Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best trail camera for placing around hunting camp when not present. Something in the 150.00 range or so. Best waterproof and best battery life.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I strictly use Browning trail cams, now. They are more than $150 … but battery life is awesome. I keep one out year round. New batteries in Sept of 2020 and it is still going strong. It has literally taken thousands of pics and battery life as of last week was still at 87%.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I know nothing about these but maybe a year ago I asked about them for a friend and buckmark recommended the browning models and I got him one since he has no computer to order it
He has like 4 now and loves them
Thank you Buckmark

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What is the best trail camera for placing around hunting camp when not present. Something in the 150.00 range or so. Best waterproof and best battery life.
If you have cell coverage at your camp get a spypoint cellular cam, they run $149.99 at Cabelas/Bass Pro. That way you will still get pics if someone steals it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I just got a twin pack of the spypoint lte mini $179
Waiting for them to arrive now.
They will be #10 and 11 for my collection. I still have some of the old bushnell cams out working.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
only have experience with NON-cell cams;

red or lo-glow cams give off a red light, when triggered, that can be seen by humans. They will capture things out further than no-glow.
black or no-glow cams give off no light, when triggered, that can be seen by humans.Usually more expensive than red/lo-glow.

some cams have a wider angle lense - 120 degrees or more on some. So, you get more coverage.
some of these wide angle lense cams also have 3 sensors - one pints straight ahead, one to left, one to right. These type of cams are pretty good at starting up at slightest movement - sucks though if lots of leaf movement in the wiind.

for low price and small size, I've had good luck with these;
Campark cams . No leaks, good battery life with lithiums. They take a mini SD card which is tricky when you have big thumbs. They have a microphone but not that great of sound.
Covert black mp8 (if you can find them) - small size & dependable & good battery life with lithiums - take a full size SD card. No microphone so no sound on video mode.

I only use my cams on video now - way better than pics for figuring things out, IMO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
way out of the budget but spypoint solar powered is my vote. Left one out for 12 months and it stayed at or near 100% battery the whole time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
At $150ish, I’d recommend the Browning Strike Force HD Max. It goes on sale for $129 frequently at Cabela’s/Bass Pro. If you have cell coverage, the Spypoint Link Micro LTE would be a good option as well. Those are on sale for $149 right now at Cabela’s/Bass Pro.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you all for the great info on trail cameras. Now the shopping begins🌝🌝

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm running somewhere in the vicinity of 20-26 non cellular trail cameras in the spring/summer months and 8 cell cams currently. Ive run basically most the major brands out there over the years. And from what I've found for non cellular or regular cameras, Browning Strike force series, Covert Mp16, stealth cam Gn42's are my most consistent working cameras with good battery life, with the edge going to browning. But in saying that I probably run a lot Wild Game Innovations cameras from terra 8's to their 16Mp models, but either the lath breaks or one of those cams stops working every year

Spypoint..... Where to begin, I probably wouldn't spypoint camera if it was giving to me especially their micro series. I'm no beginner when it comes to running cameras, and couldn't for the life of get one to consistently work between network errors, firmware updates, the cameras hating Class 10 Sd cards for some weird reason. And the app interface isn't as user friendly as others, the pictures sent to my phone when they did send were grainy as hell and over exposed. And i put a browning strike force on the same tree as a link micro series and the browning took 150 photos with the same settings one night, while the spy point sent like 11 photos or something like that and their customer service is a joke.

But I'm currently running 5 Coverts cell cams, 4 code blacks and E1. Best of the bunch they I've tried, the app is super user friendly and changing settings are simple. mind you their 400$ cams. and the ability to request a photo is nice and has an internal GPS tracking chip so i can see on my map where i left them or if ever stolen where they ended up to. Got them all hooked to external 12v battiers and last me the whole season, and get singal in places other cell cams won't. Then I got two Tactacams, Gen 1's, paid 140$ last year at cabbalas online, for the same price as a spy point, blows them out of the water. Can change settings remotely, takes really good night photos. And good plans for them too, only issue had was they one antenna broke while my backpack (but easily replaced) and its Red Led Flash, not black flash and scared a few big fellas last fall. And the interface on the app isn't as user friendly as Covert

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Camocam92
I'm running somewhere in the vicinity of 20-26 non cellular trail cameras in the spring/summer months and 8 cell cams currently. Ive run basically most the major brands out there over the years. And from what I've found for non cellular or regular cameras, Browning Strike force series, Covert Mp16, stealth cam Gn42's are my most consistent working cameras with good battery life, with the edge going to browning. But in saying that I probably run a lot Wild Game Innovations cameras from terra 8's to their 16Mp models, but either the lath breaks or one of those cams stops working every year

Spypoint..... Where to begin, I probably wouldn't spypoint camera if it was giving to me especially their micro series. I'm no beginner when it comes to running cameras, and couldn't for the life of get one to consistently work between network errors, firmware updates, the cameras hating Class 10 Sd cards for some weird reason. And the app interface isn't as user friendly as others, the pictures sent to my phone when they did send were grainy as hell and over exposed. And i put a browning strike force on the same tree as a link micro series and the browning took 150 photos with the same settings one night, while the spy point sent like 11 photos or something like that and their customer service is a joke.

But I'm currently running 5 Coverts cell cams, 4 code blacks and E1. Best of the bunch they I've tried, the app is super user friendly and changing settings are simple. mind you their 400$ cams. and the ability to request a photo is nice and has an internal GPS tracking chip so i can see on my map where i left them or if ever stolen where they ended up to. Got them all hooked to external 12v battiers and last me the whole season, and get singal in places other cell cams won't. Then I got two Tactacams, Gen 1's, paid 140$ last year at cabbalas online, for the same price as a spy point, blows them out of the water. Can change settings remotely, takes really good night photos. And good plans for them too, only issue had was they one antenna broke while my backpack (but easily replaced) and its Red Led Flash, not black flash and scared a few big fellas last fall. And the interface on the app isn't as user friendly as Covert

Right on ….. the Covert Code Black is awesome for all the points you mentioned. Yes a little expensive but the photo request availability, great signal coverage, GPS tracking feature and map location, etc. etc. is second to none. Photos sent to my iPhone within 20seconds and settings (Trigger Intervals / Time Lapse) can be changed remotely on my iPhone. My 12V battery lasted all season as well.

Also agree that the new Tactacam Revel cell cam is a far superior cam than the Spypoint. No comparison.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man you fellas are into the game camera’s big time! Thanks for all the great info🦌🦌🦌

·
Registered
54 Posts
Costco has a StealthCam PXV26NG camera kit (includes batteries, memory card, card reader and mount) on sale for $100 before tax.
Should I stay away from this one or are these usually OK?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd stay away from spy point. I hear they end up having alot of problems. If you can put money out, loot at covert cams. They are a great running unit. The new Tactacam is really wicked also but good luck getting one for this season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Costco has a StealthCam PXV26NG camera kit (includes batteries, memory card, card reader and mount) on sale for $100 before tax.
Should I stay away from this one or are these usually OK?
View attachment 96611
Those StealthCam, PXV26NG packs a camera are decent for the price. Their a Costco exclusive with stealth cam. Fairly simple set up and decent night time pictures as they have 26 LEDs. But comes with all the accessories you need to start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts