Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have had town police stop and talk to me while I have been shooting in the back yard. not for shooting where I should not but ask questions about getting setup/into archery/bowhunting etc. most of them are really surprised/impressed by how well I shoot at 30-40 yards. most of them really have no clue as to what laws a person might be breaking. but it is illegal to shoot within 182 meters of other dwellings without permission. I know of at least 2 backyard archers who are both shooting within 800 meters of not 1, not 2 but 3 schools.

·
Read Only
1,769 Posts
Yes it is illegal.But use some common sence if ur practicing in a back yard where the distances cant be met.If ur house is 10-20 ft from ur neighbor and houses all around.U should know the awnser ... ;) Ask ur neighbors if they have a problem with it.A little conversation and respect will go a long ways.If they oppose....so what??least ur not worried of a possible criminal charge.Hop in a vehicle and drive somewhere legal to shoot...easy peesy!!!(assuming if u have a bow ur a hunter and have a means of transportation)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
around our community there is usually not much problem with these kinds of activities and the neighbours. the smaller communities neighbors have a tendency to meet/know each other on a first name basis unlike larger urban areas where they will not/do not want to know their neighbors.

·
Read Only
1,769 Posts
around our community there is usually not much problem with these kinds of activities and the neighbours. the smaller communities neighbors have a tendency to meet/know each other on a first name basis unlike larger urban areas where they will not/do not want to know their neighbors.
True enough.I guess it all comes down to the situation.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
***NEW QUESTION***

anyone know if u can hunt bear with a bow in the chignecto santuary? I know deer is allowed with a bow but not sure about bear.
I'm not a bear hunter but I'm thinking the answer is yes based on the wording on Pg. 85 of the Hunting & Furharvesting Summary of Regulations:

Chignecto Sanctuary

Bowhunters with a valid licence and who are certified as qualified to

hunt with a bow, may enter the Chignecto Game Sanctuary with a bow

to hunt and take wildlife for which they hold a licence and for which the

season is open, within the period which coincides with an open season

for hunting deer. Hunter orange is not mandatory.

I don't think this is limited to only deer as long as you have a valid licence and are hunting during the deer season. But ............... I could be wrong so maybe site members who are bow hunters (bear) may be able to confirm or correct.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the sanctuary is now a wilderness area so there is some stipulations on access/travel and some hunting. at one time you could not hunt anything there until the general deer season opened. now that it is a wilderness area I think there is a stipulation on baiting bears inside the wilderness area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im sure its the same as a fire arm but i shoot with a rcmp officer every thursday night at an indoor range in a rink only in summer that is until they fire up the ice machine, i asked him about shooting in the back yard he said that most officers wouldnt bother you unless your neighbors started to call in complaints. He shoots in his back yard as well but like someone said before one day they may he having a bad day. Ill take my chances for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not a bear hunter but I'm thinking the answer is yes based on the wording on Pg. 85 of the Hunting & Furharvesting Summary of Regulations:

Chignecto Sanctuary

Bowhunters with a valid licence and who are certified as qualified to

hunt with a bow, may enter the Chignecto Game Sanctuary with a bow

to hunt and take wildlife for which they hold a licence and for which the

season is open, within the period which coincides with an open season

for hunting deer. Hunter orange is not mandatory.

I don't think this is limited to only deer as long as you have a valid licence and are hunting during the deer season. But ............... I could be wrong so maybe site members who are bow hunters (bear) may be able to confirm or correct.

Ok...thanks. I'll proceed cautiously. Just noticed the new 2015 summary booklet is available online. Might try to print a copy off at work if the secretary will let me :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Why not just give DNR a call and ask? Better to be safe, than uncertain.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Always the same song and dance around here....argumentum ad absurdum.

There is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Some members of this forum are obsessive about the letter of the law, and it's true - if you encounter the wrong CO, police officer, judge, etc. on the wrong day, you could be charged and sent to jail for doing just about anything. But if you use common sense and common courtesy, it's exceedingly unlikely anyone's going to hassle you.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
There is a huge difference in knowing the letter of the law and deciding not to follow it VS thinking what you are doing is legal. When someone asks a question it is much better to let them know what the letter of the law says and if they decide not to follow it then it is on their head.

The biggest problem is that a whole lot of people out there do know what the letter of the law is and actually think what they are doing is legal.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
we can all make our own interpretation of the law....and likely have no issue with some common sense applied.....but I think when a question gets asked....its best to get the right answer.

But i shot for years in a sub division....I asked the 4 surrounding neighbors and they were fine with it and I never had an issue.

Myself, I wouldnt do it without asking....

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
That is the point Bea, you were / are smart enough to realize that what you were doing wasn't above board but by getting the permission of those who were likely to report you, you cut down the odds of being reported.

The people who think shooting a bow in such a situation is above board would not have bothered asking the neighbours and may have gone so far as to argue with enforcement and then would have been very surprised when they were charged.

It is the letter of the law than can and will be enforced if the enforcement officer is having a bad day.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
So Who won this debate?Waye out there -I think.
Some asked why it is okay in a school,rink etc and on school grounds.Probably by special permit- which can be obtained.
Remember you can shoot firearms at clubs,set backs mean nothing there.(AMA,Hfx armouries,Bedford range etc.)
Most cops don't know the laws.The city of Hfx. has by laws concerning firearms but nothing about bows.

Now I have a question- when is a bow considered a weapon,is it by draw weight? A so called" kids toy bow"could fire an arrow with a broadhead and potentially kill someone.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Yes the definition by our highly educated government employees and politicians!
Many such laws/regs are very ambiguous,imo.
Yes we must use discretion and common sense.Many seem to forget some highly educated (( and many others)) HAVE NO COMMON SENSE.Im sure most here know people with no common sense.
By definition -a child's toy sold with suction cup arrows could be considered a weapon,and could shoot real arrows.
By definition- I could make a long bow,not make and/or attach a "handle", it would NOT be a weapon!
I think our laws/regs need a little (( or a lot)) of "re- defining"

·
Registered
1 Posts
A bow is treated the same as a firearm, you are only allowed to have it in a wildlife habitat if you are hunting or shooting on a range or transporting it to or from a few selected places. That is according to the regulations but I don't know of anybody who has ever been charged with shooting targets with their bow either in the woods or even in their back yard.

Like Deadeyes said if there is a complaint you could be charged with illegal possession of a bow in a wildlife habitat and in addition to any fine and loss of the bow it could also cost you up to 5 years of no hunting.

Possession and transportation of weapons

8 (1) Except when a person is lawfully hunting with a weapon permitted under these regulations, no person shall take, carry or possess a weapon at any time in a wildlife habitat without a permit to transport issued by the Department unless the weapon

(a) has been purchased and is being transported to the residence of the buyer;

(b) is being transported to or from a repair shop which has been approved or licensed by the Province;

(c) is being transported to or from an organized shoot;

(d) is being transported by the owner to a new residence;

(e) is being transported directly to or from a range approved by the Province;

Clause 8(1)(e) amended: O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(f) is being transported to or from another province or state where that person holds or intends to buy a licence to hunt or where that person plans to shoot at a range located there; or

(g) is a shotgun being transported to or from an approved dog field trial, a designated dog training area or other area where a dog is to be trained.

Subsection 8(1) amended: O.I.C. 2008-458, N.S. Reg. 376/2008.

(2) The Minister or a person authorized by the Minister may, upon such terms and conditions as they may determine, permit a person to transport and discharge a weapon during a period when, or at a location at which, it is otherwise prohibited by the Act or regulations, including use of a weapon on the first day of the week commonly called Sunday.

Subsection 8(2) amended: O.I.C. 90-841, N.S. Reg. 178/90; O.I.C. 2008-458, N.S. Reg. 376/2008, O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(3) Every person who contravenes any of the terms and conditions contained in a permit issued pursuant to subsection (2) is guilty of an offence.

(4) (a) No person shall possess a weapon in or on a vehicle at night unless it is encased.

Clause 8(4)(a) replaced: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(b) Clause (a) does not apply to a person who holds a valid Fur Harvesters Licence who is in possession of or transporting a .22 calibre or less rim fire rifle on an off-highway vehicle as defined in the Off-Highway Vehicles Act for the purpose of dispatching fur bearing animals caught in that person's traps.

Clause 8(4)(b) amended: O.I.C. 90-841, N.S. Reg. 178/90; O.I.C. 97-522, N.S. Reg. 101/97; O.I.C. 2007-229, N.S. Reg. 229/2007; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(5) For purposes of clause 80(4)(a) of the Act, the expression "in a case which is properly fastened" includes a trigger lock which, when attached to a firearm or bow, renders the firearm or bow inoperable.

Subsection 8(5) added: O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(6) Except as provided in these regulations, no person shall have a crossbow or bow in or on a vehicle or vessel that has the arrow or bolt in place for firing and the firing string drawn.

Subsection 8(6) added: O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(7) Subsection (6) does not apply to a person who holds a permit issued under Section 9 of these regulations and a valid licence and who is complying with the terms and conditions of the permit and licence.

Subsection 8(7) added: O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

Section 8 heading amended: O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.
Well that was a lot of word for incorrect information lol.

Carrying a bow and or arrows all across Canada is not prohibited and requires no transportation protocols. The only regulations are that of drawing and firing an arrow. Which vary from region to region. Most places you can't be in range of other private properties or have an arrangement made with neighbour's. Some regs say you must be on private land with a min of w-3 acres, and all back stops must be I'm place.
This person ask about target shoot on their property... not hunting.

So, no it's not treated like firearms, at all. Crossbows are the exception.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts