Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I forgot to mention that this camp would be built on my wood lot that is a fair distance through the woods from the main road. Out of sight out of mind. I'm assuming if I get a permit, I will need to use all stamped wood?? This Camp will be built using the wood off of my property. I have no idea how any of this permit crap works. If it's too much of a hassle, I'll put another travel trailer back there. Or build a camp on a trailer frame and pull it back

· Registered
5,073 Posts
I forgot to mention that this camp would be built on my wood lot that is a fair distance through the woods from the main road. Out of sight out of mind. I'm assuming if I get a permit, I will need to use all stamped wood?? This Camp will be built using the wood off of my property. I have no idea how any of this permit crap works. If it's too much of a hassle, I'll put another travel trailer back there. Or build a camp on a trailer frame and pull it back
You can use your own wood. There are people in your area to stamp it. Since the pandemic that has become a normal occurrence here. Since your camp is not large, extravagant or be off considerable value it would probably not be worth the pain of permits to me. My situation was different. My camp was to be a two story garage built first then a house, but when new bylaws forbit the garage going up first, and my wife becoming reluctant to build (bears) the county was were on high alert. It was big for a camp and next to the public eye also, so I had to play the game.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Get a permit get your lumber stamped. Not a big cost for permit. Someone sees or hears you sawing and hammering gets curious and checks you out and then reports it could be more costly , not just $$$ but time too. Permits really aren’t a big deal or problematic

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I really don't want to get involved in permits. I’m in the middle of nowhere, and want to build it with the lumber we saw from logs off my land, and whatever scraps of wood I can find. The only stuff I would buy is OSB and shingles for the roof, and I think I have enough shingles laying around from other projects. I’m really on the fence. I would like to go through the proper process … but then again, I don’t want the hassle from inspectors telling me how to build my glorified hunting blind.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
I hadn't thought about that but you're right. That and they could find out by just dumb good luck, or bad luck depending on which side of the permit you're on.
That is how one of my inspections happened and they told me that. Too many idiots out there today that have too much time on their hands and IMHO jealous. Other yes was the result of me taking out another permit
take care

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Get a permit get your lumber stamped. Not a big cost for permit. Someone sees or hears you sawing and hammering gets curious and checks you out and then reports it could be more costly , not just $$$ but time too. Permits really aren’t a big deal or problematic
Agree 3D my last one was 80 bucks. It is based on square footage I think and then you have piece of mind and people can kiss your ass when you are done

· Registered
17,692 Posts
I really don't want to get involved in permits. I’m in the middle of nowhere, and want to build it with the lumber we saw from logs off my land, and whatever scraps of wood I can find. The only stuff I would buy is OSB and shingles for the roof, and I think I have enough shingles laying around from other projects. I’m really on the fence. I would like to go through the proper process … but then again, I don’t want the hassle from inspectors telling me how to build my glorified hunting blind.
Then look over your shoulder about it for the rest of your life and don't come here crying when you see that yellow notice stamped on the door or expect others to support your illegal :p:pproject which it seems is the goal here
Already made a huge mistake coming on to a public forum and saying you were going to do it and in what county
You and I have no clue who visits here or who knows who buckmark is even where he hunts . And there is no middle of no where any more with google maps and drones and jealous people that cannot mind their own business
If I was going to do it and build with no permit (and I would not) I would build it on a old trailer with wheels that way it is no problem especially the size you are talking
Plus inspectors may never visit buit if they do you are 100% fine and only one building my garage did they tell me what I could use for materials and do multiple inspections right from a survey of the foundation but that was also 28x50 with it's own power supply identified from the start
Rest they could not careless what I used other than spacings etc for studs, floor and rafters but again greenhouses and a shed

· Registered
5,073 Posts
If you go the permit route you will have to acknowledge what it is going to be used for. Once they know its a shelter to stay in every thing changes. They will make you do a perk test first. They will then make you survey approximately 2 acres out of your land to build on. If your land is not already surveyed prior that will be problematic and costly. Last time I checked here it was $5000 for 800 feet of cut survey line. Then they will need special tanks etc for sewage, grey water etc. What and how your building sits on will be another issue. Permits don't let you do a lot of things that you would normally do or think you can do. Many areas now have some pretty crazy bylaws. For me your building will be big enough if given a hassle done the road could be moved. Like I say I know what I would do for something that size. Build it, enjoy it. The fees involved in getting permits will double your costs. Think of what your cost will be to erect, do I need to ensure it because of its value, use that to determine permit yes, or permit no. I have seen such buildings erected over the years that wood cutters have been allowed as a shelter to eat lunch, warm up etc. No one tears those down. Maybe that's what you intend to build:)

· Registered
3,892 Posts
$80 bucks , ffs I paid $20 to build the garage , and then they were to fn lazy to even inspect the site and refused it , made one phone call and inspector was FORCED to come inspect the site and sign off on the permit . He was total AHOLE from get go cause he was made to do his job that the tax payer is on the hook for , plus the vehicle , gas , and so on paid by JQ Tax Payer !

Getting them down this way even to do new home construction inspections is horrible , they cry they are over worked and under paid . B.S. I say just rather refuse to issue a permit unless the hand gets greased. Many times I've heard certain contractors get permit no issue while others get run around for no reason .

There is a house in Forchu , 3 times roof had to be redone , twice the siding redone and windows had be removed and walls done again properly due to no inspections getting done PERIOD , contractors CUTTING every corner possible cause they all knew inspector would not come around due to distance from the office . And this place is surrounded by homes , it was people complaining about shady contractors cutting corners while home owner was not around that forced them to do the job they paid for . 5 different companies got hired and fired for B.S work . And this guy had all his permits in place but still got run around on inspections and contractors on both sides . Inspectors were called but never came around , We know this guy and he even said never again a permit or certified contractors , I'll hire a handyman who knows what he's doing .

· Registered
17,692 Posts
If you go the permit route you will have to acknowledge what it is going to be used for. Once they know its a shelter to stay in every thing changes. They will make you do a perk test first. They will then make you survey approximately 2 acres out of your land to build on. If your land is not already surveyed prior that will be problematic and costly. Last time I checked here it was $5000 for 800 feet of cut survey line. Then they will need special tanks etc for sewage, grey water etc. What and how your building sits on will be another issue. Permits don't let you do a lot of things that you would normally do or think you can do. Many areas now have some pretty crazy bylaws. For me your building will be big enough if given a hassle done the road could be moved. Like I say I know what I would do for something that size. Build it, enjoy it. The fees involved in getting permits will double your costs. Think of what your cost will be to erect, do I need to ensure it because of its value, use that to determine permit yes, or permit no. I have seen such buildings erected over the years that wood cutters have been allowed as a shelter to eat lunch, warm up etc. No one tears those down. Maybe that's what you intend to build:)
That he has to check into since every county is different and it depends exactly what he is building and for me only had to draw where the project was going on the original survey plot plan with the offsets to the lines as one example and it matters not want was done over the years it is different now and here cannot even build a fence anymore without a permit let alone a camp
I find your posts funny the cat before this life ( that dam near got killed on the side by side :( ) was saying don't build anything without one and now this new cat says build it with no permit

You stick man april 2022
Not going with permits also leaves one wide open to any complaints laid by near by land owners. Cost of building today, one wants to be fully approved for insurance reasons. That was a risk I did not want to take.
and
Walter a buddy of mine got nailed at tax time. He sent an appeal in. They used a drone to access his property, finding two older buildings built with no permits. He in turn had to pay or tear them down.

It is not the local county inspectors either one has to worry about finding it
It is those property tax dudes out of truro that as the lady said when I had a visit last fall from them . They have hired more people and on a major project to get every property in Nova Scotia up to the new high 2022 values over the next couple of years

· Registered
17,692 Posts
$80 bucks , ffs I paid $20 to build the garage , and then they were to fn lazy to even inspect the site and refused it , made one phone call and inspector was FORCED to come inspect the site and sign off on the permit . He was total AHOLE from get go cause he was made to do his job that the tax payer is on the hook for , plus the vehicle , gas , and so on paid by JQ Tax Payer !

Getting them down this way even to do new home construction inspections is horrible , they cry they are over worked and under paid . B.S. I say just rather refuse to issue a permit unless the hand gets greased. Many times I've heard certain contractors get permit no issue while others get run around for no reason .

There is a house in Forchu , 3 times roof had to be redone , twice the siding redone and windows had be removed and walls done again properly due to no inspections getting done PERIOD , contractors CUTTING every corner possible cause they all knew inspector would not come around due to distance from the office . And this place is surrounded by homes , it was people complaining about shady contractors cutting corners while home owner was not around that forced them to do the job they paid for . 5 different companies got hired and fired for B.S work . And this guy had all his permits in place but still got run around on inspections and contractors on both sides . Inspectors were called but never came around , We know this guy and he even said never again a permit or certified contractors , I'll hire a handyman who knows what he's doing .
Have the receipt. The one four years before that was 60
Also a house in the gardner with tarps on it for 2 years now that the job was stopped for no permit and buddy cannot even live there now know his BIL well so dammed if you do but really dammed if you don't

· Registered
3,892 Posts
Cut your wood , Mill , it , build it and never mind nosy people , they come around , simply ask them to leave , WOODS OPERATIONS IN EFFECT 😎😎 their safety is to keep out while in progress . You be surprised how many times that works .

· Registered
5,073 Posts
That he has to check into since every county is different and it depends exactly what he is building and for me only had to draw where the project was going on the original survey plot plan with the offsets to the lines as one example and it matters not want was done over the years it is different now and here cannot even build a fence anymore without a permit let alone a camp
I find your posts funny the cat before this life ( that dam near got killed on the side by side :( ) was saying don't build anything without one and now this new cat says build it with no permit

You stick man april 2022
Not going with permits also leaves one wide open to any complaints laid by near by land owners. Cost of building today, one wants to be fully approved for insurance reasons. That was a risk I did not want to take.
and
Walter a buddy of mine got nailed at tax time. He sent an appeal in. They used a drone to access his property, finding two older buildings built with no permits. He in turn had to pay or tear them down.

It is not the local county inspectors either one has to worry about finding it
It is those property tax dudes out of truro that as the lady said when I had a visit last fall from them . They have hired more people and on a major project to get every property in Nova Scotia up to the new high 2022 values over the next couple of years
[/QUOTE
I think I have said this a couple times. For me the expense was to great to not go with permits. Going to the office to declare I was going to build a two story garage first before building a new house to store my tools was not allowed with the new bylaws. So they said no, house first. When I decided to be stubborn about it and build a cabin from the two story garage plans instead they were on high alert. There is no separate inspections for cabins or camps, it falls under normal residential codes here. Every thing is the same, four major inspections, perk test, septic tank, surveying, NSP approval, even being off grid, etc. Lots of money$$$. My buildings has an approximate value today of $150,000 today. Be pretty foolish to cut corners there. I have stated the same in my reply, not going with permits leaves one open to any complaints by near by neighbors. My cabin is now 800 feet from a new dwelling. I knew it would get built up and I would be discovered. By going with the permits I am able if I choose to list and be problem free. If your considerable distance from others then one may think differently. I am in the process of building a 14x14 building either here at my residence or at my cabin. That cost is something I am willing to risk. Just paid $1300 for structural materials. It would be crazy money to get the permits for that especially declaring I would be staying in it. People should not mix the requirements for garage, or a shed size building with one you plan on staying in, totally different rules apply there. I have mentioned this before. Most cabins even going with permits in parts of Nova Scotia are called seasonal. Seasonal means no winter use, no closed up walls, insulation. I know sounds crazy to be that way when one would spend so much to legally build. Again it comes down to where you build, how far out of sight from neighbors, and what your investing in it when making your decision.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Thunderstick said
I think I have said this a couple times. For me the expense was to great to not go with permits. Going to the office to declare I was going to build a two story garage first before building a new house to store my tools was not allowed with the new bylaws. So they said no, house first. When I decided to be stubborn about it and build a cabin from the two story garage plans instead they were on high alert. There is no separate inspections for cabins or camps, it falls under normal residential codes here. Every thing is the same, four major inspections, perk test, septic tank, surveying, NSP approval, even being off grid, etc. Lots of money$$$. My buildings has an approximate value today of $150,000 today. Be pretty foolish to cut corners there. I have stated the same in my reply, not going with permits leaves one open to any complaints by near by neighbors. My cabin is now 800 feet from a new dwelling. I knew it would get built up and I would be discovered. By going with the permits I am able if I choose to list and be problem free. If your considerable distance from others then one may think differently. I am in the process of building a 14x14 building either here at my residence or at my cabin. That cost is something I am willing to risk. Just paid $1300 for structural materials. It would be crazy money to get the permits for that especially declaring I would be staying in it. People should not mix the requirements for garage, or a shed size building with one you plan on staying in, totally different rules apply there. I have mentioned this before. Most cabins even going with permits in parts of Nova Scotia are called seasonal. Seasonal means no winter use, no closed up walls, insulation. I know sounds crazy to be that way when one would spend so much to legally build. Again it comes down to where you build, how far out of sight from neighbors, and what your investing in it when making your decision.

Agree.

I still agree with Tony that it is important to talk to those that know and forget about what some did years ago or think they can still do
\
They have even changed the NS building codes in the last few years Oct of 20 20 to be exact and seasonal , camps/ cabins are now in it with special requirements/ exemptions and their own section and must be following if no dwelling on the property FIRST which is why that is, Cannot build a shed by itself any more or a cabin legally alone on a piece of land without the new codes being followed
Full details are in the NS building code under this section.which fully outlines what is and is not required but too long for me to read :)

Section 9.38. Recreational Cabins 9.38.1.
Scope 9.38.1.1. A
Application (1) For the purposes of this Section, a recreational cabin means a building with a residential occupancy which meets all of the following: (a) it is used or intended to be used as a single dwelling unit; (b) it is principally used for a seasonal recreational activity; (c) it is two storeys in building height or less; and R1 29 October 31, 2020 (d) it is not used as a permanent residence. (2) A building described in Sentence (1) shall comply with the requirements in Part 9, Division B of the National Building Code of Canada and in Part 3 of this Reg

I don't believe anything you now say :p:pI think you went from pussy cat in that last life to a bad black cat in this one :D:D and it all boils down to that. 1300 buck for a 14x14 must be a shack :) I just built a shed this summer for a friend 12x16 and it was 4500 before we were done
Then again maybe you are building a new cat house :p:p

· Registered
3,892 Posts
The Clown next door just got nailed for building a shed , 2 building inspectors just showed up and ripped him a new one for no permit , no certified trusses , steel siding put just rails for the roof , improper construction methods and using wood from pallets and repourposed wood . Was ordered to tear it down in 7 days or fines will be added to his taxes as way of making sure now fines are paid .

Seems they have cracked down on methods and types of wood allowed to do construction

21 - 40 of 64 Posts