Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to replace my old front bench rest with one that is adjustable and solid. What do you find works best for you?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have a Caldwell lead sled, completely adjustable.
Works well, the only issue i have with it is the weight tray, its too far back. It pops up and back when a round is fired.
Ive got about 45lbs in the tray and looking at melting the lead into a form and moving a portion forward to see if that helps

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Lead sled ?????? 🤦‍♂️ woosie lol

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Im looking hard at replacing my Caldwell Rock jr with the larger more expensive one. Looked at it during te last 22 LR shoot...nice , solid, stable set up !

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im looking hard at replacing my Caldwell Rock jr with the larger more expensive one. Looked at it during te last 22 LR shoot...nice , solid, stable set up !
Do you mean the Rock deluxe or the Rock Competition Bench rest. These suckers got spikes for legs. Do they do any damage to the bench top? I am looking at the rock deluxe at Amazon .ca

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Everyone I've ever owned has the adjustable , lockable legs with points on the bottoms...thats what holds your rest to the bench.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
I currently have the Deluxe rock...looking at the Bench Rest Competition model

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Forgot to mention...those smallntop bag that mounts to the Deluxe are chit !! Mine tore open three times from usage !! Some say a LOT of use..I say bull chit !! Cheap made leatherette for the fore end resting portion

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have the Rock deluxe...so far so good but I'll agree with Kevin that the bag is a bit flimsy. I had to put a couple of stitches in it and it's fine now.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bullseye London has been running a 50% off sale on Caldwell for a couple months. Not sure what they have left,might be worth a look if you need a new rest. I picked up a FireControl front rest a month or so ago from them for $150, regularly almost $400 pretty much everywhere else.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Thanks Caper !

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to mention...those smallntop bag that mounts to the Deluxe are chit !! Mine tore open three times from usage !! Some say a LOT of use..I say bull chit !! Cheap made leatherette for the fore end resting portion
Kevin, you are right. After some research on the Caldwell Rock BR Competition Front Shooting Rest several reviews mentioned the Poor quality of the bags for the front rest. One reviewer really liked the above bench rest, but replaced the front bag with a Protector model Owl Ear Front bag and used a Protector model Rabbit Ear Hard Bottom rear Bag. I like this set up especially for high power rifle bench shooting. If I buy this set up I will need to do a whole lot more shooting than present😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts