Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend someone in Dartmouth and within 50 KM to take a Remington 870 Wingmaster barrel to get reblued?, also what is the best re-blueing process, is it hot blueing or rust blueing?. The barrel had some scratch/wear marks so past owner decided to paint it military green. Also much would someone charge to make this barrel like new?. Thank you in advance for help.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Sean Kettley in porters lake... Ironwood Outdoors (Outfitters) on face book. But I believe he's flying chopper in Labrador right now. He does spectacular stuff to old firearms..even manufactures some parts !!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sean Kettley in porters lake... Ironwood Outdoors (Outfitters) on face book. But I believe he's flying chopper in Labrador right now. He does spectacular stuff to old firearms..even manufactures some parts !!
Excellent prices Kevin. The last one I had done in Ontario was almost 300 bucks by the time I shipped it twice. Not a wingmaster but not much different either
Is "factory satin" the same as blued?. Thank you.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
It'd probably be a rust blued to give you the luster.you want..IF they even will take it that far.
Requires a lot of time in the humidity box..boiling ...slow rusting..carding off and repeat...a dozen times ? polishing needs to be done too. It's a slow lengthy process.

I know Brian Densmore in Middle Musquodoboit does rust bluing...he does some great work too I might add !!!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It'd probably be a rust blued to give you the luster.you want..IF they even will take it that far.
Requires a lot of time in the humidity box..boiling ...slow rusting..carding off and repeat...a dozen times ? polishing needs to be done too. It's a slow lengthy process.

I know Brian Densmore in Middle Musquodoboit does rust bluing...he does some great work too I might add !!!
exactly , nailed it , last time i rust blued a barrel , was not cheap for high gloss bluing , Time , materials and keeping customer happy was top priority

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
exactly , nailed it , last time i rust blued a barrel , was not cheap for high gloss bluing , Time , materials and keeping customer happy was top priority
Is "factory satin" the same as blued?. Thank you.
satin coated barrels are your bottom line barrels , no frills factory finish , high glossb
Barrels are same barrel but get preferential treatments to get that high gloss you aquire for finishing , my price is $275 and up not including shipping , its not a quick fix process .

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Pryor condition is everything !! Pitted..dented..gouged and rusted won't yield the results you're after...annnnd , it could add a substantial amount to what you're thinking it'll cost !

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Anyone recommend someone in Dartmouth and within 50 KM to take a Remington 870 Wingmaster barrel to get reblued?, also what is the best re-blueing process, is it hot blueing or rust blueing?. The barrel had some scratch/wear marks so past owner decided to paint it military green. Also much would someone charge to make this barrel like new?. Thank you in advance for help.
What is the barrel?? 12ga I assume fixed choke?? which choke ,vent rib or not and length

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the barrel?? 12ga I assume fixed choke?? which choke ,vent rib or not and length
12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster vented rib barrel, 3" chamber (magnum), 28" length, made in December 1985 (date code "XF"), screw in choke (not sure of the choke as I do not have a Remington choke tool. Thank you.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
any notches on the edge of the choke ?? I...II...III....or IIII

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster vented rib barrel, 3" chamber (magnum), 28" length, made in December 1985 (date code "XF"), screw in choke (not sure of the choke as I do not have a Remington choke tool. Thank you.
Thanks
Are you sure it is not a P for a 95 and there is not an express finished barrel hiding under that green paint which your description shouts to me not vintage wingmaster
Important to know since I cannot see anyone getting a deep blue gloss on one of those finishes

Remington didnot start installing rem chokes in their 870 barrels until mid 86 for mostly the 87 production year
Yes there was a handful of choke tubes installed in some factory 85 barrels but they were briley special square thread ( rare as hens teeth ) they were called and only in ducks unlimited 21 and 23" barrels. I have one and the only one I have ever seen and it is on a DU gun
Or do you have a 85 barrel with a tube fitted like a thin wall colonial by a smith
Any stampings on the barrel indicating choke if there is it will be a thin wall on the end
Cheers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
any notches on the edge of the choke ?? I...II...III....or IIII
The choke is screwed all the way in so I cannot see any notches.

Thanks
Are you sure it is not a P for a 95 and there is not an express finished barrel hiding under that green paint which your description shouts to me not vintage wingmaster
Important to know since I cannot see anyone getting a deep blue gloss on one of those finishes

Remington didnot start installing rem chokes in their 870 barrels until mid 86 for mostly the 87 production year
Yes there was a handful of choke tubes installed in some factory 85 barrels but they were briley special square thread ( rare as hens teeth ) they were called and only in ducks unlimited 21 and 23" barrels. I have one and the only one I have ever seen and it is on a DU gun
Or do you have a 85 barrel with a tube fitted like a thin wall colonial by a smith
Any stampings on the barrel indicating choke if there is it will be a thin wall on the end
Cheers
The date code on the barrel is not clear but I believe it to be "XF". On the chamber side the barrel was not painted green as the whole gun wast painted with the barrel attached, so I can clearly see the blueing (found on Wingmasters).

No stampings on the barrel indicating choke and the choke has 4 notches on the end so I assume it's a standard Remchoke, also the person this barrel came from showed me the Wingmaster that it was mounted to, the first digit of the serial number on the receiver was "W" indication date from 1984 to 1989.

Sidney
Dartmouth

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
The choke is screwed all the way in so I cannot see any notches.

The date code on the barrel is not clear but I believe it to be "XF". On the chamber side the barrel was not painted green as the whole gun wast painted with the barrel attached, so I can clearly see the blueing (found on Wingmasters).

No stampings on the barrel indicating choke and the choke has 4 notches on the end so I assume it's a standard Remchoke, also the person this barrel came from showed me the Wingmaster that it was mounted to, the first digit of the serial number on the receiver was "W" indication date from 1984 to 1989.

Sidney
Dartmouth
That's the visible notches I was talkin about Sid...there's 4...so Then it's an IC choke ! (( improved cylinder)

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts

1 - 20 of 50 Posts