Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
I read through the Firearm and Bow Regulations in the Wildlife Act again this morning. My take on this is that those regulations apply within any municipality the same as they do in the country. If any municipality doesn't have its own bylaw they can simply enforce the provincial regulations the same as DNR or RCMP do in a rural area.
The regulations (see section below) say that. no discharge within 182 metres of a dwelling. So, unless you have written permission from ALL your neighbours living within 182 metres in any direction, if you shoot your bow, you break the law. Period.
Sounds like a fair number of police are being reasonable about all this. That's great! Unless someone is shooting in an unsafe manner they are not really hurting anything IMO. But, my issue is that I don't trust most cops to be reasonable, especially if it would cost me thousands to defend myself if they charged me.

"Discharge of firearm/bow near buildings
11 (1) No person shall at any time hunt, take or kill or attempt to hunt, take or kill wildlife with a weapon or discharge a weapon within 804 metres of a school.
Subsection 11(1) amended: O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(2) No person shall at any time hunt, take or kill or attempt to hunt, take or kill wildlife with a firearm loaded with a rifle cartridge, single ball or slug or discharge a firearm loaded with a rifle cartridge, single ball or slug within 402 metres of a dwelling, playground, golf course, athletic field, woods operation, place of business, agricultural building or public building other than a school.
Subsection 11(2) amended: O.I.C. 95-499, N.S. Reg. 96/95; O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 2015-239, N.S. Reg. 284/2015.

(3) No person shall at any time discharge a shotgun loaded with shot, a crossbow or a bow within 182 metres of a dwelling, playground, golf course, athletic field, woods operation, place of business, agricultural building or public building other than a school."

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Kinda What I was getting at Tony in a less direct way of quoting the regs , Just passed off what Bilaw dept said on the matter since discussion was on Bilaws not Provincial regs , but yet yes it falls under the Regs .

61 - 62 of 62 Posts