Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to build a small hunting camp. I have an old travel trailer that I use as my camp / deer blind now. I want something that is not too big, but not too small. Here lies the problem … I wanted to go 14X16 … ish …. so it’s under the 250 sq ft. allowance, for no permit required. My stepson tells me it doesn’t matter what size I build it, it still needs a permit. So it looks like I might be up to some shady stuff. Starting to saw logs after hunting season, and hoping to have something built by next fall with bunks and a wood stove. Has anyone actually built a camp on their woodland without a permit ??? I‘m guessing most of the camps built, are done without a permit. I do not want to go down that road, having to deal with permits and inspectors. It’s basically a deer blind that I can sleep in, if I choose to do so.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I have no clue where you live but here everything pretty much over 10x10 is a permit ( every county is different so check ) and I would build nothing without one now since if you do and one was required kiss it good bye if found and it will be
I would go meet with those that handle such in your area and do it right from the start that way no issues in the future
Yep told for years didnot need them for greenhouses either since not a permanent structure until last year when they inspected and thank F"K I didnot listen and had them for every one and why did they come out google earth is their friend now she said so hard to hide any more
In the end you will sleep better if done legally and don't assume there are too few or inspectors are too busy to come check a camp they came and checked dam greenhouses TWICE
Cheers

Pretty sure Thunderstick can give you some good advice here since he has done it

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
It's a "wood storage shed"...the wood stove it to speed up the drying of the stacked firewood. The bunk is there so you can keep an eye on the woodstove while it's doing its job. Nachurly, the rifle is there for protection against yotes...hard horned deer and black bears...IF the need ever arises !

Ta-daaaaaaa....thank you...thank you very much !! 🤣

· Registered
5,078 Posts
I have decided to build a small hunting camp. I have an old travel trailer that I use as my camp / deer blind now. I want something that is not too big, but not too small. Here lies the problem … I wanted to go 14X16 … ish …. so it’s under the 250 sq ft. allowance, for no permit required. My stepson tells me it doesn’t matter what size I build it, it still needs a permit. So it looks like I might be up to some shady stuff. Starting to saw logs after hunting season, and hoping to have something built by next fall with bunks and a wood stove. Has anyone actually built a camp on their woodland without a permit ??? I‘m guessing most of the camps built, are done without a permit. I do not want to go down that road, having to deal with permits and inspectors. It’s basically a deer blind that I can sleep in, if I choose to do so.
If you believe it will not be a lot of value, and you got no issues with close nosey neighbors I would say why not. About three weeks ago home hardware had a good sale on 1/2 OSB $18.50 a sheet and 2x4's $4.40 a piece. I bought 85 2x4's and 42 sheets for $1300. Putting up a 14 x14 shed at my cabin or at the house. Not going for any stupid permit for that size (value). If it gets to a value that you think it would be best to have insured then you probably need a permit. My thinking, 14x16, 14x14, or 12x12 can be moved if need be.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
If you believe it will not be a lot of value, and you got no issues with close nosey neighbors I would say why not. About three weeks ago home hardware had a good sale on 1/2 OSB $18.50 a sheet and 2x4's $4.40 a piece. I bought 85 2x4's and 42 sheets for $1300. Putting up a 14 x14 shed at my cabin or at the house. Not going for any stupid permit for that size.
Did you got go the permit route with yours. I thought do did
Christ buckmark you have been talking about this for a while now :p:p you should have had it done by now

· Registered
5,078 Posts
I must add I built one that size one time. I had a loft over the front door (porch) and a loft on the rear upper half for extra sleeping space. Got some great hunting camp ideas of the web called cabanna cabins, check it out. I see they are on FB.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just doing a bit more digging … 215 and under does not require a building permit (Lunenburg co). …. As long as there is already a dwelling on the property. If there is no structure already in place, it appears a permit is needed. I want a simple structure. Not finished on the inside, no electrical … just basically a woodshed with an old stove. If I go the proper route … and get a permit … what friggin’ hassles will I Have to go through ???

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I was just doing a bit more digging … 215 and under does not require a building permit (Lunenburg co). …. As long as there is already a dwelling on the property. If there is no structure already in place, it appears a permit is needed. I want a simple structure. Not finished on the inside, no electrical … just basically a woodshed with an old stove. If I go the proper route … and get a permit … what friggin’ hassles will I Have to go through ???
Again you have to talk to the people in Lunenburg counry not us loons here:p You have no dwelling there and call io a shit house if you like the name means nothing just the footage I have built now 6 outbuildings all with permits , no actually seven counting the 12x16 shed and zero hassle as long as I followed their requirements and the garage even has it own NS meter and inspected for such. last one this year 2022
Only thing I remember here was don't make it bigger than stated on the permit smaller is Ok they frowned on that and make sure you put in where you draw it on the plot plan you submit for the permit
Cheers

· Registered
46 Posts
Been awhile since ive taken out a building permit,but there were quite a few hoops to jump thru if i remember.Multiple visits,inspections however that was for a home.We didnt take permits out for our camp,just cause i didnt know what they would require for waste disposal.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Life is full of risks. To me Permit = increased taxes, if you build something for cheap enough and assume the risk of it burning down etc. then you might be OK.

· Registered
201 Posts
I built a 12x16 camp back in 2018. Didnt pull a permit and have had no issues. I personaly wouldnt bother with the permit. If an inspector finds you building it just play dumb and he may make you pull a permit no biggie

· Registered
3,895 Posts
When we built the cottage/ camp , no permit was used , simply went the route as to a renovation , back then no permit needed for that as long as one wall One door and one widow of existing structure remained standing , 😂😂😂😂😂 yeah that was easy ! Even ripped out the floor beams and replaced with 8 x 8 hemlock and 2 X 8 doug fir for the rim joists had good lead from local guy with a mill at the time . Full
1 1/4 T&G floor boards run angled on joists and beams . Soon as all the walls were built , simply replaced one stick at a time of existing wall and left it the original configuration . Never had a inspection , taxes are still pretty much at par of what original was . It's still listed as woodl lot with older out building

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I built a 12x16 camp back in 2018. Didnt pull a permit and have had no issues. I personaly wouldnt bother with the permit. If an inspector finds you building it just play dumb and he may make you pull a permit no biggie
One is not playing not to get one in 2022 they are dumb and rolling a dice . But hey if one has time and money to waste especially now with the prices of materials fill your boots . I don't
How about they stop construction immediately and I know of one garage here it is over 3 years now they stopped construction and still no permit issued to proceed . An old camp it will be torn down no questions asked
Do people realize
In the Province of Nova Scotia it is a legal requirement that a building permit be obtained prior to any type of construction if not deemed exempt

And it has only been 4 years for you some they go back 20. I remember this one on TV at the time that was 10 . One of my greenhouses was over 12 when they came for it looking for the permit and were very clear down it came if I didnot have one which I may add they didnot since it was a paper system when I got it and not on the new computer system and they were too lazy to look in old files. All of mine since are in the locked box at the credit union

One must also check with that 215 square feet mentioned if that applies in your county since

New buildings containing less than 215 sq. ft. of floor space do not require a building permit but must conform to the National Building Code and Municipal By-laws. Also a Development Permit may be required to ensure compliance with the Municipal Land Use By-law.

· Registered
905 Posts
Buckmark, I'd strongly recommend you have a conversation with the local building inspector. I did that in HRM years ago and it was well worth the time spent! Won't cost you a thing and you will get a lot of really good information. Plus, you would find out exactly what kind of person you would be dealing with for the permit and inspection. If you get the impression he's an officious dick you may decide it best not to risk crossing him.
Tell him what you would like to do, what you think you would do for foundation and construction in general and what improvements if any you might do in the future. He/she will tell you what the minimum requirements are and what would be inspected. Mainly, I suspect they are concerned with fire safety when it comes to the kind of camp you are thinking about (no electricity, septic or water), though they would also expect to see things like proper joist span, window and door headers and rafters, etcetera of course.
To be honest, I expect it would be a really rare thing for them to go after you for a small rough hunting camp on your own private land. But, they can if they want to, and, piss off the right guy and they will.
In the end, a building built under permit and inspected will be worth more to you than one that wasn't should you ever want to sell it. And you would be 100% legal and not have to be looking over your shoulder forever.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Buckmark, I'd strongly recommend you have a conversation with the local building inspector. I did that in HRM years ago and it was well worth the time spent! Won't cost you a thing and you will get a lot of really good information. Plus, you would find out exactly what kind of person you would be dealing with for the permit and inspection. If you get the impression he's an officious dick you may decide it best not to risk crossing him.
Tell him what you would like to do, what you think you would do for foundation and construction in general and what improvements if any you might do in the future. He/she will tell you what the minimum requirements are and what would be inspected. Mainly, I suspect they are concerned with fire safety when it comes to the kind of camp you are thinking about (no electricity, septic or water), though they would also expect to see things like proper joist span, window and door headers and rafters, etcetera of course.
To be honest, I expect it would be a really rare thing for them to go after you for a small rough hunting camp on your own private land. But, they can if they want to, and, piss off the right guy and they will.
In the end, a building built under permit and inspected will be worth more to you than one that wasn't should you ever want to sell it. And you would be 100% legal and not have to be looking over your shoulder forever.
I agree but .Here is the issue it is never them going looking for you it is the prick that calls them and says Buckmark is building a hunting camp and here is the address and I am jealous or what ever. That is what happens IMHO and how most get targeted

· Registered
905 Posts
I agree but .Here is the issue it is never them going looking for you it is the prick that calls them and says Buckmark is building a hunting camp and here is the address and I am jealous or what ever. That is what happens IMHO and how most get targeted
I hadn't thought about that but you're right. That and they could find out by just dumb good luck, or bad luck depending on which side of the permit you're on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts