Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OTTAWA -- The parliamentary budget officer says it could cost the government $756 million to buy back guns now prohibited in the country, depending on how many there are in Canada and how the Liberals structure the program.
The high-end buyback figure is the budget officer's estimate for how much it would cost for the government to buy back every gun that the industry estimates is owned across Canada.
Industry officials estimate there are 518,000 guns in the country, which would cost $756 million to purchase.

Related Stories
Related Links
The government estimates a far lower figure, roughly 150,000 affected firearms, that the budget office estimates could cost up to $225 million to purchase.
The difference has to do with how many unregistered firearms are in Canada, which the budget officer notes is a challenge not unique to this country.
That unknown number, coupled with the unknowns of how the Liberals plan to build the program, leads budget officer Yves Giroux to say he can't give a detailed cost estimate for the program.
Among the details that the government needs to sort out include what pricing plan the Liberals want to use, whether the federal treasury would cover transportation costs for gun owners, and administration costs.
"There remain too many outstanding questions on how this program will be implemented to currently develop a complete picture of the true potential cost of the program," the report reads.
"Many of these details, such as the compensation structure and program administration costs, will have a significant impact on the overall cost of the program."
The Liberals' legislation, known as C-21, proposed a buyback of many recently banned firearms the government considers assault-style weapons. It was introduced in February, but never made it past second reading before the House of Commons took its summer recess.
The legislation followed a cabinet order in May 2020 prohibiting the firearms.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 29, 2021.

Just remember if they have a billion to throw at buying guns they should have money for everything under the sun.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Better tripple that estimate , as we know the defunct registry cost over 2 Billion

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
People would have to be out of their freaking mind to turn any guns in. If they are already restricted or prohibited … they may not have a choice. Our non - restricted firearms that fall on the ban list should never be turned in. Mine certainly wouldn’t be. Dumb and Dumber can kiss my arse.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
People would have to be out of their freaking mind to turn any guns in. If they are already restricted or prohibited … they may not have a choice. Our non - restricted firearms that fall on the ban list should never be turned in. Mine certainly wouldn’t be. Dumb and Dumber can kiss my arse.
Many already have. f'ken double posts I wish I knew what is worng

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Many already have. Nothing new it happens every time they ban some
Give a free pizza and they will be lined up or they were here before the long gun registry. I think halifax gave cameras
On the non restricted guys before thought that also until they found out the stores they bought them at turned in records of them buying them
They hold the cards and have a simple fix be caught with one and they take your rpal so then you own nothing
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
That's how you keep your post count on top ...pretty sly you old post hoar

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you expect people to do then 3macs1?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Here's how it works:

1. Sell yer AR-15 to gov of canada for 2K or so.
2. Put money in bank.
3. Buy similar Norinco or Kodiak Defence black rifle styled gun - isn't even restricted.

Even if a person was in favor of a gun buyback, it makes no sense. Cabelas web site showing over 270 views of the WC-180C in last 24 hours. This isn't a theory - people are ready to make that move ahead of getting the money.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's how it works:

1. Sell yer AR-15 to gov of canada for 2K or so.
2. Put money in bank.
3. Buy similar Norinco or Kodiak Defence black rifle styled gun - isn't even restricted.

Even if a person was in favor of a gun buyback, it makes no sense. Cabelas web site showing over 270 views of the WC-180C in last 24 hours. This isn't a theory - people are ready to make that move ahead of getting the money.
I am doubtful of people getting 2k.

Also what about the people with 6-8k 50 BMG's? or Safari rifles that are also banned.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
What do you expect people to do then 3macs1?
I expected them to fight prior to this becoming law and they didnot now now we must all bend over and live with it
I still think it is pure BS that we will get any money in the end
Know how many times I have heard that one in the last 40 years
No they will allow it to drag on so the 2000 gun will soon be worth 200 since no one wants them. So they may offer 200
Then they will offer grandfathering like the past and many will think wow what a good deal that is I could have lost my gun
Well fools you did
I have been there and watched and watched guns I shot become nothing more than useless safe queens but hey I was taking a stand and they were not getting my guns but hey I was special and had prohib on my licence
No they just tortured me for many years and will get them anyway when I die so I was nothing more than a fool
If they offer some cash or tax breaks this time my ar's are GONE
Cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am doubtful of people getting 2k.

Also what about the people with 6-8k 50 BMG's? or Safari rifles that are also banned.
I was going by the New Zealand price list. I'm not saying the program is just. It's not. I'm just saying that even if a person believed in the Liberals' point of doing this, it does nothing to "remove guns" and if a person was onside the policy, if they learned how fake this is, how it is just a gesture, they might dislike it for tax burden reasons.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going by the New Zealand price list. I'm not saying the program is just. It's not. I'm just saying that even if a person believed in the Liberals' point of doing this, it does nothing to "remove guns" and if a person was onside the policy, if they learned how fake this is, how it is just a gesture, they might dislike it for tax burden reasons.
No way they are doing what NZ did.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
This whole gun ban is nothing but a popularity thing for the POS. He looks like a hero because “he is taking guns off the street”. In fact … he is doing absolutely nothing to combat the real problem, but his sheep choose not to see it. My safes are full of “safe queens”. 95% of my “collection” never sees the light of day. Once I’m dead and buried … I could really care less what happens to them … but as long as I’m on this side of the sod … Trudope and his minion can go eff themselves.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
This whole gun ban is nothing but a popularity thing for the POS. He looks like a hero because “he is taking guns off the street”. In fact … he is doing absolutely nothing to combat the real problem, but his sheep choose not to see it. My safes are full of “safe queens”. 95% of my “collection” never sees the light of day. Once I’m dead and buried … I could really care less what happens to them … but as long as I’m on this side of the sod … Trudope and his minion can go eff themselves.
Unless they are all prohibs it is not the same. NOT EVEN CLOSE
You can shoot yours , hand them down, give them away and sell them for good money any day of the week
They are safe queens because you chose to make them that vs being told by the government

HUGE DIFFERENCE
Unless you are a current prohib owner you cannot understand the pain and frustration this grandfathering has caused

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Just to add it is about votes
How many do I gain by doing this vs how many I lose
His sheep don't care about the impact on crime etc they think even one gun gone is a good thing and want them all gone
Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts