Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know where im going to be oct1 at daybreak, blind #11!
My friend got drawn and invited me along. Should we go scout it out?? He got notice water levels down, retriever recommended.
Should we bring waders or find someone with a dog?
Anyone have advice for us?
So many questions spring after the first answer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just need a small boat or canoe for retrieving. Build your blind at home and set it up the day before. Remember to hi have to take out what you take in.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Unless something has changed since the Spring - Belle Isle is basically a bunch of overgrown ponds full of vegetation with little open water - maybe they did some work on the ponds this Summer to change things.
Always found hunting ducks, with a dog, gives the best chance of retrieving them.

Some info here and some guys to PM maybe, Tim.

And dont forget - from the regs;

• 16 (1) No person shall hunt a migratory bird unless he has adequate means for retrieving any such bird that he may kill, cripple or injure.

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Sounds like you got some serious training to do with Maggie...lol

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you got some serious training to do with Maggie...lol
Nope Maggie's family (puppies) will be arriving 26-29th
Looks like she swallowed a football and it turned sideways, shes huge and getting bigger every day
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
From what I have read on an other site you will need a boat . pond vegetation is quite thick and not wader or dog friendly . you most certainly should go scout out your blind location .
Map Font Slope Urban design Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know where im going to be oct1 at daybreak, blind #11!
My friend got drawn and invited me along. Should we go scout it out?? He got notice water levels down, retriever recommended.
Should we bring waders or find someone with a dog?
Anyone have advice for us?
So many questions spring after the first answer
I will be in Blind 6.

Belle Isle is a Love/hate thing for me. If you get groups around you that let the birds work it is awesome. If you have a couple of sky blasters around you aren't gonna like it. We had people shoot just to disrupt us before.

11 is ok. Lots of vegetation - that pond typically has tall thick cattails in the back section, up by 11 has some open water with reeds. I would 100% recommend a boat of some sort. You can wade but be careful because the muck is thick and there are holes. I sometimes use the boat to steady myself as I wade.

A dog is recommended because I can almost guarantee if you get a cripple without a dog you are SOL given the vegetation. So much so that we have gone back after the first couple of days and let the dogs work the ponds and pick up cripples. Some days 4+ birds doing that with zero shooting from us.

I typically only stay day 1 & 2 as by day 3 the brids are spooked and shot off.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we went to scout today and set up a blind
Once we figured out where #11 was and how to find it, we started planning.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

This is number 11, no open water, clogged with vegetation. Nothing around that resembles cover. I planned for this and had an old net, 5 x 40ft, as well as some plastic electrical conduit, zip ties and a cordless drill to make holes in the conduit.
We cut a patch of grass away and saved it to cover above on the netting. Then we assembled the blind and covered it with the net, added the grass over the top and then netted the front to "hide".

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

We think it should work for us, we can always modify on the fly between birds if needed.

Cmon Friday!!

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Remember Tim...leave the lead shot home...lol

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im taking the 20ga, all the ammo i can find for it is steel #4&6
Should do the job at 20 to 30m

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far today weve heard a few shots and fewer birds.
Tried goose as a group flew overhead but it was frustrating not seeing any.
2+ hrs in and we saw 3 ducks too far away

·
Registered
146 Posts
So far today weve heard a few shots and fewer birds.
Tried goose as a group flew overhead but it was frustrating not seeing any.
2+ hrs in and we saw 3 ducks too far away
It is a shame because if DNR put time and $$ into that complex it would be awesome. It has certainly gone downhill over the last number of years. When I first started hunting there all the blinds had open water and it was fantastic.

As stated before Belle Isle is love hate for me. We had a decent blind but our neighbour had never waterfowl hunted before, came un prepared and severely misjudged distances. We chatted on several occasions but our conversations didn’t stick.

the love is despite that we had a decent shoot and last night I shot my first banded bird. A juvenile wood duck. I submitted my band report and am still waiting to find the banding details.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently smu got some money to upgrade belleisle. Ill wait and see what happens

1 - 14 of 14 Posts