Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

British Columbia Gov. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunting

4K views 60 replies 15 participants last post by  50 cal 
Pretty good post from a nutz member IMO on this today

Lessons we should heed from the BC grizzly hunt ban

Today's ban on the grizzly hunt in BC should be a stiff reminder of what will happen to firearms owners unless a solid, vocal and united front is presented to the Canadian government. For too many years BC outfitters, management boards, local hunters all squabbled amongst themselves arguing about who knew what was best for management populations, and in many cases just plain old greed and self interest. Meanwhile, the anti's and the NDP organized, banded together and took away thier rights. Given the opportunity, the NDP will ban all hunting if possible. That is a given. Once hunting is no longer legal, the next argument will be:

"What do you need a gun for? you can't hunt anymore..."

The major difference between the left and right at the moment, is that the left controls most of the media and they are far more organized online, pushing any given political agenda 24/7. The right needs to combat this behaviour directly, vocally and calmly...without giving them further ammunition to use against us.

I don't have all the answers but Canada needs a united NRA-like firearms coalition that EVERY ONE OF US gets behind. It seems to me as of now their are multiple smaller agencies which wont help. We need to all get behind one, and just move forward.

A suggestion list

DO's:

• Every chance you get to protest, or defend firearms rights in your area, online or anywhere else, get involved, be vocal, firm, but polite
  • Write your local political representatives at every level, frequently. Try and call. Annoy them.
  • POLITELY correct ill informed comments and posts on social media, use examples like sweden and finland as solid examples of high gun ownership and low crime
  • Join an agency like the CCFR etc. I honestly don't know which one is the best right now but CCFR seems to pop up on my facebook a lot. Again, we need to unite on this front somehow
  • Join a pistol club and/or rifle range. Go to events they host.
  • Take up hunting if you have not done so already, purchase tags even if you can't fill them
  • Purchase a handgun or restricted rifle, even if you do not intend to use it. For 300 bucks or less it will assist in assuring your firearms rights
  • Get family members, friends, girlfriends and as many new people into shooting as you can, take away the fear, replace it with knowledge and fun

Don'ts:

• Argue online with other firearms owners about the need for certain types of firearms, eg semi autos or pistols regardless of your stance
  • Act like a jackass in public with your gun, or behave in a way the left wing media machine can edit or use footage to attack us all.
  • Delude yourself into thinking the ultimate goal of liberal and NDP governments is not an all out firearms ban, or at the very least severe taxes, duties, registration fees and excessive control
  • Become complacent thinking they will just restrict certain types of guns, because eventually they will come for yours too

Merry Christmas all, this war is just heating up...

don't sit back and let a gun (grizzly) ban happen to you too

I read a report that put the economic impact of wildlife watching at 55 billion vs 34 for hunting in the US. Hunters spend more per person, but there are a lot more watchers than hunters.

I don't think money would have changed anything. What got people riled up was trophy pictures and videos on social media. I would bet this would not even be a problem if people kept their pictures and videos off the internet.
It was a old 2011 report so please lets share the rest and put it into real perspective. From the report

So, don't treat the USFWS numbers as gospel. A few other things you might want to consider. The numbers are preliminary, with the final report due in November. Children are not included in the totals. And all of these numbers are estimates based on a survey of only 48,627 households contacted by the U.S. Census Bureau for interviews. In other words, they are not hard stats compiled over time.

The 2016 report is way more detailed and the wildlife watching group is quite a catch all. Regardless all are very important and create / support 1000's of jobs

https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/nationalsurvey/nat_survey2016.pdf

I have no idea how I happened upon it perhaps someone can supply a link if interested.

Just watched a video of a grizz chasing a cyclist in BC yesterday or today.when it ended another vid came on automatically I guess.
This was about the ban etc.This guy from some org is saying how good it is while video shows him out playing with grizzly bears ( made to look like in the wild).Of course there's pics of lots of dead bears by hunters in video.
My take on that video is like this guys saying grizzly bears are our friends and you don't need to be afraid of them.What kind of message is that!
As you can see it is really no big deal :)

KID1Tnk.jpg

I guess the point is most non hunting folks couldn't care less if you hunt some are just disturbed by graphic pictures of dead animals especially ones that are not deemed edible.Eklund is actually one of the tv stars that I can watch and I'm glad he actually showed cougar is edible. Some of the hunting stars especially the ones from south of the border bother me and I been a dedicated hunter all my life.I think some of their actions do hunting more harm then good.
Agree but IMO how does someone like him not post pics. That is how he pays the bills

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.