Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
The choke is screwed all the way in so I cannot see any notches.

The date code on the barrel is not clear but I believe it to be "XF". On the chamber side the barrel was not painted green as the whole gun wast painted with the barrel attached, so I can clearly see the blueing (found on Wingmasters).

No stampings on the barrel indicating choke and the choke has 4 notches on the end so I assume it's a standard Remchoke, also the person this barrel came from showed me the Wingmaster that it was mounted to, the first digit of the serial number on the receiver was "W" indication date from 1984 to 1989.

Sidney
Dartmouth
If you can see the old gloss bluing and it has no choke markings and has a rem choke it is a 95 barrel not 85 receiver doesn't mean anything the way 870 barrels are switched
No such thing as a rem choke in a factory 85 and all 85 were stamped with their fixed chokes
So it is a good core for a high gloss reblue but IMO to get it right the cost will be close to a new barrel like I said I paid 300 some years ago to get a 28ga flight king high country pump barrel done since no chance of finding another and if wingmaster I would have bought a new barrel

Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
So what's the update Sid ???

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Blue it yourself. It's easy and cheap. Get a bluewonder kit for under $50 and spend an afternoon doing it.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Agree for a common 12ga wingmaster barrel. I like the blue wonder also. Just used it twice but was fine for the shooter guns I did it on
Nice job. What caliper is the rem semi
Cheers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So what's the update Sid ???
I have not done anything with it yet, just for my knowledge for my barrel which is the best method, hot blueing or rust blueing?, as I am obviously new to this. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Both have pros and cons
If you think you can take your time and follow directions , go for a cold blue you do yourself.
If youve got the setup for a hot blue and the time thats the way to go

If you're not comfortable doing it send it off to be done by the method of your choice

Ive done cold blue before with paste and it was pretty simple and turned out fine

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Soldered ribs sometimes can't be hot blued

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I think hot bluing came out in the 40's and most guns after that it is no problem
Wingmasters can handle it normally but not cheap
I know remington does complete firearms in canada
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
I've use most of the cold blue solutions. I really like the Brownell's products..the 44/40 and the Oxpho Blue work great !

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Joe...that Ithaca pump 20 ga you bought from my son eons ago was done with Outers blue kit

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
yup...just a tad

·
Registered
635 Posts
yup...just a tad
I did the barrel on my old Savage 340, must say came out very good, bluing was wore off almost to a silver colour. All I used was Casey Super Bluing. I am very pleased with it. Once it gets cooler I'm going to do the rest of it, bolt included, see how that goes,,

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
anything new to report Sid...or are you still kicking tires ??

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
anything new to report Sid...or are you still kicking tires ??
Gravel Agencies (as per Joe's suggestion) charges $400 (list on the link he provided) to completely reblue a whole gun which is reasonable price but when I e-mailed them and filled out the quote application form they wanted $300 + tax plus shipping both ways, Joe basically said that is what it would cost. So I have not done anything with it yet.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Gravel Agencies (as per Joe's suggestion) charges $400 (list on the link he provided) to completely reblue a whole gun which is reasonable price but when I e-mailed them and filled out the quote application form they wanted $300 + tax plus shipping both ways, Joe basically said that is what it would cost. So I have not done anything with it yet.
For that I think you can find a brand new barrel in canada
Cheers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
For that I think you can find a brand new barrel in canada
Cheers
As you stated I can find a brand new barrel with 3 screw in chokes and the choke tool, so I may sell this one "as is" and I am now looking for a new barrel. Thank you.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
As you stated I can find a brand new barrel with 3 screw in chokes and the choke tool, so I may sell this one "as is" and I am now looking for a new barrel. Thank you.
I will watch for one for you. Stock in canada is non existent right now for wingmaster ones some have express
take care

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I will watch for one for you. Stock in canada is non existent right now for wingmaster ones some have express
take care
Update
Been doing some looking today and I am blown away with the prices now. I will keep watching

Two things you may be aware of also is make sure it is not a LC barrel which is light contour the diameter is different and the fore end wood will be sloppy it will fit and work but sloppy
Also watch for new wingmaster barrels that have 3 1/2 chamber yes they made them
About 5 years ago gravel had a surplus of them and were dumping them for like 150 bucks new with one choke tube many bought them
I bought two to get them home to discover they will only fit the super mag 3 1/2 receiver nothing else. I sold one on nutz and still have one
Take care

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update
Been doing some looking today and I am blown away with the prices now. I will keep watching

Two things you may be aware of also is make sure it is not a LC barrel which is light contour the diameter is different and the fore end wood will be sloppy it will fit and work but sloppy
Also watch for new wingmaster barrels that have 3 1/2 chamber yes they made them
About 5 years ago gravel had a surplus of them and were dumping them for like 150 bucks new with one choke tube many bought them
I bought two to get them home to discover they will only fit the super mag 3 1/2 receiver nothing else. I sold one on nutz and still have one
Take care
Good to know, a couple of months ago someone on CGN tried to sell me brand new a 3.5" chamber Wingmaster barrel and when I told him it would not fit, he said he tried it on a 2-3/4" chamber Wingmaster and "it fitted perfectly", I knew he was lying, I HATE CGN. Thank you again Joe.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts