Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Bird

2K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
Made a bird feeder and put it behind the house and set one of my trail cameras on it Getting lots of different types, and this guy. I`ve got Cardinals both male and female but this one , which I think , is a cardinal, or just some odd ball colour phase. Anyone know what it is ?

Sky Plant People in nature Grass Tree

Bird Sky Plant Beak Grass

Plant Sky Bird Grass People in nature

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes. It is a female cardinal. If you watch the nearby trees and cover closely you may find the male cardinal “”0n the lookout “ while the female feeds. The same scenario happens when the male is feeding. Look for the female under cover keeping an eye out for danger.

#10 ·
I've seen a few over the years. I remember seeing the odd one when the snow was down too ! Back when I was young, early every winter, my mom would make me go down the road to the "mash" and cut 4 or 5 black spruce trees...drag em up over the road (1/2 mile or more) and stick them in amongst her big weigela trees...for the poor little birds ! They need some cover to stay warm she'd say.. ( I miss her so)
She'd always save her used lard, shortening and fat and mix it with bird seed and get me to put it out there for them.

Reactions: TonyM
#17 · (Edited)
Tony m said”
I've had a pair at my feeder here in Bedford off and on over the winter these last 4 years. Beautiful birds.”

We had them visit the feeder during the winter in Windsor. About five years ago we decided not to feed the birds any longer due to the amount of domestic house cats lining up on our fence lying in wait to attack the various birds at the feeder. The last winter we feed the birds I found the remains of at least a half dozen birds.
Apparently domestic cats are one of a song bird’s worst predators.

#18 ·
Yes that can be a problem. We had one guy sitting under the feeder occasionally this winter but he never caught anything and I put the run to him every time I saw him. We had two outdoor cats a few years ago and they definitely killed a few songbirds and lots of rodents. More mice than birds thankfully.

#19 ·
We’ve had cardinals here for 4-5 yrs. They tend to shy away from one feeder which is in the open but see them a lot at another feeder that’s kind of hidden amongst some trees.
We have a cat but she is old ( 21 now) and can’t catch birds or squirrels but does get the odd mole, likely cause they’re blind.

#30 ·
Haven`t seen any humming birds here at the new house Joe. Went from hundreds at the old place to zero here. I took down the humming bird feeder yesterday and am putting up another small bird feeder. Lot of Cardinals, Finches and other birds here. Got this pheasant that comes up on my deck every morning and attacks his image reflected in my patio doors. Pecks the hell out of them till I chase him away.

#27 ·
Climate change joe where ya been????
Ffs I remember swimming in May when I was a kid
Not sure if it’s federal or provincial so take your pick between the premier and the prime minister.
Just remember when the blue jays lose it TRUDEAU’s FAULT !!!!!!!
ps we have half a dozen or so humming birds here, had one about a foot from my face yesterday on the deck. We seem to have a lot more birds around this year then in other yrs.
Damn things start chirping before the sun comes up, the cardinals are the worst!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TrueGrit
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.