Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well that was a lot of word for incorrect information lol.

Carrying a bow and or arrows all across Canada is not prohibited and requires no transportation protocols. The only regulations are that of drawing and firing an arrow. Which vary from region to region. Most places you can't be in range of other private properties or have an arrangement made with neighbour's. Some regs say you must be on private land with a min of w-3 acres, and all back stops must be I'm place.
This person ask about target shoot on their property... not hunting.

So, no it's not treated like firearms, at all. Crossbows are the exception.
Not trying to argue here, I want to believe you are right on this, but, what you're saying doesn't appear to agree with the regulations quoted. It looks to me as if shooting a compound bow for any purpose is treated pretty much exactly like a shotgun as far as discharge setbacks go at least. I don't think you would be legal even if you were only target shooting out in the woods.

Section 11 (3) of the above regulations says - No person shall at any time discharge a shotgun loaded with shot, a crossbow or a bow within 182 metres of a dwelling, playground, golf course, athletic field, woods operation, place of business, agricultural building or public building other than a school.

In my case, I was transporting my compound bow from Bedford to Malagash last year. Based on the regs that was an offence right there. I would shoot pointing away from all roads, trails and other cottages. But, another cottage is within about 35 metres of the point I was shooting from. Therefore, I was breaking the law. Again, based on my read of the regs.

Do you have a ruling in writing or can you point to a section in the regulations somewhere that I'm missing or not understanding? Like I said, I'd really like you to be right! :)

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Well that was a lot of word for incorrect information lol.

Carrying a bow and or arrows all across Canada is not prohibited and requires no transportation protocols. The only regulations are that of drawing and firing an arrow. Which vary from region to region. Most places you can't be in range of other private properties or have an arrangement made with neighbour's. Some regs say you must be on private land with a min of w-3 acres, and all back stops must be I'm place.
This person ask about target shoot on their property... not hunting.

So, no it's not treated like firearms, at all. Crossbows are the exception.
It is the town by laws here that stops me from target shooting in my yard and by laws are the problem for most areas and makes no difference what my neighbors say
No member here has ever had a better understanding of legal requirements and helped us many times understanding them than wayne out there so my money is on him

Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
It is the town by laws here that stops me from target shooting in my yard and by laws are the problem for most areas and makes no difference what my neighbors say
No member here has ever had a better understanding of legal requirements and helped us many times understanding them than wayne out there so my money is on him

Cheers
CBRM bylaws are all over the map but I've yet to see one for archery. Since amalgamation they have slowly been making new by laws but many areas are still covered under their former town bylaws. For instance, GlaceBay forbids the shooting of airRIFLES, firearms and firecrackers but doesn't mention air pistols or bows. The Bylaw for the former city of Sydney I can't find online despite them saying its available. Former County of CB areas have no bylaw listed for discharge of anything that I've found. So CBRM is a hodge podge of rules. Most of it would allow shooting a bow as long as the required setbacks under provincial law is met.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Inside the old Sydney city limits is a No No for discharge of Bows or Xbows , a friend of ours across the street set up in his drive way with back stop and foam deer target with heavy wooded area behind just to try out his bow after it was tuned . Regional police showed up and politely said not to do it where others can witness it . But yet he has wooded area behind his house and they politely said we understand just take it inside that wooded area and fill your boots, still a no no but outta site and no one can complain and have us show up. What no one sees ,no one can report , bi laws clearly state no discharge , but as long as your being responsible , we got better things to do .

Two officers clearly stated bi laws but same time used very resonable tact in dealing with was most likely a complaint but not direct threat to safety due to actual set up .

Just stating what was told to everyone involved

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
CBRM bylaws are all over the map but I've yet to see one for archery. Since amalgamation they have slowly been making new by laws but many areas are still covered under their former town bylaws. For instance, GlaceBay forbids the shooting of airRIFLES, firearms and firecrackers but doesn't mention air pistols or bows. The Bylaw for the former city of Sydney I can't find online despite them saying its available. Former County of CB areas have no bylaw listed for discharge of anything that I've found. So CBRM is a hodge podge of rules. Most of it would allow shooting a bow as long as the required setbacks under provincial law is met.
Bows are included under weapons like air guns. Know this first hand after a visit when I first moved here and had my targets set up in the yard
One call from the dude next door and that was it plus the towns like glace bay are not separate since 1996 we are part of the cbrm and no different than other area in cbrm
Cheers

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Inside the old Sydney city limits is a No No for discharge of Bows or Xbows , a friend of ours across the street set up in his drive way with back stop and foam deer target with heavy wooded area behind just to try out his bow after it was tuned . Regional police showed up and politely said not to do it where others can witness it . But yet he has wooded area behind his house and they politely said we understand just take it inside that wooded area and fill your boots, still a no no but outta site and no one can complain and have us show up. What no one sees ,no one can report , bi laws clearly state no discharge , but as long as your being responsible , we got better things to do .

Two officers clearly stated bi laws but same time used very resonable tact in dealing with was most likely a complaint but not direct threat to safety due to actual set up .

Just stating what was told to everyone involved
Same thing here Walter when I shot in the yard or tried the police showed up. I had no area to hide:(
take care

·
Registered
875 Posts
When it comes to bylaws if the CBRM doesn't have a bylaw for it they fall back on the old bylaws from the previous municipal units. That's why they are still all on the website. So whats legal in one area of CBRM may not be in another since CBRM itself doesn't have one for discharging anything. Like I said Glace Bays say nothing about bows only firearms and air rifles,not airpistols,just rifles. I can't find the one for the old City of Sydney. Its supposedly online but the section on discharge shows up on the index but I can't find the text. Old County of Cape Breton has nothing in regard to discharge,other than nuisance firearms lol

I've dealt with enough cops over the years to realize many of them have no clue what the actual law is so don't rely on their opinion,look up the actual law. From what I read currently at my house I could shoot a bow as long as I meet the Provincial discharge distances.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
When it comes to bylaws if the CBRM doesn't have a bylaw for it they fall back on the old bylaws from the previous municipal units. That's why they are still all on the website. So whats legal in one area of CBRM may not be in another since CBRM itself doesn't have one for discharging anything. Like I said Glace Bays say nothing about bows only firearms and air rifles,not airpistols,just rifles. I can't find the one for the old City of Sydney. Its supposedly online but the section on discharge shows up on the index but I can't find the text. Old County of Cape Breton has nothing in regard to discharge.

I've dealt with enough cops over the years to realize many of them have no clue what the actual law is so don't rely on their opinion,look up the actual law. From what I read currently at my house I could shoot a bow as long as I meet the Provincial discharge distances.
Ok
Shoot one in town and see what happens. Let us know PLEASE
By the way there was no old one since I shot mine all the time in my other house here and moved in 97. Problem started after the amalgamation
where are firearms discussed
Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
I shot my bow in the side yard in Sydney Mines for years. Everyday after work I shot for 30-45min as long as the weather allowed. Never had anybody say anything about it. The cops drove by all the time,never said a word. I was visible to at least 5 neighbors and anybody driving down the street.

CBRM by laws are here:

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I shot my bow in the side yard in Sydney Mines for years. Everyday after work I shot for 30-45min as long as the weather allowed. Never had anybody say anything about it. The cops drove by all the time,never said a word. I was visible to at least 5 neighbors and anybody driving down the street.

CBRM by laws are here:
Just because you got away with it means nothing and what years. Guys still hunt deer also behind my house with rifles in town in 2021 but not legal. I also shot my bow in dominion and glace bay but not after 97 when I moved here
I found the section in the glace bay one you mention and it was written for fireworks and air guns and so old bows and cross bows were not even around here or approved for hunting
All I know is I CANNOT do it here any more which is why I sold my targets nor can anyone do it it any of the cbrm I have been told
Cheers

·
Registered
875 Posts
The problem may be the person doing the telling. Many police officers say something is illegal even when it isn't. Most figure nobody will question them.
I shot mine everyday till it was stolen in 2007. I never replaced it because I moved into the city after a divorce and I didn't have a yard to shoot in.
In Westmount now and the guy 2 doors down has a 3d deer target in the back yard. Haven't heard anyone complaining.
If you can find something besides a cops opinion that says bows are not permitted in CBRM I'll admit I'm wrong but from my research I can't find anything. I've tried to do my due diligence,if it's out there its well hidden.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Well if you call,ask for the specific law that says bows, not firearms and have them send a copy. I'd love to see it since I can't find it anywhere. Without it being on paper some clerks opinion is worth less than the cops.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Won't be me calling I know the answer
Think about this not allowed to fire an air gun but a bow or cross bow is OK because it is not noted
They are all classed the same as weapons under the act and that is what they use for their guide
Cheers

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Most regs have been changed to- discharge a weapon - so have many by laws.
Transporting a bow is not the same as transporting a firearm
You can carry a bow in the woods all year around the only stipulation in the regs is on arrows equipped with broad heads I live in the city but my backyard is very private only one neighbour can see into part of it and he doesn’t care so I shoot in the backyard all the time,outa site outa mind.

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Most regs have been changed to- discharge a weapon - so have many by laws.
Transporting a bow is not the same as transporting a firearm
You can carry a bow in the woods all year around the only stipulation in the regs is on arrows equipped with broad heads I live in the city but my backyard is very private only one neighbour can see into part of it and he doesn’t care so I shoot in the backyard all the time,outa site outa mind.
Isn't that the same guy that lets you fire your rifle in the back yard also since he knows you cannot hit anything over 20 yards regardless what you shoot so he is safe:D:D

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I called my councillor on what the ACTUAL Bi law is , there is none , due to the fact that certain parts of the CBRM were considered County land and the fact it was policed by RCMP at that time and deemed what was legal and what was not , those laws since been disolved and ratified into other laws Such as discharging a firearm in CBRM , BUT EVEN THAT IS ALL OF Cape Breton County and as we know it's hunted legally within given time frames of the yr . No actual way to police that bi law since its over ruled by provincial status .

We have a Archery Range , correct me if wrong still up and running and that is deemed legal discharge yr round , same as Provincial firearms range . Seems bows and x bow are in grey area and as long as set up with proper backstop and no danger to public peace or themselves , nothing is enforced .

My area Councillor checked this both with CBRM police and Bi law office , and Bi law office stated clearly it's more a Police matter same as Air Rifles than it is a Bi law matter saying it falls more into Provincial laws of safe discharge and distances in which case it's actually a Provincial matter than that in hands of the Bi law Dept .

It's every ones due diligence , We have another close neighbour who for now last 45 plus yrs and former teacher of mine just around the corner who has a back yard set up and visited many times by police and never a issue legally Provincial or Municiple or former City bi laws . Only reason he has visits is a nosy neighbour .

Hope this helps , Oh I do believe I figured out who Caperaway is and if so he is pretty on top of laws , rules and regs of safe handling of both firearms and bows/xbows

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Thank you Walter for looking into this
Like I said my experience with this was in thy late 90's but not with rcmp but the cbrm police
As far as caperaway he has referred to the old glace bay by law many time for air guns which now they say no longer exists so seems we have all learned something here
Take care
Joe

41 - 60 of 62 Posts