Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
A rifle that fits you with features you like and something thats in your price range. Don't forget some good glass. When calling they can come in fast so prepare for close shots, not a fan of over magnification at the low end on varmit rigs. A .223 or .22-250 are both nice yote medicine.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
At this point in time … do some looking around for ammo. No good to buy a rifle if you can’t find ammo. Having said that … I have noticed a lot of 22-250 ammo on the shelves in the few stores I frequently check.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
I'll second the nod for 243 also ! Dual gun for the vermin AND deer. Great back up big game option, if you're so inclined.
But..IF...you're not interested in a deer also caliber and want to remain with something in the 22 caliber centerfire only, 223 would be my choice. Ammo seems to be more prevalent in most stores. It was a little cheaper than the 22-250 when I last saw it in sept @ CT.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Sold off my 22-250 for yotes , had to many instances of thru and thru and yotes manage to get to the brush to pile up . Since switched to .243 only one yote taken but it was DOA with no going anywhere , As others stated its dual rifle , I carry 2 mags one loaded for yotes and other for deer , plus the casing is a .308 necked down , very easy to reload if that's your choice . 50 or 55 grain out of a necked down .308 casing gives excellent knock down on Mr.Yote . Good glass and as stated as well , buy with in your budget and what suits yourself .

Not saying .223 / 22-250 / .204 Ruger and few others are not great yote cartriges , been there myself with them , even .17HMR AND .22 MAG are good rounds , have .22 mag for dispatch rifle in traps . Close range is best on rim fire rounds under 50 yrds . I've taken many coyote over the yrs even with shotgun and #4 buck under 50 yrds , it's price point and fit and feel .

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Another vote for the 243. The favorite is a remington in 7400 semi set up for them ( different scope) and another few 243 pumps in 7600 that works well with reloads plus all kills deer bang flop with 100 g partitions and I used 58g Vmax for coyotes
Had a remington 7315 also in 223 and a stevens 200 in 223 which both were fine but could only use it on coyotes so sold them
Cheers

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sold off my 22-250 for yotes , had to many instances of thru and thru and yotes manage to get to the brush to pile up . Since switched to .243 only one yote taken but it was DOA with no going anywhere , As others stated its dual rifle , I carry 2 mags one loaded for yotes and other for deer , plus the casing is a .308 necked down , very easy to reload if that's your choice . 50 or 55 grain out of a necked down .308 casing gives excellent knock down on Mr.Yote . Good glass and as stated as well , buy with in your budget and what suits yourself .

Not saying .223 / 22-250 / .204 Ruger and few others are not great yote cartriges , been there myself with them , even .17HMR AND .22 MAG are good rounds , have .22 mag for dispatch rifle in traps . Close range is best on rim fire rounds under 50 yrds . I've taken many coyote over the yrs even with shotgun and #4 buck under 50 yrds , it's price point and fit and feel .
Deff gonna be in the price range of 800-1100 so I got some scouting to do hahah

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Keep an eye on The Gun Dealers website...he has a lot of used stuff in those calibers from time to time. Annnd , they usually move pretty quickly.

Reactions: Jward

· Registered
905 Posts
Cabella's has the Savage Axis XP on sale $420 right now, though you would probably want to replace the scope. Not as fancy as a Model 11 but from what I've read they are quite accurate and reliable.
If you compare ballistics, the .243 holds its own against the .22 calibers, which are really limited use here in NS.
If I were buying a new rifle I would go .243, 6.5 Creedmor or .308 but probably .243.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Great price ! Lotsa guys using the Axis models with great results down range !! Savage quality is still there...and as with pretty well all Savages...accuracy is a given !

Reactions: Jward

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Like someone else has said make sure you can get ammo for your choice, I do see .223/5.56 on the shelves and some .22-250 not sure if .243 is around. You may or may not reload and you may or may not have reloading supplies, even those are hard to come by these days.

· Registered
277 Posts
I'll second the nod for 243 also ! Dual gun for the vermin AND deer. Great back up big game option, if you're so inclined.
But..IF...you're not interested in a deer also caliber and want to remain with something in the 22 caliber centerfire only, 223 would be my choice. Ammo seems to be more prevalent in most stores. It was a little cheaper than the 22-250 when I last saw it in sept @ CT.
The regs state that for deer it has to be .23 or greater. .223 doesn't qualify. At least in the summary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts