in every shop.
We're talking around a hundred V12 Cats and V16 Cummins engines worth more some peoples houses running pumps plus a few hundred normal diesels.
We didn't have any increase in engine failures and maintenance costs went down about 25%. I would regularly see engines with 1500hrs on the oil pass testing.
When you're oil change is almost a barrel of oil and you have around 100 of those engines, getting the most out the oils useful life is a big deal.
We bought motor oil delivered by tandem truck weekly and had huge tanks onsite.
Any company that runs large machines has to do it that way. I remember my uncle who was a cat mechanic here and now retired saying some oil; changes run 20,000 bucks probally more today :(
We did it at DEVCO of all places as far back as 1980 but sent all of the samples to cat for testing all changes we done by tests not time or hours
Cheers

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Me I want my 68 3/4 ton with the 292 6 cyl and 4 speed back :( and she had the warn hubs also
I think you guys are going to have to settle for a e-bike and a winter coat.:) Just down my street three neighbors went out bought new GM' trucks a few months back, diesel etc. We are talking $80,000-$100,000. Why one would do that, some are still waiting for there order to come in. Not much traffic on my street, used to see them running out to Tims. I think one can bet that vehicle service especially oil changes will get let go by many because of the cost. I think a jug of 5-40 Rotella goes for over $100, everything on the shelf will go up again in two weeks. I remember the days in Cape Breton where people took ones used oil to put in there vehicle. That could become a trend again:)

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Man your oil sure isn't yellow and clear like mine coming out at 5000. By 6500 mine was turning black
Yep the law suit is on the lifters
Cheers
No, it's far from yellow lol.still doesn't burn a drop though. I've got a couple of friends with 5.3's(an 08 and an 11) they both burn oil and have for some time. The 11 won't start burning it til around 6000 km on the oil. The 08 burns it from the get go. I change mine when the meter shows 25% oil life remaining.i use quality filters as well. I change the oil on my brother's Corolla at 6500-7000 with semi syn and the oil looks like it was just put in. Shocks me every time. Over 300,000 on it to boot.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
No, it's far from yellow lol.still doesn't burn a drop though. I've got a couple of friends with 5.3's(an 08 and an 11) they both burn oil and have for some time. The 11 won't start burning it til around 6000 km on the oil. The 08 burns it from the get go. I change mine when the meter shows 25% oil life remaining.i use quality filters as well. I change the oil on my brother's Corolla at 6500-7000 with semi syn and the oil looks like it was just put in. Shocks me every time. Over 300,000 on it to boot.
I have been a 100% syn man like I have said since 1985. I hate so say it but have never had an engine issue since and two were those 3.1 chevs that they had to replace motors in , all motors are very clean inside and my last dodge 4x4 with a 318 that everyone was losing the crank shafts in had about 450,000 MILES on it and it is still going plowing up in baddeck. I don't remember the last vehicle I had that smoked. I run it in everything the small engines, generator, snow blowers etc etc everything but the lawn mowers there I run amsoil
100% syn is well worth the money IMHO
Cheers

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I think you guys are going to have to settle for a e-bike and a winter coat.:) Just down my street three neighbors went out bought new GM' trucks a few months back, diesel etc. We are talking $80,000-$100,000. Why one would do that, some are still waiting for there order to come in. Not much traffic on my street, used to see them running out to Tims. I think one can bet that vehicle service especially oil changes will get let go by many because of the cost. I think a jug of 5-40 Rotella goes for over $100, everything on the shelf will go up again in two weeks. I remember the days in Cape Breton where people took ones used oil to put in there vehicle. That could become a trend again:)
Jesus. I forgot about that but they sure did and would tell us they wanted it for undercoat :(

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Back to the topic of rotors, my buddy bought everything for his chev wanting me to do the front brakes for him. After changing things over he had a shimmey in the front end. It ended up that one of the new rotors came from the dealer out of balance. They were suppose to be the high end ones. Lot of stuff being built today that no one is inspecting, or is the same junk marked up as the higher end product. Had a chev car once the front wheel bearing went under warrantee. They had to order one in. I told the service counter that one could pick one up from a parts store locally. They said to me why would you want a cheap after market part put on and have to do it over again in a year. I said dear I am here because after 23,000 klms my chev wheel bearing is gone?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I remember going to garages and getting waste oil as a teenager. Mostly because the junk we were driving was burning/leaking so much oil you couldn't buy it fast enough and back in the late eighties in CB there weren't many people working to afford much of anything. I was working in a body shop for $50/wk.
I remember a buddy and myself took an 80's dodge colt to Toronto and it burned two oil changes to a tank of gas lol. We stopped at shops all the way up and back getting jugs of waste oil. IIRC we burned $100 worth of gas to get there and about 10 jugs of waste oil lol. We had nothing back then but we had fun.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I remember going to garages and getting waste oil as a teenager. Mostly because the junk we were driving was burning/leaking so much oil you couldn't buy it fast enough and back in the late eighties in CB there weren't many people working to afford much of anything. I was working in a body shop for $50/wk.
I remember a buddy and myself took an 80's dodge colt to Toronto and it burned two oil changes to a tank of gas lol. We stopped at shops all the way up and back getting jugs of waste oil. IIRC we burned $100 worth of gas to get there and about 10 jugs of waste oil lol. We had nothing back then but we had fun.
This brings back memories!! My father had a '68 Dodge pickup with a 225 slant six. He had driven the living piss out of it plowing snow and it burned practically as much oil as gas it seemed. I took it to Northern New Brunswick from Moncton for a fishing weekend in '73. I stopped at Canadian Tire on Mountain Road in Moncton and bought 3 gallons cans and a couple quarts of Nugold oil for the trip. Used every bit of it and had to buy another quart of oil on the way home! The blue smoke probably hung in the air behind me for days after I drove past! :)
As you say - Good times!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I replaced my rear brakes (the whole kit and kabootle) at 15,000 km on my F150. They said it was because I had it under coated and I must live on a dirt road. The dirt road I live on is a quarter of a km long and my brother did my under coating. He worked for a garage and his job was to Rust Check vehicles. A load of crap if you ask me. Rotors were covered under warranty. Had to pay for new pads, but they are guaranteed for life now. As far as oil changes … they want me to come in every 8,000 km. I have the Power Stroke diesel, and says right on the Ford website … every 16,000 km. I do mine at 15,000. I don’t tow anything or over work the truck. The garages want you in more frequently for oil changes. $$$$$

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I replaced my rear brakes (the whole kit and kabootle) at 15,000 km on my F150. They said it was because I had it under coated and I must live on a dirt road. The dirt road I live on is a quarter of a km long and my brother did my under coating. He worked for a garage and his job was to Rust Check vehicles. A load of crap if you ask me. Rotors were covered under warranty. Had to pay for new pads, but they are guaranteed for life now. As far as oil changes … they want me to come in every 8,000 km. I have the Power Stroke diesel, and says right on the Ford website … every 16,000 km. I do mine at 15,000. I don’t tow anything or over work the truck. The garages want you in more frequently for oil changes. $$$$$
Why would anyone need brakes on a FORD they don't move to have to stop:p

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
All Fords are built with a rust accelerator in them :) I bought a brand truck 6 years ago. By 33,000 klm's it had eaten three sets of tires on the front end. They said it was because I needed to rotate the tires every 4000 klms. At that rate the lug nuts would be wore out. It was terrible on gas, cost me $500 to go from the Valley to Cape Breton. The engine had a tick that came and went, the two front rotors seized, the transmission had a bad clunk when you put it in gear. I got tired taking it in to Ford so I took it one day to a transmission shop to have there opinion on the clunk. After the test drive they told me that both the tranny and the rear end were bad. All in 33,000 babied klms. What junk. I traded it in on a Dodge and as far as I know it went to some happy person in the US. Every time I see a Ford truck parked I look at the front wheels. You never see any that do not have the outside of the tire scalloped.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
All Fords are built with a rust accelerator in them :) I bought a brand truck 6 years ago. By 33,000 klm's it had eaten three sets of tires on the front end. They said it was because I needed to rotate the tires every 4000 klms. At that rate the lug nuts would be wore out. It was terrible on gas, cost me $500 to go from the Valley to Cape Breton. The engine had a tick that came and went, the two front rotors seized, the transmission had a bad clunk when you put it in gear. I got tired taking it in to Ford so I took it one day to a transmission shop to have there opinion on the clunk. After the test drive they told me that both the tranny and the rear end were bad. All in 33,000 babied klms. What junk. I traded it in on a Dodge and as far as I know it went to some happy person in the US. Every time I see a Ford truck parked I look at the front wheels. You never see any that do not have the outside of the tire scalloped.
You should be thankful. You had one of the rare ones that moved the odd time :p:p Brother had two with the eco boost engines last one maybe a 18?? and both engines were replaced and one tranny . He owns a dodge rebel now also and love it
Cheers

41 - 60 of 67 Posts