Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you enjoy shows about hunting, fishing, processing and cooking fish and game you may enjoy a few episodes of the show Bizarre Foods America I recently watched on YouTube. Even though this is a food/cooking show.

I really enjoyed the "Ozarks" episode. It had fishing for catfish and spear fishing for sucker, as well as hunting for bear, crow, squirrel and rabbit. They showed processing the bear, including rendering down the fat to make grease/lard, and cooking bear. The grilled marinated crow breast filets stuffed with fresh jalapeno peppers and then wrapped in bacon actually looked mouth watering! Some poor examples of muzzle control in a few scenes, but what do you expect from what is primarily a cooking show I guess?

The "West Virginia" episode was also pretty good with deer, squirrel and ground hog hunting, as well as a Road Kill Cook-off.

A couple of other decent episodes were Vancouver, Newfoundland, Alaska Wilderness and Alaska Inside Passage.

Sure makes you appreciate the bounty of wild seafood, fish and game that are available to us from the great outdoors!

·
Registered
451 Posts
"grilled marinated crow's breast"? Would have to be well marinated (and maybe me as well)!

I find it interesting to see what people can do with just about any meat/fish/vegetable to make it edible. My eldest brother always said that porcupine tasted great, and why not, its just another herbivore after all.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eastriver, I can't say I'll be rushing out to pop any crows for appys anytime soon, LoL. But if somebody put a platter of crow like those on the show in front of me I guarantee I'd be at least trying them. They looked awesome, and the boys seemed to like them, although skeptical at first.

I'd be curious to hear, should anybody watch the show, if they've ever seen anyone 'gut' a rabbit like the Ozark boys do? I expect they were cottontails and not snowshoe hare, but the anatomy would be identical. If it doesn't burst internal organs, tainting the carcass, it is the slickest way of gutting an animal I've ever seen. I'm going to have to try it to see if it works. If so it'd be a good way to immediately gut a bunny and begin cooling the meat, yet still keep the pelt on to keep it clean while hunting. Way different technique than I was taught, and I've never seen anyone do it similar.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that is how they were doing it, with the exception of the flinging between your legs part. Just slowly squeezing them starting at the ribcage and working back until everything simply bursts out the rear. They just pulled the guts out the rest of the way and detached, finished in seconds. Nothing looked to have burst either. I'd never seen that method before, but these guys were pretty slick at it.

Thanks NS_Sens

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone ever try bear rinds (exactly like pork rinds) left over after rendering down cubed bear fat for grease/lard? They looked very tasty too. A guy I worked with in BC was a big bear hunter and guide, and he always claimed his wife said bear lard made the best pastry, but I never heard him mention eating the left over puffed rinds.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Watched an episode of Meateater with Steven Rinella and he rendered down bear fat to cook the bear and then ate the fat chunks after they were rendered down so much, crispy little fat chunks, sure did look good.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw that show also, now that you mention it. Steve is a pretty hard core carnivore for sure. Did you see the episode where him and one of the guys from Solo Hunter tossed the coyote - hide and all - onto the fire and had a little BBQ? Now that was some bizarre food, holy smokes. There is a really great YouTube clip of Steve debating the ethics of hunting and eating meat with a staunch anti hunter at a news conference, and Steve destroys him with very intelligent and well spoken rebuttal.

If you've never seen any episodes of the Solo Hunter I recommend them. They are available on YouTube. What a career, hunt and guide all year and get paid to make hunting videos. Granted, they earn their pay and travel & camp in some pretty remote and challenging conditions, but I would beat the heck out of any 9-5 job tat is for sure.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Remi Warren yup sure did see that one. Seen every Rinella video guy is not only a hunting badass he is one intelligent fella when it comes to anything from the outdoors, watch some videos and ya learn quite a bit. His books are also unreal, just waiting for his next to be released in August..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts